The Student Room Group

Foundation to Health and Veterinary Studies - dentistry

I have all gcse's with 5 at a B and rest at a C. Currently doing a Level 3 Dental Nursing, and had Studied A levels in Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

HOWEVER, I failed my A levels miserably and I only have a C in English Language.

I have heard that the University of Liverpool offer a foundation degree. Will this affect my chance on being accepted on to the foundation degree? What can I do to increase my chance of being accepted on to the course?

Please help! :frown:
(edited 5 years ago)
Where do you live? I think Liverpool offers a foundation degree that might be applicable?
Original post by Hollyvikihughes
I have all gcse's with 5 at a B and rest at a C. Currently doing a Level 3 Dental Nursing, and had Studied A levels.

HOWEVER, I failed my A levels miserably and I only have a C in English Language.

Will this affect my chance on being accepted on to the foundation degree? What can I do to increase my chance of being accepted on to the course?

Please help! :frown:

The entry criteria are all available online although haven’t been updated for 2019 entry yet. If you have the 5 B grade GCSEs including Maths, English and science then they will look at your application. When did you do your a levels? The program isn’t really designed for recent school leavers. If you work as a dental nurse you will already have the relevant minimum work experience but if you can get some in different settings such as ortho/community/hospital or even just another practice to give you more insight it will help.

I was a dental nurse and did the Liverpool foundation year. Feel free to ask questions.
Original post by Amberooney
The entry criteria are all available online although haven’t been updated for 2019 entry yet. If you have the 5 B grade GCSEs including Maths, English and science then they will look at your application. When did you do your a levels? The program isn’t really designed for recent school leavers. If you work as a dental nurse you will already have the relevant minimum work experience but if you can get some in different settings such as ortho/community/hospital or even just another practice to give you more insight it will help.

I was a dental nurse and did the Liverpool foundation year. Feel free to ask questions.

I left school last year and don't start the dental nursing course until September!I won't be applying until about 2021 :L

Liverpool is the only one I'd like to go to, I have work experience in every kind of field. I've done volunteer work abroad too but I'm trying to do anything I possibly can (hoping the requirements won't change) to make my application as good as I can for when I apply.

What was your personal statement like? Do you apply through UCAS? And also what can I do to make me stand out from other people?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by redhelen
Where do you live? I think Liverpool offers a foundation degree that might be applicable?

Funnily enough that is the Uni I'd most like to go to as It's the one closest to me!
Reply 5

Can I ask what other qualifications you have? I'm thinking of applying next year. I'm just resitting some GCSEs in night class as my original were mainly Cs. I'm a qualified dental nurse and qualified dental technician with a foundation degree in dental technology. I've got 2 years experience as a nurse in private practice and 6 years as a dental technician in a lab. I'm also going to shadow max fax consultant and special needs dentist and his dentist before I apply. Do you think this is enough to get a place on the year 0 course?

Also, what does a typical day look like in the year 0 course? Is it monday to Friday 9am-5pm?
Original post by Dizzys1
Can I ask what other qualifications you have? I'm thinking of applying next year. I'm just resitting some GCSEs in night class as my original were mainly Cs. I'm a qualified dental nurse and qualified dental technician with a foundation degree in dental technology. I've got 2 years experience as a nurse in private practice and 6 years as a dental technician in a lab. I'm also going to shadow max fax consultant and special needs dentist and his dentist before I apply. Do you think this is enough to get a place on the year 0 course?

Also, what does a typical day look like in the year 0 course? Is it monday to Friday 9am-5pm?

Sounds like you have plenty of experience! You will need to get the B grade GCSEs as they won’t even look at an application until you have already sat the exams and got the results. Im a qualified dental nurse, got 10 GCSEs, a levels in maths, further maths and physics and level 2 customer service. Really it’s just the B grade GCSEs they want - in my year people varied from graduates of multiple degrees to just the required GCSEs.

Year 0 was at a sixth form college so more like 9:10-4. We had Wednesdays off except for a couple of taster days at uni. We had about 12-14 hours of lessons a week. We had more lessons in semester 1 and a bit less in semester 2. We had biology and chemistry pretty much each day we were in, professional studies was 2 lessons a week but sometimes these were independent study and in semester 1 we had health promotion as well 3 times a week.

I’m not sure how it works with foundation degrees and funding but if it counts as previous higher education you may have to pay some years of tuition fees. Maybe worth checking with student finance.
Reply 7
Sounds like you have plenty of experience! You will need to get the B grade GCSEs as they won’t even look at an application until you have already sat the exams and got the results. Im a qualified dental nurse, got 10 GCSEs, a levels in maths, further maths and physics and level 2 customer service. Really it’s just the B grade GCSEs they want - in my year people varied from graduates of multiple degrees to just the required GCSEs.

Year 0 was at a sixth form college so more like 9:10-4. We had Wednesdays off except for a couple of taster days at uni. We had about 12-14 hours of lessons a week. We had more lessons in semester 1 and a bit less in semester 2. We had biology and chemistry pretty much each day we were in, professional studies was 2 lessons a week but sometimes these were independent study and in semester 1 we had health promotion as well 3 times a week.

I’m not sure how it works with foundation degrees and funding but if it counts as previous higher education you may have to pay some years of tuition fees. Maybe worth checking with student finance.

Thank you for getting back to me! Yes I've asked student finance, and I do have to fund one year myself but I'm willing to do that as it's something I really want. I already have 11 GCSEs at grades C-B so just need to resit English, maths and biology which I should complete by June 2020 ready to apply for 2021 intake. I also have level 2 customer care and Level 3 BTEC in dental technology as well as my foundation degree and NEBDN certificate. I did sit a levels years ago but I was very ill at the time and was in and out of hospital so I gained an E in biology and and B in Art & Design. I really hope it's enough to get in as it's something I've wanted for a very long time. I've been out of work for 6 years as my son was born with disabilities so I was his main carer but my husband is now self employed which has allowed me time to get back to study and hopefully go to uni.

How are you finding the course?
Original post by Dizzys1
Thank you for getting back to me! Yes I've asked student finance, and I do have to fund one year myself but I'm willing to do that as it's something I really want. I already have 11 GCSEs at grades C-B so just need to resit English, maths and biology which I should complete by June 2020 ready to apply for 2021 intake. I also have level 2 customer care and Level 3 BTEC in dental technology as well as my foundation degree and NEBDN certificate. I did sit a levels years ago but I was very ill at the time and was in and out of hospital so I gained an E in biology and and B in Art & Design. I really hope it's enough to get in as it's something I've wanted for a very long time. I've been out of work for 6 years as my son was born with disabilities so I was his main carer but my husband is now self employed which has allowed me time to get back to study and hopefully go to uni.

How are you finding the course?

I’m really enjoying it so far. Year 0 was great preparation for the first year of dental school. First year was good but didn’t get to do much practical- they are changing the course though so you will be doing more practical in first year. Second year is supposed to be hard but I’m hoping I should be alright. The good thing about foundation year is the fees are a bit lower than standard so not quite so much to pay up front and because it’s part of the same 6 year course you don’t have to find foundation and then first year at uni.
Reply 9
Hi, I was wondering what the modules were like... i'm joining the course this year. Could you give me some more information. I'm looking to start revising ASAP! I'm already a graduate so I know i'll be fine but knowing the content for the following modules would be amazing. Could you help? Thanks!!!
Original post by mimi9555
Hi, I was wondering what the modules were like... i'm joining the course this year. Could you give me some more information. I'm looking to start revising ASAP! I'm already a graduate so I know i'll be fine but knowing the content for the following modules would be amazing. Could you help? Thanks!!!

Human biology and chemistry are the main topics to begin with. Biology starts on cell structure and cell membranes. Chemistry with atoms and bonding. Titration and calculations with moles. Any A level bio and chemistry text book will have most of it in so maybe get a cheap one second hand from amazon if you want a book. I found the hardest topics were the kidney and respiration but a lot of people found the chemistry harder. Professional studies and health promotion will be fine and no need to prepare for.

Good luck! So long as you do the work you will be fine. They prepare you really well with what you need to know. Do what you can for your portfolio before Christmas as it’s a lot busier in the second half of the year and people had loads of work to do all at once if they hadn’t done it earlier.

Quick Reply

Latest