The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Ask A Current Plymouth Student!

Hi I’m a life sciences student going into third year. If you’re a prospective student in 2019, have any questions about the course or life at Plymouth university send a message in this thread. I look forward to hearing from you and hope I can help ☺️

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone,

If you have any questions I'm here to help :smile:
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Hello everybody, my name is Emily and I am a Human Biosciences student here at the University of Plymouth. I am just about to commence my second year of the 3 year degree and am thoroughly enjoying it! I find it a really interesting course with great lecturers who are very helpful and give great feedback. If you have any questions about this degree or the University of Plymouth don’t hesitate to write a post. There might be other people with the same questions as you!! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi there! I am so excited to start the Nutrition course in September after going back into education last September ( mature student) and completing an access course ☺. Just wondering when timetables will be released so I can sort out work and still be making sure I earn money. Many thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi everyone!

I am about to start my third year of Biomedical Science at Plymouth university, so if you have any questions about the course, or even life at plym uni in general, please feel free to ask them on the thread below!

Jem x
Hi

I've seen a few threads pop up on this forum with current Plymouth students offering advice to prospective/new students, which is great!

As these threads aren't getting many responses, I thought I'd tidy up a bit and stick them all in here- that way people with more general questions about the uni might also be encouraged to pop in and have a chat.
I was wondering if you knew how much each year is worth for criminology and criminal justice degree or if you knew how i could find this out?
Original post by bethamiltonnn
I was wondering if you knew how much each year is worth for criminology and criminal justice degree or if you knew how i could find this out?

If it's not on the website, you could try emailing admissions.

Or perhaps @University of Plymouth might be able to help?
Original post by SarcAndSpark

Thank you, will try that!
How is the Biology with foundation year degree taught? For the foundation year, is the teaching done in lecture theatres as lectures or in classrooms like at alevel?
What are your views on the Russell group? I was always told that you have to go to a Russell group university to be successful and financial well off
Original post by MiracleLeaf
How is the Biology with foundation year degree taught? For the foundation year, is the teaching done in lecture theatres as lectures or in classrooms like at alevel?

I don't have direct experience of the foundation year, but in my experience degrees within the biological sciences schools tend to be a bit of a mix between lecturers and labs with some classroom style learning especially for maths modules. If you want more current information, why not email the uni and ask for more details?

Original post by GENERAL_MAO
What are your views on the Russell group? I was always told that you have to go to a Russell group university to be successful and financial well off

Personally as someone who's been out of uni for a few years now, I don't think it's true at all. The two most successful people I know didn't go to Russell Group unis and one of them got a 2.2! Although this does depend how you define success, I guess.

Most of my coursemates from Plymouth have got great jobs that they love, but most of them aren't that well paid because it's not a field where you earn mega-bucks in general.

The Russell Group is a research based lobby group- it's got very little to do with the experiences and prospects of undergraduate students. A lot of employers may have unis they like/prefer/think of as prestigious but most of them couldn't name all the RG unis, and wouldn't google a uni to check. I doubt many people think Russell Group when they see e.g. Southampton or QMUL, but they probably do when they see Bath, which isn't a member.

If you want a good career, from what I've seen, the best think to do is get lots of experience and contacts while you are at uni. Unpaid experience in your field, paid work experience in any area and networking all help people get great graduate jobs.
QUOTE=GENERAL_MAO;78383940]What are your views on the Russell group? I was always told that you have to go to a Russell group university to be successful and financial well off

Hi GENERAL_MAO,

This is a really good question and one I've asked myself many times. The fact is that this isn’t true! I went to a very impressive grammar school where students were expected to go to Oxbridge, and if not, then a Russell Group. I got really good grades and had the means to go to a Russell Group, but I declined all of my offers because in my heart I really wanted to stay in Plymouth. If anything, it made me work harder because I felt I'd have something to prove! It’s allowed me to grow my success as a freelance writer and make connections across the UK, resulting in a lot of headhunting opportunities. So many others around me have made a success from their time at the university, and they’ve never once been stopped by the lack of RG status!

In all honesty, everyone measures success differently. What I find is that you’ll be far more successful for being proactive outside of your degree, ie joining societies, running committees, and enrolling in extracurricular activities both socially and academically. If you make the best out of every opportunity, employers will recognise you for it and you will thrive. If you graduate with just a degree, employers probably won’t be that impressed! It’s all about what you make of your time at university :smile: I hope this helps!

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep
Original post by Bev1990
Hi there! I am so excited to start the Nutrition course in September after going back into education last September ( mature student) and completing an access course ☺. Just wondering when timetables will be released so I can sort out work and still be making sure I earn money. Many thanks

Hi Bev,

Timetable releases will vary for different courses, but from personal experience I could access mine from the start of September, around three weeks before my course began.

Hope this helps, and we look forward to welcoming you in September!

- Dani, University of Plymouth Student Rep
Original post by SarcAndSpark

Hi there,

The typical degree structure at Plymouth is as follows:
1st year: 10%
2nd year: 30%
3rd year: 60%

However, if you want to get more specific details, feel free to email a lecturer! They'll definitely appreciate your enthusiasm, and their details can be found about midway down the course page, here: https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bsc-criminology-and-criminal-justice-studies
Hope this helps!

Hi there,

Thanks for your question! I've contacted a student who did a similar science-based degree with a foundation year, and this is what he said:
"We did 3 modules in each semester, some of which were self chosen, and we had lectures every week for each. The practical modules had regular labs where attendance was compulsory and formed the basis for our coursework; the lecture content formed the basis for our exams. I believe exams/coursework was 50/50 split. The content for everything started right at the very beginning and progressed right up to degree level by the end of the year, 10000% recommend it to anyone in order to make it onto a bachelors!"

Hope this helps!

-Dani, University of Plymouth Student Rep
Original post by University of Plymouth
Hi there,

Thanks for your question! I've contacted a student who did a similar science-based degree with a foundation year, and this is what he said:
"We did 3 modules in each semester, some of which were self chosen, and we had lectures every week for each. The practical modules had regular labs where attendance was compulsory and formed the basis for our coursework; the lecture content formed the basis for our exams. I believe exams/coursework was 50/50 split. The content for everything started right at the very beginning and progressed right up to degree level by the end of the year, 10000% recommend it to anyone in order to make it onto a bachelors!"

Hope this helps!

-Dani, University of Plymouth Student Rep

Amazing thank you !! Did they say what the contact hours per week were?
Amazing thank you !! Did they say what the contact hours per week were?

I've just asked, and he said around 18-20 in foundation year. Furthermore, most courses at Plymouth have Wednesday afternoons off to allow for extracurricular activities within sports clubs and societies.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask, and you're always welcome to message us.

Reply 18
Hi!

I would like to know if certain halls are more popular with international students? I am applying for accommodation (as an international student) so I would like to know before making my choices. I don't have a preference for whether I'm in hall with mostly UK/EU students or international but I would just like to be informed.

Thank you :smile:
What is Plymouth like as a place? Nice?

Quick Reply

Latest