The Student Room Group

Why do so many people hate maths?

Scroll to see replies

Maths is one of my favourite subjects, and I probably like it most because it's logical and involves problem solving. A lot of the time in many schools (fortunately mine is an exception), maths is taught just as a series of steps to follow, so you have to memorise the steps and then do a lot of boring exercises that are useless once you understand the concept.

You actually need to understand maths to do it well, and the actual interesting part of maths is interesting proofs and learning new topics, rather than being told to memorise a formula (without even knowing where it comes from) then sit in an exam plugging numbers into a calculator to try and get marks.
Because I suck at it
Original post by CarysJSLewis
People aren't exactly going to be fond of something they're bad at

very true, people may not be good with numbers and some parts to maths are very VERY irrelevant. like when I'm older am I really going to use algebra or factorise or use simultaneous equations, but yeah it's everyone's different opinion and if you want to continue maths in your future...
they mad coz bad
Original post by chloewright11
I hate maths because i see it as pointless. the only bit i do agree with is learning percentages and decimals basically what we need in our everyday life. so why make us find the area of a triangle using trignometry or something, or vectors when its not relatable. the fact that it is a subject that requires application rather than memorisation makes it a lot harder to do and understand

You don't know the applications, that doesn't mean they don't exist, you just haven't learnt them yet.
I really wish I liked maths but I am just. so. BAD at it.
I WISH I had the logic to start solving a maths problem but the annoying part is, everytime I see something remotely hard on a maths paper, I panic. I have so little confidence in my answers because I was always at the bottom in terms of grades in my maths class. Even after practicing a ton of maths papers, I still get horribly stuck on something that should be "simple".
Sometimes, if not all the time, I'll have a method that is actually correct, but because I have so little faith in myself, I'll cross it out and do another method and lose valuable marks.
I like english better because I've always been praised and encouraged by all my english teachers. They all saw potential in me. I haven't met one maths teacher who didn't look at me like I was an idiot or who didn't get incredibly frustrated by my lack of confidence.
People are good at different things. I LOVE English and words just work in my brain but numbers just... don’t 😂 everything just goes in one ear and out the other and, considering maths is a core subject, not being able to do something is just stressful y’know
I definitely get what you mean - I'm in Year 11 right now and am working on olympiad problems
Original post by tomBch
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by 'a try lesson'. In terms of making maths more exciting, idk too be honest but perhaps showing the applications of it more early on so people see that all the numbers aren't pointless or something. Making sure everyone actually gets it is the crucial part, obviously in reality this will never happen but hey thats the way the world works

Sorry, this is a typo. I was talking about a dry lesson.

So you tend to practical lessons for higher mathematics? determine volumes of a shown object in a lesson by integration or exteme value calculation for instance? do you think objects as being part of lessons where it is properly is more helpful to get it? Is it that what you think of applications?
Reply 89
Original post by Kallisto
Sorry, this is a typo. I was talking about a dry lesson.

So you tend to practical lessons for higher mathematics? determine volumes of a shown object in a lesson by integration or exteme value calculation for instance? do you think objects as being part of lessons where it is properly is more helpful to get it? Is it that what you think of applications?

No when I meant applications I guess I meant how it can be used in the future in jobs eg finance/engineering/science etc, just to show that it isnt pointless i guess, cause some people think it is
Original post by tomBch
No when I meant applications I guess I meant how it can be used in the future in jobs eg finance/engineering/science etc, just to show that it isnt pointless i guess, cause some people think it is

Are there some concrete lessons in mathematics which are useless in your view or in students opinions with respect to jobs?
Because math can be done by a calculator or google search. English is a technique
Original post by Blueoceanpride
Because math can be done by a calculator or google search. English is a technique

So maths doesn't? You can't just Google something and find the answer directly or fully understand it, and no that's just not true that all maths can be done by calculator and simple Google search only. Maths is not as simple as adding or solving a simple equation to be able to always do it on a calculator or find it in a Google search. Anything that requires multiple steps requires a technique, you can't just get straight to the answer and always get the marks so there is a process which means you have to apply certain skills and knowledge.
Original post by Iahmed512
So maths doesn't? You can't just Google something and find the answer directly or fully understand it, and no that's just not true that all maths can be done by calculator and simple Google search only. Maths is not as simple as adding or solving a simple equation to be able to always do it on a calculator or find it in a Google search. Anything that requires multiple steps requires a technique, you can't just get straight to the answer and always get the marks so there is a process which means you have to apply certain skills and knowledge.

Yeah but you can do some maths with devices, you can’t write an English essay using Google searches so it’s more creative
Original post by Blueoceanpride
Yeah but you can do some maths with devices, you can’t write an English essay using Google searches so it’s more creative

That's not really to do with the subject itself though, but rather the Internet, you can plagiarise an essay but that wouldn't mean you are skilled at it, furthermore essay writing services exist which are basically helping people cheat, having an essay written for you is not help but just simply cheating.
With maths with algebra you can find the answer but it doesn't mean you understand the question and the topic or suddenly become good at it.
Reply 95
Original post by Kallisto
Are there some concrete lessons in mathematics which are useless in your view or in students opinions with respect to jobs?

No I don't think so but I don't really know too be honest
I like maths more than English but i dont hate either. I think the idea that a lot of people spout that people either have one sort of brain or the other is a load of crap. I know plenty of people who are good at both. I just think that a lot of people find it very difficult and hence dont enjoy it. The reason that so many people find it difficult is debatable really. I think its mainly just because maths ability is on a bell curve and only those at the top end can enjoy it as even people who are average at maths can find it difficult. Then again there are people who are good at maths but hate it and prefer english. Again these cases just come down to likes and dislikes.
Personally I think the main reason is that they're simply not good enough at it to fully understand it at the rate and style with which it's taught to them. So their lack of understanding snowballs until nothing makes sense, at which point I'd be very surprised if they didn't hate it.
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
I like maths more than English but i dont hate either. I think the idea that a lot of people spout that people either have one sort of brain or the other is a load of crap. I know plenty of people who are good at both. I just think that a lot of people find it very difficult and hence dont enjoy it. The reason that so many people find it difficult is debatable really. I think its mainly just because maths ability is on a bell curve and only those at the top end can enjoy it as even people who are average at maths can find it difficult. Then again there are people who are good at maths but hate it and prefer english. Again these cases just come down to likes and dislikes.

I really don't think that's the case but it's not like there's anyway proving it. Nothing will ever be the case with everyone but I've found that with the majority of people, if they're good at english they're not as good at maths and if they're good at maths they're not as good at english, I'm not saying you can't be good at both I'm saying that people are usually better at one than the other, and not just slightly. I've found this is the case with the majority of the people in my year, myself and my family.
I'm good at maths but not so good at english, my sisters were better or good at english, but my mum was also better at english but my dad is better than maths so I do think some of it could be linked genetically, but my family and my school year do of course not represent the whole population but it is something I have found commonly is the case.
So linking back to your point I think it kind of is the case that people have one sort of brain or the other, but as with everything it's never always the case.
Original post by Iahmed512
I really don't think that's the case but it's not like there's anyway proving it. Nothing will ever be the case with everyone but I've found that with the majority of people, if they're good at english they're not as good at maths and if they're good at maths they're not as good at english, I'm not saying you can't be good at both I'm saying that people are usually better at one than the other, and not just slightly. I've found this is the case with the majority of the people in my year, myself and my family.
I'm good at maths but not so good at english, my sisters were better or good at english, but my mum was also better at english but my dad is better than maths so I do think some of it could be linked genetically, but my family and my school year do of course not represent the whole population but it is something I have found commonly is the case.
So linking back to your point I think it kind of is the case that people have one sort of brain or the other, but as with everything it's never always the case.

I think Im good at both because my mum is good at english (and not so good at maths) and my dad is good at maths and hates english. I dont hate either but i am good at both. In my experience, people who are good at maths are also good at english. That is the case with all my friends as none of them are distinctly one way or the other. However there are people who are in top set maths but not in english however theyre usually still in set 2 and theres people who are top set english but not maths but again theyre normally set 2. So really i dont think theres that distinct a boundary. A lot of it has to do with interest as well, i think people are better at subjects that they like because they put more work into it. I also think people confuse not liking a subject with not being good at it. People who particularly like maths may grow to resent english so put little work into it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending