The Student Room Group

Why do so many girls dislike football?

Fair enough if you haven't been brought up around it and you're not a die hard fan, but why call it boring (especially when you haven't given it a chance)? Of course there are girls who enjoy the game but they're most definitely in the minority. I'm also aware not every boy likes football.

I watch a range of things on tv, but a football match never fails to excite me. You never know how things are going to go.

Strange as well because so many footballers are fantastic looking so you'd think there'd at least be that appeal.

I know we all have different tastes but why do so many girls find football so unappealing, whether they've seen a game or not.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by evisu
Fair enough if you haven't been brought up around it and you're not a die hard fan, but why call it boring (especially when you haven't given it a chance)? Of course there are girls who enjoy the game but they're most definitely in the minority. I'm also aware not every boy likes football.

I watch a range of things on tv, but a football match never fails to excite me. You never know how things are going to go.

Strange as well because so many footballers are fantastic looking so you'd think there'd at least be that appeal.

I know we all have different tastes but why do so many girls find football so unappealing, whether they've seen a game or not.

I love football but as a guy (who likes it) I can't help here. @CleverSquirrel might be able to help!

But I just think its more appealing to guys overall. My cousin changed her mind after going to a live game - loves it now!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jack22031994
I love football but as a guy (who likes it) I can't help here. @CleverSquirrel might be able to help!

But I just think its more appealing to guys overall. My cousin changed her mind after going to a live game - loves it now!

But why does it appeal to guys more? Why do we find it so much more enjoyable? I mean I know why I like it, but I don't know why so many girls don't feel the same way.
gay alert...fantastic looking?
Mainly because it’s seen as a guy sport. I mean when you hear football, you mainly think about 22 guys getting down and dirty in a rectangle pitch, playing with a ball. Hardly a sport appealing to girls.
I don’t know tbh but it’s just not entertaining to some of us. I don’t really find sports on tv entertaining because I enjoy watching other things so there’s that
Original post by evisu
But why does it appeal to guys more? Why do we find it so much more enjoyable? I mean I know why I like it, but I don't know why so many girls don't feel the same way.

Maybe because it is seen as a 'mans game.' You know 'down the pub with the lads' etc

If a girl does like it, for some reason she is easily more attractive. :wink: :lol: (unless she's a Manc or blue nosed toffee then eww :lol:)
Original post by evisu

those fantastic looking guys.
Reply 8
Original post by ProRoadman
Mainly because it’s seen as a guy sport. I mean when you hear football, you mainly think about 22 guys getting down and dirty in a rectangle pitch, playing with a ball. Hardly a sport appealing to girls.

How can the thought of 22 athletic men getting down and dirty not appeal to (straight) women?
Reply 9
Original post by susu66s
I don’t know tbh but it’s just not entertaining to some of us. I don’t really find sports on tv entertaining because I enjoy watching other things so there’s that

Have you ever watched a 147?
Original post by evisu
How can the thought of 22 athletic men getting down and dirty not appeal to (straight) women?

See it once, that’s fine. Seeing it more than 100 times in a year gets very boring.
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
gay alert...fantastic looking?

What does my sexuality have to do with it?
Original post by ProRoadman

yup. it's confirmed. you're absolutely everywhere
My dad is a FIFA manager & coach, but for me, i don't have any interest in football. I don't know if its because i'm not good at it, but I just wouldn't sit down to watch a match unless my country are playing. I just prefer hands on sports- rugby, basketball, netball...
Reply 14
Original post by Chantell.Os
My dad is a FIFA manager & coach, but for me, i don't have any interest in football. I don't know if its because i'm not good at it, but I just wouldn't sit down to watch a match unless my country are playing. I just prefer hands on sports- rugby, basketball, netball...

What's his name? That's fair though, whatever sport takes your fancy.
Reply 15
I hate when people say 'it's pointless it's just running around on a field' and they've never actually been to a game. Everyone has different opinions about what is fun and what isn't, can't we just not knock each others' interests

I am a girl and it pisses me off when I get this shocked reaction when I mention anything to do with football. Yes I can name the entire Brighton squad and yes I know what the offside rule is, and yes I do happen to have a vagina - does that make me any less knowledgeable about football than my male counterparts? No. Does that mean I should be accused of 'trying to seem cool to the boys'? (yes someone did once say that to me) No. I've grown up in a family of die-hard football fans and I understand the attraction of the beautiful game, the community spirit of being part of something that brings together the most random selection of people, the excitement of seeing a team flourish after endless defeats, the highs, the lows, and everything in between. So no, It's not just men running round kicking a ball. And no, it isn't because I find them sexually attractive (I personally find that quite insulting to suggest, do women not have the intellectual ability to watch sport for reasons other than the attractiveness of the players?)
(edited 5 years ago)
I grew up with my brother, so my interests have been influenced by him. For example, we grew up watching WWE, football (barcelona is my favourite team) and playstation. I genuinly do like football (world cup getting me so gassed up lol), I remember playing top trumps younger and zinadine zidane was always a favourite. Most of my friends are girls and tbh I couldn't give two shits about what boy they like. So there are a few girls who do really like football.
Original post by evisu

Speak of the devil. Yesterday my form tutor was handing out a letter about football and she asks who wants one (I go to a girls school), noone other than me and this other girl put their hands up. After looking at the letter i realised it was a week club thing costing £60 and my dad doesn't approve of me playing football because he thinks that it isn't right for a girl to play football. I haven't told him that I like the sport either. Anyway, this different girl across the classroom says "none of us even like football" in a really snotty way then I stand up and slam my hnads on the table in front of her and tell her to her face "Speak for yourself you hermit!" I got a detention but it was worth putting my point across. I told my dad that I'm going to a week netball practise (because he views it as a girls sport) and I'm going to use £60 out of my bank account for it. I still think that it's pretty messed up how my own dad could possibly have such views. Point made. I'm out. *retreats back while bowing".
Original post by evisu

I don't care how athletic they are, footballers are dumb, brutish, self-absorbed, over-paid, loutish, entitlted, vain, glamour model chasing, many times sexual offending chauvinists. or at last speaking for england teams, but I am sure it's not better in other countries either. you can't be very bright if all you want to do is kick a leather sac from one end of a grass field to the other. I like athletic men but intelligent men are way sexier.
For some people there are activities that put football to shame.

Quick Reply

Latest