The Student Room Group

Why do so many girls dislike football?

Scroll to see replies

I’m a bloke and football bores me to tears.
It just doesn’t entertain me at all
Original post by evisu
What's his name? That's fair though, whatever sport takes your fancy.
Trust me, he's not bait like that.
Reply 23
As a girl I've never really considered it a boy or girl thing because I have female friends who also either love to play football or at least follow and enthuse about the matches. Some of them just genuinely like the sport and some of them just enjoy watching it since they find the players good looking.

Despite growing up with brothers and generally being boyish, I never liked football. I was always enthusiastic about basketball (playing it, not watching it) but football seemed extremely boring to me. I mean basketball is just throwing a ball in a hoop and football is just kicking a ball.

It probably has nothing to do with the sport itself but the fact that in most matches the ball is just passed between players and no one really scores so there’s no progress for the most part so it becomes incredibly boring to watch, which means that essentially for one and a half hours you’re just watching men run around a field.

It’s also really cringey to see men fall and assume fetal position after getting gently nudged, which is a reason why I don’t watch basketball either.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 24
In fact maybe the reason girls don't generally have an interest in football is because
1. NOBODY ASKS. If you're of the male sex it is assumed that you enjoy the sport but it is highly unlikely that a male will approach a female to discuss such topics. Thus, how are you to know whether she enjoys football?
2. It is still sadly a very male-dominated atmosphere in which the high testosterone levels and pack mentality leave women susceptible to sexist jokes and sexual abuse. It can be frightening to be the only woman present on the concourse.
3. Although not always the case, women are often smaller and naturally weaker than men, the experience of being crushed between burly blokes while everyone scrums to get through the turnstiles is both unpleasant and potentially dangerous.
4. It is assumed that we take an interest in football for the purpose of finding a mate. It somehow seems more appealing if a woman is able to critique the substitutions made at the last match and so we get accused of trying to be attractive to the opposite sex or perhaps, as you suggested, because we find the players attractive. This is degrading and humiliating
5. As there are many men who do not have an interest in football, there are women who genuinely have other interests and hobbies in life - it is not an essential component to life.
(edited 5 years ago)
I do enjoy it and get really into it, especially the world cup. but women wouldn't really watch it for the hot men because A. the game is interesting in itself and B. it's ridiculous to call them sexy coz they are dumb as foik, just listen when they are interviewed "at the end of the day it's a game of two halves ya kno what i means. someone's got to win, someone's go to lose, ya knoe what I means. unless it's draw ya knoe? de ya get me"
Reply 26
Original post by evisu
How can the thought of 22 athletic men getting down and dirty not appeal to (straight) women?

Because that's not attractive. Everyone finds different things attractive but personally I'll find a man attractive if he has good social skills, shows intelligent and enjoys living a meaningful life because I value those qualities in a relationship dynamic. Footballers tend to be more aggressive which suggests they have too high of a testosterone level, which is a quality I don't feel compatible with in a relationship. Muscly men are normally doing it to look sexually attractive but I don't care for muscles, how will that help me in a relationship? It just tells me you do too much exercise in order to focus your life on how you look and appearing 'strong' to fit the male stereotype of being 'manly' rather than caring about the things that really matter in life like helping others who less fortunate. I like men with a handsome face who is kind, open, understanding, loving. I like average male bodies the most.

Again, this is just my opinion. Some girls like muscly guys but for me it tells me a lot about what you value most in your life and I wouldn't like it if the answer was that you care most about your appearance. I want to share a life with someone who is into something more meaningful than that. Apologies if I offend anyone, I just like to express myself. I respect and I am open to your opinion too :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by petalsunrise
I don't care how athletic they are, footballers are dumb, brutish, self-absorbed, over-paid, loutish, entitlted, vain, glamour model chasing, many times sexual offending chauvinists. or at last speaking for england teams, but I am sure it's not better in other countries either. you can't be very bright if all you want to do is kick a leather sac from one end of a grass field to the other. I like athletic men but intelligent men are way sexier.

Very ignorant.
Reply 28
Original post by crumps
Because that's not attractive. Everyone finds different things attractive but personally I'll find a man attractive if he has good social skills and shows intelligent because I value those qualities in a relationship dynamic. Footballers tend to be more aggressive which suggests they have too high of a testosterone level, which is a quality I can't be compatible with in a relationship. Muscly men are normally doing it to look sexually attractive but I don't care for muscles, how will that help me? It just tells me you do too much exercise in order to focus your life on how you look rather than the things that really matter in life like helping the world. I like men with a handsome face who is kind, open, understanding, loving. I like average male bodies the most.

Again, this is just my opinion. Some girls like muscly guys but it tells me a lot about what you value most in your life and I wouldn't like it if the answer was your appearance. I want to share a life with someone who is into something more meaningful than that. Apologies if I offend anyone, I just like to express myself. I respect and I am open to your opinion too :smile:

Well yes I know that isn't the point of watching football. I was just responding to someone who said that men getting down and dirty wouldn't appeal to girls.
You'd be surprised at the range of men on a football pitch. Handsome men, slim men, muscly men, charitable men, intelligent men. Not to mention the talent, commitment, ambition, dedication.
Reply 29
Original post by petalsunrise
I don't care how athletic they are, footballers are dumb, brutish, self-absorbed, over-paid, loutish, entitlted, vain, glamour model chasing, many times sexual offending chauvinists. or at last speaking for england teams, but I am sure it's not better in other countries either. you can't be very bright if all you want to do is kick a leather sac from one end of a grass field to the other. I like athletic men but intelligent men are way sexier.

I like athletic men but intelligent men are way sexier.

YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN! I don't care for athletic men but if they show ambition for their sport, now THAT'S sexy. :love:
Reply 30
Original post by c9yyy
As a girl I've never really considered it a boy or girl thing because I have female friends who also either love to play football or at least follow and enthuse about the matches. Some of them just genuinely like the sport and some of them just enjoy watching it since they find the players good looking.

Despite growing up with brothers and generally being boyish, I never liked football. I was always enthusiastic about basketball (playing it, not watching it) but football seemed extremely boring to me. I mean basketball is just throwing a ball in a hoop and football is just kicking a ball.

It probably has nothing to do with the sport itself but the fact that in most matches the ball is just passed between players and no one really scores so there’s no progress for the most part so it becomes incredibly boring to watch, which means that essentially for one and a half hours you’re just watching men run around a field.

It’s also really cringey to see men fall and assume fetal position after getting gently nudged, which is a reason why I don’t watch basketball either.

I agree the dives in football can be annoying and take away from the game. As well as other sly tactics.
Original post by evisu
Have you ever watched a 147?

No
Reply 32
Original post by crumps
I like athletic men but intelligent men are way sexier.

YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN! I don't care for athletic men but if they show ambition for their sport, now THAT'S sexy.

Exactly, and they do. Talent and ambition are very attractive traits.
Reply 33
you're generalising girls a bit too much mate- im a girl and i love it
Reply 34
Original post by susu66s
No

Will knock your socks off. Watch one of Ronnie's.
Reply 35
Original post by 8ee
you're generalising girls a bit too much mate- im a girl and i love it

I know some girls like football but they're in the minority.
Original post by evisu
Will knock your socks off. Watch one of Ronnie's.

Ronnie who
i personally do find it extremely boring, i feel like it has no substance and if i ever do see it on, it just annoys me that they are being paid so much for so little compared to NHS workers and the like
Original post by evisu
Fair enough if you haven't been brought up around it and you're not a die hard fan, but why call it boring (especially when you haven't given it a chance)? Of course there are girls who enjoy the game but they're most definitely in the minority. I'm also aware not every boy likes football.

I watch a range of things on tv, but a football match never fails to excite me. You never know how things are going to go.

Strange as well because so many footballers are fantastic looking so you'd think there'd at least be that appeal.

I know we all have different tastes but why do so many girls find football so unappealing, whether they've seen a game or not.

Ikr it's weird! I'm a girl and I love football..maybe it's becaude women's football isn't always as exciting, receives less funding and generally less attention?
Reply 39
Original post by evisu
I know some girls like football but they're in the minority.

probably cause women don't have as many famous female footballers to aspire to as men have

Quick Reply

Latest