The Student Room Group

Desperate situation need urgent help now

I am a 22 year old who is starting an undergraduate course at Northumbria University this coming Semptember.

I am ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED however of sharing a flat in a hall of residence with students much younger than me who I don't know.

I found out today that most places in halls of residence for Northumbria students have been taken up, meaning I now have very little choice of choosing where I would like to stay there.

However, it would mean absolutlely everything to me if there were any mature students studying at Northumbria next year who would be prepared to welcome me with open arms at a place away from the halls of residence.

If there is anyone out there, please let me know as soon as you possibly can.
Original post by Altnabreac
I am a 22 year old who is starting an undergraduate course at Northumbria University this coming Semptember.

I am ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED however of sharing a flat in a hall of residence with students much younger than me who I don't know.

I found out today that most places in halls of residence for Northumbria students have been taken up, meaning I now have very little choice of choosing where I would like to stay there.

However, it would mean absolutlely everything to me if there were any mature students studying at Northumbria next year who would be prepared to welcome me with open arms at a place away from the halls of residence.

If it makes you feel any better I am an over 50 post grad student starting in September 2018 at Uni if Sheffield . I feel your pain. I’m trying to set accommodation myself. If I cannot get anything private I will probably be sharing also. Good luck....I’m sure you will find the right place as will I eventually.
Original post by Altnabreac

Hello, I am postgraduate myself and even if I don't live in student accommodation, I have a lot of friends who are older and are living there. So my advice is not to worry and just choose whichever you like best and maybe join some Facebook groups for your course or your accommodation. if you have some more question, do not hesitate to ask. Cheers, Anele
Don't forget that almost everyone will be feeling the same anxiety about moving in and meeting new people. You won't be alone in this. Also, for making connections, check to see if there are any societies or Facebook groups etc for Northumbria mature students.
My understanding is most accommodation teams will try to place you in with people around your age bracket as best they can to get a nice mix and ensure you have someone to talk to and even if not remember they will be in the same position as you be they 18 or 80. Just say "Hi" and offer to help them maybe carry something in, then take it from there.
Reply 5
I'm in halls in September and I'm 29... Not looking forward to it.
Reply 6
Original post by Evonium
I'm in halls in September and I'm 29... Not looking forward to it.

It'll be fine, your uni may place you in quieter halls or with postgrad and/or international students, which are usually quieter.

I lived in halls when I was an undergrad (32 at the time), and it was fine, and within hours the age difference was forgotten (same with the people on my course).

I'm going back to do my PhD this autumn so will be moving into halls at 37, I promise it's not a big deal at all, and if your flatmates are problematic, there will be staff that you can report issues to.
if you're lucky, your uni might place you with similarly aged people. i started at 21 and thats what my uni did, the eldest person in my halls block was 22/23 (cant remember) with the others being 19 turning 20 that year, it isnt that bad if im honest.
Just came across this article when searching for resources for mature students. Great post by the way. I am 26 and starting at Bangor University this year! It's going to be a bit of a change to live with a load of young people who for most it will be their first time away from home - I think if you contact the accommodation team at Northumbria they have some halls designated for mature and quieter students. (I spoke with them myself when considering whethher to go to Northumbria). I'm not sure what their contact details are off the top of my head but should be on (northumbria.ac.uk). Hope you find what your looking for and good luck everyone with your studies :-)
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi, do not worry about not having sorted accommodation yet! Here at Knoll Court we still have some rooms available for as little as £96 per week.We accommodate for all ages and you cant request your preferences if you wish to be in a flat with students your own age. We are located just a 2 minute walk from Northumbria Business school and just 5 minutes from the city campus. We have recently had a refurbishment and now have an onsite common room, gym and private study areas. If you are interested in seeing the rooms take a look on our website and if you have any questions drop us a message on our live chat.
http://thestudenthousingcompany.com/...e/knoll-court/
We would be delighted to have you here! Best of luck, KC Team !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending