The Student Room Group

Confused About AS Level Subjects

I intend to take up 5 subjects for the upcoming year and wish to join the sector of Mechatronics. Three of these would be Physics, Maths and Computer Science and I am confused about the other two. English has been a vital subject for me and, by far, one of the strongest. Moreover, Business, Psychology, General Paper, Economics, and Chemistry are ones that are controversial, including the former, English. Mates, please help me out in this one. Of these all, only Chemistry and English are familiar to me, all other would be new.

Scroll to see replies

Just take physics, maths and chemistry/computer science. You’re way better off doing 3. There’s no point doing any more than that because only 3 A-Levels count towards uni. Doing 3 means you can concentrate on nailing the grades in those ones and means you have way more free time to either have fun or explore hobbies and passions. Skip the other two utterly pointless ASes and learn to play the guitar or something like that if you want, or learn to speak Spanish I don’t care but why people do 5 is beyond me. They’re not like GCSEs!
ICT sounds a little off beat while I am looking forward to doing something innovative in my career life.
Just take 3. My mate took 4 and his life was ruined until he dropped one to make more room for revision for the others.

I also know a guy who took 5 and it’s extremely rare to do so unless you’re looking to go to Oxbridge, but even then 4 is probably enough
You don't require more than 3.
As far as I'm aware, no uni looks more favourably upon a candidate with 4 than one with 3.
Original post by TheTree0fDeath
Just take physics, maths and chemistry/computer science. You’re way better off doing 3. There’s no point doing any more than that because only 3 A-Levels count towards uni. Doing 3 means you can concentrate on nailing the grades in those ones and means you have way more free time to either have fun or explore hobbies and passions. Skip the other two utterly pointless ASes and learn to play the guitar or something like that if you want, or learn to speak Spanish I don’t care but why people do 5 is beyond me. They’re not like GCSEs!

But having 5 subjects may also help widen career opportunities more profoundly than the leisure time
That is more encouraging. Thank you
Original post by AzureCeleste
You don't require more than 3.
As far as I'm aware, no uni looks more favourably upon a candidate with 4 than one with 3.

But 5 subjects will help in strengthening the career stance. More qualified type of thing may provide a little push.
i don't know you've got this idea that having 5 is going to "widen career opportunities" that's not true. Also how are the a levels you mentioned "controversial"??
Original post by medic18
i don't know you've got this idea that having 5 is going to "widen career opportunities" that's not true. Also how are the a levels you mentioned "controversial"??

I am just confused about the minors. My major will be in Computer Science
Original post by ComicMage031
I am just confused about the minors. My major will be in Computer Science

There are no minors or majors in A level...?
unis will look at how you display the interest towards the subject beyond the academics. and when you say minor and major, are you referring to the degree?
Reply 12
If you do just maths physics and chemistry you can literally do almost any degree you want as long as you get the required grades.
3A*s>5As
If you're so adamant on doing more than 3 subjects, do chemistry as the 4th A Level. Doing 5 is completely pointless and will more likely than not end up being a huge mistake.

Also chemistry is not 'controversial' so you'll have no problems there.
But having 5 subjects may also help widen career opportunities more profoundly than the leisure time

Will your school allow 5? We don't even if someone has all top grades. You could change school and do IB if you want more subjects.
But 5 subjects will help in strengthening the career stance. More qualified type of thing may provide a little push.

In terms of A-levels that isn't true. After uni they look at your degree rather than the A-levels you did.....
Original post by entertainmyfaith
unis will look at how you display the interest towards the subject beyond the academics. and when you say minor and major, are you referring to the degree?

Yes, that's what I mean
I intend to take up 5 subjects for the upcoming year and wish to join the sector of Mechatronics. Three of these would be Physics, Maths and Computer Science and I am confused about the other two. English has been a vital subject for me and, by far, one of the strongest. Moreover, Business, Psychology, General Paper, Economics, and Chemistry are ones that are controversial, including the former, English. Mates, please help me out in this one. Of these all, only Chemistry and English are familiar to me, all other would be new.

Why take so many? Does your school enforce 5 AS subjects?

My school enforced 4 AS's, then you could drop one and take 3 onto A-level.

I would recommend take Maths, Physics, Computer Science and English and take all four onto A-level (rather than forcing a fifth). You have the core important subjects for Mechatronics so no university is going to snub you for taking a fourth that is just for enjoyment, plus it diversifies your skills.
Reply 18
Please listen to the people that have actually done a levels and realise that 5 is a stupid idea unless you are an EASY straight A* student

Quick Reply

Latest