The Student Room Group

Got a third, feel like a real failure and depressed.

Just received my results letter and got a third. Weeks before the exam board got together I emailed my supervisor who marked my dissertation and my program leader as my dissertation result was waaaayyyy lower than expected which resulted in me getting a third. Btw I failed due to difficult circumstances which started from second year in which people wouldn't be able to handle and probably drop out. So have I just wasted 3 years and could I get the dissertation remarked or retake the year? Don't even know how I'm going to tell my mum and my brother/sister, They got 1st and 2:1 and education in my household is important. I'm screwed for life.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Depressedatm
Just received my results letter and got a third. Weeks before the exam board got together I emailed my supervisor who marked my dissertation and my program leader as my dissertation result was waaaayyyy lower than expected which resulted in me getting a third. Btw I failed due to difficult circumstances which started from second year in which people wouldn't be able to handle and probably drop out. So have I just wasted 3 years and could I get the dissertation remarked or retake the year?

Please feel free to talk about the circumstances. Please don't be depressed over them. Maybe you could just retake the year due to the extraneous circumstances.
Original post by Pearlfection1
Please feel free to talk about the circumstances. Please don't be depressed over them. Maybe you could just retake the year due to the extraneous circumstances.

I spoke to my tutor who was my dissertation supervisor about the difficulties I'm going through she allowed me to miss lectures etc but wasn't useful with regard to how to going about applying for extenuating circumstances. I emailed my program leader again today I'll see what he advises. But talking to studentunion advice service appealing wouldn't do much atm as the exam board have decided the results already. I just want advice from anyone that got a third and what they did to move on from it.
I spoke to my tutor who was my dissertation supervisor about the difficulties I'm going through she allowed me to miss lectures etc but wasn't useful with regard to how to going about applying for extenuating circumstances. I emailed my program leader again today I'll see what he advises. But talking to studentunion advice service appealing wouldn't do much atm as the exam board have decided the results already. I just want advice from anyone that got a third and what they did to move on from it.

Sorry but I'm on set to get a first. So I don't think I'm much useL

Good for you.
Reply 5
I would see if it's possible to retake the year as that seems like the best option and would allow you to pull up your grades. Considering your circumstances they should allow this, if the programme director doesn't agree then ask to speak to the head of school. They usually have more sway.

If not you just have to deal with things going forward. It isn't the grade you wanted but these things happen. I would start trying to build some industry experience whether through a job or volunteering whilst you work part time or whatever. You just need to pick up the pieces and make a plan going forward. Goodluck op!
Reply 6

Doesn't mean you couldn't give some advice, instead it comes across as though you are gloating.
Original post by Justmac
Doesn't mean you couldn't give some advice, instead it comes across as though you are gloating.

Sorry that wasn't intentional.
Good for you.

Sorry I didn't mean to be putting you down.

I hope your problem is resolved. I wouldmt recommend having it remarked but see what the university can offer. Perhaps they could place you in the cohort graduating midyear as you've done quite a bit of work.
My oldest daughter got a third and had no extenuating circumstances just cruised.
However she is good with kids and I pestered her to volunteer at the local primary for the last few weeks before summer break and she loved it. So she was too late to apply for teaching so got a job as a special needs teacher assistant (one to one for Down's syndrome) and got glowing references from the school and was accepted at Newcastle uni who at that time did not accept anyone I think with less than a 2.1.
She is now a head teacher in a London primary school.
So there are ways to get the needed experience if you dig around and then that will count for a lot plus experience.

Good luck
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Justmac
I would see if it's possible to retake the year as that seems like the best option and would allow you to pull up your grades. Considering your circumstances they should allow this, if the programme director doesn't agree then ask to speak to the head of school. They usually have more sway.

If not you just have to deal with things going forward. It isn't the grade you wanted but these things happen. I would start trying to build some industry experience whether through a job or volunteering whilst you work part time or whatever. You just need to pick up the pieces and make a plan going forward. Goodluck op!

Yes I'm still waiting for a reply from my programme leader. Retaking the year would be a great result for me I'm hard working but thing just happened. 2nd year is worth 20% and 3rd year worth 80% and they only count 90 credits of 3rd with the dissertation worth 60 credits. So the dissertation ultimately ruined me. I was literally in shock when I received my dissertation result, and the marking strategy my supervisor used was inconsistent to other supervisor the feedback was ridiculous. But the student union service said it would be hard to appeal a grade result as they would basically take supervisors side.
In what? And what did you hope to do afterwards?
Sorry I didn't mean to be putting you down.

I hope your problem is resolved. I wouldmt recommend having it remarked but see what the university can offer. Perhaps they could place you in the cohort graduating midyear as you've done quite a bit of work.

No need to apologise I really meant good for you, I hope you achieve a first.
I'm not sure how cohort graduation would help?
No need to apologise I really meant good for you, I hope you achieve a first.
I'm not sure how cohort graduation would help?

That way you wouldn't have to do the entire year. You could just spend another few months fixing up your dissertation.
Original post by random_matt
In what? And what did you hope to do afterwards?

Not sure what you mean.
Just received my results letter and got a third. Weeks before the exam board got together I emailed my supervisor who marked my dissertation and my program leader as my dissertation result was waaaayyyy lower than expected which resulted in me getting a third. Btw I failed due to difficult circumstances which started from second year in which people wouldn't be able to handle and probably drop out. So have I just wasted 3 years and could I get the dissertation remarked or retake the year? Don't even know how I'm going to tell my mum and my brother/sister, They got 1st and 2:1 and education in my household is important. I'm screwed for life.

I knew someone who was in a similar situation. Their solution was to take a year out working and saving up for a masters (yes, you'd be surprised how many masters courses you can do with a third class undergrad degree). As long as you do reasonably well with the masters then your undergraduate degree result doesn't matter as much (in most contexts it doesn't matter at all, especially if your postgraduate degree has a very vocational focus and you did well). Remember, a full-time masters is just one year of study (albeit fairly intense). Just get your game-face on.
That way you wouldn't have to do the entire year. You could just spend another few months fixing up your dissertation.

I sent a lengthy email to my programme leader I'll have to see what he advises and move on from there.
I sent a lengthy email to my programme leader I'll have to see what he advises and move on from there.

Yeah.i think that will be the best thing to see after.
Original post by Axiomasher
I knew someone who was in a similar situation. Their solution was to take a year out working and saving up for a masters (yes, you'd be surprised how many masters courses you can do with a third class undergrad degree). As long as you do reasonably well with the masters then your undergraduate degree result doesn't matter as much (in most contexts it doesn't matter at all, especially if your postgraduate degree has a very vocational focus and you did well). Remember, a full-time masters is just one year of study (albeit fairly intense). Just get your game-face on.

I was thinking of doing a masters but then I read on here(several forums actually) that a masters wouldn't help cover a 3rd class degree. Maybe they were just being *******s or just telling the truth.
...But the student union service said it would be hard to appeal a grade result as they would basically take supervisors side.

Usually (maybe invariably) a university will not accept the appeal of a mark where it is based on the questioning of academic judgement so unless you can adequately show that the marking was flawed in some technical way (or that the marking was subject to bias) you'll be unlikely to get a favourable decision.

Latest

Trending

Trending