This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
VM490 - Sanctions against Israel, Jammy DuelThis house believes that the government should impose strict sanctions against the State of Israel for its illegal annexations of East Jerusalem and surrounding areas, its illegal annexation of the Golan Heights, its human rights offences, and the construction of settlements in the Occupied West Bank in contravention of the Fourth Geneva Convention.

In 1967 the State of Israel launched an unprovoked attack against the United Arab Republic (Arab Republic of Egypt today) and also fought against the Syrian Arab Republic and Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, during this war the State of Israel Occupied the Golan Heights, the West Bank, and East Jerusalem, the latter of which was annexed with the Golan Heights going on to be annexed in December 1981.

The State of Israel has also had an extensive Settlement building regime in the West Bank contrary to international law, Article 49 or the Fourth Geneva Convention states:
"The Occupying Power shall not deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies"

These are not the only breaches of humanitarian law by The State of Israel, over the last 2 months an average of 2 civilians a day have been killed on the Gaza-Israel border by Israeli forces including 13 children and 2 journalists along with injuries to 2096 and 175 individuals respectively.

Additional to this the conduct of the State of Israel in its invasions of Gaza has varied from legally dubious to outright illegal. It is not uncommon for the State of Israel to use white phosphorous munitions in civilian areas, something explicitly outlawed by multiple treaties if the primary purpose of the munitions if for their incendiary properties). Further, civilian casualty estimates during the last conflict in 2014 range from 765 dead to 1617 with UN estimates placing it at 1463, 65% of all casualties on the Palestinian side of the conflict including at least 44 in attacks against UNRWA facilities

These are but a few of the heinous and flagrant transgressions of international law by the State of Israel and we should tolerate these no longer, as such the government should impose strict sanctions against the State of Israel, limit diplomatic ties, and encourage allies to do the same.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, my distinction is thus: Israel is a western liberal-democratic and capitalist country, Russia is not.

I adopt the realist view of foreign policy and therefore that’s why I back sanctions on Russia and not Israel.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Connor27)
No, my distinction is thus: Israel is a western liberal-democratic and capitalist country, Russia is not.

I adopt the realist view of foreign policy and therefore that’s why I back sanctions on Russia and not Israel.
So international law only matters when you disagree with the government type of the other country?
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
DayneD89 Accidentally misclicked. Please kindly change my vote to abstain (Seat 8).
Dafios9128
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This looks to be quite nicely doing its job, showing that support for sanctions does not depend on what has happened, but who has done it.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
So international law only matters when you disagree with the government type of the other country?
Yes, international law is a fallacy, the only sovereign body at international level is the nation state.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay.
Gladstone1885
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tentative aye, the motion should be amended to include a framework for lifting the sanctions once the injustices have been rectified, and should call on the U.S. to leverage its foreign aid contributions to achieve the goals of the motion

Edit: just realized this is division. I've voted aye
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Yes, international law is a fallacy, the only sovereign body at international level is the nation state.
So suppose France or Germany was to invade the UK, break a great many international laws in particular human rights abuses you would be perfectly happy and want nobody in the world to do anything about it simply because of their government type?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say this motion has done as intended and demonstrated that for many sanctions against Russia are because of who, not what.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
May as well just chunk through the motion.

It is my view that the annexations are just and acceptable (even if international law technically says otherwise) as spoils of a legitimate war, the six day war being legitimate as it was preemptive action, on top of this for over a decade the Israeli government had stated that they see the closure of the straights of Iran as a casus belli against Egypt, this was reiterated immediately before the conflict and the straights were closed regardless.

Regarding WP munitions law states that they are only illegal if the incendiary properties are the primary purpose of use, this makes the Israeli use wholly legal, even if ethically dubious given the high civilian populations in the AOs.

This high civilian population denisty also makes high civilian collateral an inevitability, Israel can and should do more to minimise this collateral, but when fighting against cowards who use constantly use human shields it is regrettably unavoidable.
DayneD89
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The Noes have it! The Noes have it!

Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (329)
34.63%
No (621)
65.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed