The Student Room Group

German or Latin?

I have currently chosen Latin for gcse, but I am starting to have second thoughts. Latin has no speaking or listening exam unlike German, which is good: however, there is then a literature side to it which I personally find tedious. Maybe I'll enjoy the literature side- most likely not! Whereas, German seems to be more beneficial in the future, but I think I would struggle with the listening. What should I do: pick German or stick with Latin?
Reply 1
German - nobody speaks Latin now so it is useless
German is really rewarding and do it. ( i do it for alevel now although its hard its rewarding) I don't know much about Latin but i say do german. for German if you want to do it , i recommend you watching German tv programmes e.g Knallerfrauen on youtube or listening to German music and German podcasts e.g. Slow German mit Anik Rubins. It will definitely improve your German listening.
Depends which exam board you do. I took both Spanish and Latin and personally found Latin far easier. I did Eduqas for Latin and we only had around half a dozen texts to learn, but we didn't even have to learn the translation - all you need is a general grasp of the texts as the big 16 mark essay requires you to reference SMALL PARTS of multiple texts and picture source in ENGLISH as evidence; paraphrasing them is fine. The texts were either entertaining or had values so warped from those of today they were funny in how absurd they were.

As you said, the fact nobody speaks Latin makes it easier as there's no speaking or listening - they're all dead :wink:

For Eduqas you also only need to learn 400 words - versus the 2000+ on the spec for a modern language - so if you learn a single word a day you can answer the entire language exam as if it was English.

Do whichever you'd prefer, although MFL GCSE's are useful for many jobs, Latin's not useless since it has applications in science and law today, and is the root of many words in the Romantic Languages (English, French, Spanish etc.). Bear in mind though you'll be studying the course for 2 years so have plenty of time to improve at Speaking/Listening if you think you'd enjoy German more. Both options are good choices and have their merits, so go with your preference :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
I did both for GCSE and enjoyed them equally. However, it is important to note:
1) Latin is often considered prestigious and probably beneficial to have on a uni application ahead in the future, but German, as a modern foreign language, will open up far more doors for you in terms of usefulness and employability.
2) Latin is useful for learning the roots of language and helped me with my Spanish gcse (I took Latin, German and spanish for gcse and now do spanish a level) BUT you need to be dedicated to the literature side
3) Along the line, if you do a language for A Level, it's far more useful ro have German as a facilitating subject and one that boosts your employability too. Unis would generally prefer it too - look at their list of facilitating subjects. However if you enjoy Latin and succeed in it, defo take it further!
4) For Latin I got two separate gcses, one in language and one in literature, whereas German I got one. This might influence you ro take Latin ro get two gcses maybe? Idk!
5) not gonna lie, Latin could get very tedious and I got and a* in language but scraped a low B in literature because I hated the poets lol
6) German you have to do listening and speaking whereas Latin exams are all passive - just translating and comprehension. What suits you best?
8) whatever you choose, be aware if you want to do the other one for a level you most likely can't (ie you can't do Latin gcse and then German a level as you don't have the grounding)
7) finally at the end of the day choose what you feel you'll do best at xx
I took both up until gcse when I dropped German, this is a decision I have never regretted. Latin required a lot of work in terms of literature; you sit two lit exams for each you have to be fimiliar with around eight Latin sources. That said you spend two years learning them so by the time you sit the exam you’ll be a pro!

Although Latin is a dead language I found it the most relatable of the two over German as the most words in Latin are the same as in English. I found the course to be more organised and a lot easier to learn than German but that’s my personal opion. Having not to do a speaking exam was a great bonus, my accents are dreadful!

That said choose the one you feel most comfortable with, just because latins a dead language doesn’t mean German will be more useful in later life. Consider which subjects you’ll be taking the language alongside and how that’ll balance out. Good luck 😉
Reply 6
is german really hard or just like as hard as learning any new language would be? becuase im stuck between taking german and latin since i dont really like french and spanish
Reply 7
Original post by happiness2121
I have currently chosen Latin for gcse, but I am starting to have second thoughts. Latin has no speaking or listening exam unlike German, which is good: however, there is then a literature side to it which I personally find tedious. Maybe I'll enjoy the literature side- most likely not! Whereas, German seems to be more beneficial in the future, but I think I would struggle with the listening. What should I do: pick German or stick with Latin?

Original post by MediJoecre
Depends which exam board you do. I took both Spanish and Latin and personally found Latin far easier. I did Eduqas for Latin and we only had around half a dozen texts to learn, but we didn't even have to learn the translation - all you need is a general grasp of the texts as the big 16 mark essay requires you to reference SMALL PARTS of multiple texts and picture source in ENGLISH as evidence; paraphrasing them is fine. The texts were either entertaining or had values so warped from those of today they were funny in how absurd they were.

As you said, the fact nobody speaks Latin makes it easier as there's no speaking or listening - they're all dead :wink:

For Eduqas you also only need to learn 400 words - versus the 2000+ on the spec for a modern language - so if you learn a single word a day you can answer the entire language exam as if it was English.

Do whichever you'd prefer, although MFL GCSE's are useful for many jobs, Latin's not useless since it has applications in science and law today, and is the root of many words in the Romantic Languages (English, French, Spanish etc.). Bear in mind though you'll be studying the course for 2 years so have plenty of time to improve at Speaking/Listening if you think you'd enjoy German more. Both options are good choices and have their merits, so go with your preference :smile:

i know people say that latin is more useful in law but i feel like im not really suited to latin but i am thinking of taking law becuase with latin i know that there analysing involved and dedication or else it will becoe bring but i was thinking of taking german instead?
German

Quick Reply

Latest