The Student Room Group

What's the best way to get insured (new drivers)

Hi guys, I passed my test a couple of days ago and I am planning on getting a ford fiesta 13 reg from a family friend. My question is, what is the best, cheapest way of getting insured? Is there something to be said about going straight into insurance with no NCD or should one of my parents buy and insure it and have me as a named driver on the insurance? I'd appreciate any advice or personal experiences anybody has on the issue.

Thanks!
Insurance is gonna cost you thousands. I’d estimate 5k for that 13 plate fiesta. Is it truly worth it?

I’d recommend temporary insurance only for when u drive the car. It’s cheaper.
Reply 2
Original post by BDho
Insurance is gonna cost you thousands. I’d estimate 5k for that 13 plate fiesta. Is it truly worth it?

Nope getting it for 1.5k because he works for ford and he barely uses it so yeah pretty worth it. Do you build a no claims discount with temporary insurance?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by chemboi
Nope getting it for 1.5k because he works for ford and he barely uses it so yeah pretty worth it. Do you build a no claims discount with temporary insurance?

Great price. I tried to insurance a 13 plate Merc and the lowest price was 16k. With temporary insurance, you can build a no claims discount but it depends on the provider?
Reply 5
Original post by BDho
Great price. I tried to insurance a 13 plate Merc and the lowest price was 16k. With temporary insurance, you can build a no claims discount but it depends on the provider?

F*cking hell 16k??? I did some research into the insurance and its like £1750 total for the fiesta (it was £3k but I added one of my parents as a named driver to the quote, looked at black box insurance and put a voluntary excess of £500)
This thread is confusing. I'm assuming 5k was a guess at the buy price for the fiesta (even then, unlikely to be that cheap) and not the insurance. Whilst Fiestas are now practically at Corsa-level when it comes to insurance because literally everyone and their nan who wants an early, new, nippy project car as a first car is sporting a 1l turbo; I doubt it'd come close to that much. He could probably insure an ST for that much.

Original post by chemboi

Again is this £1500 for the car or the insurance? Since your mate working for ford doesn't change your premium. £1500 for the car is a cracking price.

& No.... you need a year on a single policy running through for NCB.

or should one of my parents buy and insure it and have me as a named driver on the insurance?

If you're driving it more than they are, this is illegal by the way - don't do it. You don't get ncb as a named driver either btw. Anyway my car (I'm in my first year) is a mk7.5 1l eco with all mods declared but I'm nearly 25. I only recently got the mods but originally I was going to be an idiot and box it, instead I phoned insurers directly and said look this is my age, this is my history in terms of accidents whilst on a provisional etc etc, also I plan to remap and mod the car in the summer, so give me a price now and if it's better than the benchmark I set (3 grand) and you'll cover my mods later on at whatever price - I'll go with it.

2200, which is good for someone with an accident, no ncb/driving experience driving a 1l turbo in my area at my age. All mods declared 2750.

Cheapest price on comparison sites? 3600 no mods.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BDho

If you think 5k is what insurance on a fiesta costs then you're drunk right now
Original post by Speed4real
If you think 5k is what insurance on a fiesta costs then you're drunk right now

That’s just based on me trying to get an insurance on a Merc and getting a quote of 16k
Reply 9
Original post by nevershear
This thread is confusing. I'm assuming 5k was a guess at the buy price for the fiesta (even then, unlikely to be that cheap) and not the insurance. Whilst Fiestas are now practically at Corsa-level when it comes to insurance because literally everyone and their nan who wants an early, new, nippy project car as a first car is sporting a 1l turbo; I doubt it'd come close to that much. He could probably insure an ST for that much.

Again is this £1500 for the car or the insurance? Since your mate working for ford doesn't change your premium. £1500 for the car is a cracking price.

& No.... you need a year on a single policy running through for NCB.

If you're driving it more than they are, this is illegal by the way - don't do it. You don't get ncb as a named driver either btw. Anyway my car (I'm in my first year) is a mk7.5 1l eco with all mods declared but I'm nearly 25. I only recently got the mods but originally I was going to be an idiot and box it, instead I phoned insurers directly and said look this is my age, this is my history in terms of accidents whilst on a provisional etc etc, also I plan to remap and mod the car in the summer, so give me a price now and if it's better than the benchmark I set (3 grand) and you'll cover my mods later on at whatever price - I'll go with it.

2200, which is good for someone with an accident, no ncb/driving experience driving a 1l turbo in my area at my age. All mods declared 2750.

Cheapest price on comparison sites? 3600 no mods.

Yeah I'm getting the car for £1500 or £2000 bc he works in Ford and he got it cheap for his son, who now has his own car and lives elsewhere so he wanted it off his hands.

Yeah I found out about the named driver thing being illegal, so I am not going to do that. But I did get some DMs and looked at quotes on compare the market. It should cost just under £1550 with £500 voluntary excess, black box, 10k annual mileage and I put one of my mum/dad as a named driver on the insurance (tbh that was the main thing, soon as I added 1, the quote went from £2700 to £1700) which is a far cry from the £3000 it started off as
From what ive read on here, doing it at like 2am helps with lower quotes... and after you get a quote, ring them up and ask as they can come up with an even lower amount as the price comparison websites take a cut or something...
Reply 11
Original post by 1Hunnid
From what ive read on here, doing it at like 2am helps with lower quotes... and after you get a quote, ring them up and ask as they can come up with an even lower amount as the price comparison websites take a cut or something...

can you call them that late?
Reply 12
Original post by chemboi
can you call them that late?

Yeah that makes no difference about calling late, so insurance is all to do with statistics incase you weren’t aware so when looking for cheap insurance you are wanting to play the game of statistics, for example a drivers who drive 7000 miles on average a year have the least amount of crashes in this category, so out 7000 miles per year and you will find your insurance jobs anywhere between £50 and £150. Secondly you can use a compare market site but never then get insurance through them because you are now paying for a middle man, once you have found the lowest price go directly to the company to get it even lower. Don’t forget about insurance companies not on comparison sites, I can tell you right now admiral has been the best for newly passed young drivers for the past year now, you can get a great price with them. Also if you can go without a car for a month then do so and get your insurance in a months time, just quickly on your quote change it to say you’ve had your license for a month and see how the price can drop by £200, therefore it is worth waiting a month so that you can put that and get it cheaper.
Hi, i notice people are assuming insurance prices for other people without knowing where they live. When i was 20 (last year) i insured a top spec fiat 500 for £530 (no black box) for the year (and i had a bump in my first year of driving when I was 17.
I'm looking to insure a 2.0 litre BMW and insurance is coming in at £800. In contrast others are paying £5K for a corsa.

It's postcode lottery at the end of the day.

Best thing for you to do is run quotes through confused.com with you as the main driver. You should consider adding your parents as named drives to insurance. That way you can have a much better idea of how much insurance will cost you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BDho

I'm 21, quoted a 64 plate A class 1.5 for around £800 - all depends where you live.
Original post by lipstickshoes
I'm 21, quoted a 64 plate A class 1.5 for around £800 - all depends where you live.

Omg. For me it was a c250 amg and I live central London
Original post by BDho
Omg. For me it was a c250 amg and I live central London

Live in Wales. Insurance on my fiat 500 is only £530 a year with no black box. It just seems to be postcode lotto.
Original post by BDho

Do you realise your own sentence right?

1) I assume you were a first time/newly qualified young driver
2) Why on earth would you want to drive a Merc for your first car
3) It's a bloody Merc - of course the insurance is gonna be high enough you could get into heaven!

What a ridiculous thing to say to OP!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Do you realise your own sentence right?

1) I assume you were a first time/newly qualified young driver
2) Why on earth would you want to drive a Merc for your first car
3) It's a bloody Merc - of course the insurance is gonna be high enough you could get into heaven!

What a ridiculous thing to say to OP!

Don’t worry. I’ve sorted out insurance through a friend at uni whose dad is an insurance broker.
Original post by BDho
Don’t worry. I’ve sorted out insurance through a friend at uni whose dad is an insurance broker.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Still a pretty silly thing to do.

As a young/new driver, you're likely to be involved in a crash. If you were ever in a crash with a Merc... Well I don't need to finish that sentence off!

Quick Reply

Latest