The Student Room Group

How strict are Imperial on missed entry requirements?

I have an offer for physics at Imperial of A*A*A but I think I messed up physics so reckon I'll probably come out with A*AA. I know it depends on how everyone else does, but does anyone know what my chances are realistically of still getting in?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wibwob
I have an offer for physics at Imperial of A*A*A but I think I messed up physics so reckon I'll probably come out with A*AA. I know it depends on how everyone else does, but does anyone know what my chances are realistically of still getting in?
Thanks

I can't imagine a university like Imperial being too lenient...

Like you kinda said, no one can really give you a % chance of getting in.
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
I can't imagine a university like Imperial being too lenient...

Like you kinda said, no one can really give you a % chance of getting in.

Appreciate the reply, but I mean are my chances like 1 in a million or just relatively low? I've heard people have been rejected with like 1 UMS off so my odds aren't sounding good
Original post by wibwob
Appreciate the reply, but I mean are my chances like 1 in a million or just relatively low? I've heard people have been rejected with like 1 UMS off so my odds aren't sounding good

I can't comment unfortunately pal :frown:

I know it's hard, but try not to worry and do something to keep your mind off it.
At one grade off they might let you off - depends on how everyone else does.

30% chance?

If you do some digging maybe you can find some stats.
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Cow
I can't comment unfortunately pal :frown:

I know it's hard, but try not to worry and do something to keep your mind off it.

Thanks anyway, and yeah I'm fine haha just preparing for the worst
Reply 6
Original post by johnny.snow
At one grade off they might let you off - depends on how everyone else does.

30% chance?

Well that's a lot better than I was expecting tbh, thanks for the input
To tell you the truth, look at a reputable replacement for clearing,

My friends offer for Management science (maybe finance and accounting too lazy to find name)...but for your purposes a more lenient course then what your hoping to do, at Imperial was A*AA he got AAA and was informed he wasnt accepted, and he was an international student (full fees). He now attends Nottingham with me lol.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Realitysreflexx
To tell you the truth, look at a reputable replacement for clearing,

My friends offer for Management science at Imperial was A*AA he got AAA and was informed he wasnt accepted, and he was an international student (full fees). He now attends Nottingham with me lol.

Cheers, trouble is it might be hard to find a uni as reputable as imperial in clearing
Reply 9
I certainly wouldn't bank on it, but you never know.

I imagine they get a lot more one grade missed offers on courses with A*A*A requirements than A*AA.
Reply 10
Original post by mongodb
I certainly wouldn't bank on it, but you never know.

I imagine they get a lot more one grade missed offers on courses with A*A*A requirements than A*AA.

Yeah that's what I was thinking because it's easy to drop down from an A* to an A in a subject when two are required, well for me anyway haha
Original post by wibwob
Cheers, trouble is it might be hard to find a uni as reputable as imperial in clearing

I said reputable replacement...
Ie Russell group just not imperial, obv theres only one imperial, but if you havent got the grades you will need to be a bit more non elitist, and find a replacement, you dont need to drop all the way down the physics table to Uni of Nottingham obviously, but start looking at who dominates that table (complete) that isnt oxbridge and get used to the idea of having to call, and be prepared so that if you need to make that call, you will be prepared to do so...with even if you miss an extremely competitive set of marks (hopefully).
Considering it's Imperial though, it wouldn't altogether suprise me if they were happy to reject you and get an international student to take your place (££££).

Not an expert by any means though.
Reply 13
I said reputable replacement...
Ie Russell group just not imperial, obv theres only one imperial, but if you havent got the grades you will need to be a bit more non elitist, and find a replacement, you dont need to drop all the way down the physics table to Uni of Nottingham obviously, but start looking at who dominates that table (complete) that isnt oxbridge and get used to the idea of having to call, and be prepared so that if you need to make that call, you will be prepared to do so...with even if you miss an extremely competitive set of marks (hopefully).

Not being elitist, my insurance is Bath where I would be more than happy at. Just saying that the caliber of unis with the physics course I want on clearing I believe is quite a large step-down
Reply 14
Original post by mongodb
Considering it's Imperial though, it wouldn't altogether suprise me if they were happy to reject you and get an international student to take your place (££££).

Not an expert by any means though.

Yeah that's very true, fingers crossed I get the A* by some miracle hahaha
Original post by wibwob
Not being elitist, my insurance is Bath where I would be more than happy at. Just saying that the caliber of unis with the physics course I want on clearing I believe is quite a large step-down

Bath isnt that poor of a place, its undergrad anyways, you wont have a career in physics without some sort of masters or phD, so just for a general first degree to get a job with later Bath is more then sufficient.
Reply 16
Original post by wibwob
Thanks

Hi!! I'm in an extremely similar situation to you - got an A*A*A physics offer from Imperial and pretty sure I'll come out with A*AA or even worse... :frown: (and not even in the subjects they specified!) I have a feeling that our year is a pretty strong cohort but at the same time, who knows? I'm not sure if I can bear the long wait until results day, but at the same time I just don't want it to come around.

I know it's kinda sad but I'm glad I've found someone who's going through the same thing as me! I can't concentrate on my last two exams now because I'm so worried lol...
Reply 17
Original post by emma473
Hi!! I'm in an extremely similar situation to you - got an A*A*A physics offer from Imperial and pretty sure I'll come out with A*AA or even worse... :frown: (and not even in the subjects they specified!) I have a feeling that our year is a pretty strong cohort but at the same time, who knows? I'm not sure if I can bear the long wait until results day, but at the same time I just don't want it to come around.

I know it's kinda sad but I'm glad I've found someone who's going through the same thing as me! I can't concentrate on my last two exams now because I'm so worried lol...

haha yeah, its so frustrating knowing I have to wait like 2 months to find out! I'm sure you'll be fine and there's nothing we can do about it now anyway so best just try to forget about it and enjoy your summer!
Reply 18
Bath isnt that poor of a place, its undergrad anyways, you wont have a career in physics without some sort of masters or phD, so just for a general first degree to get a job with later Bath is more then sufficient.

This is complete and utter *******s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
This is complete and utter *******s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You dont need to tell me how i feel about your opinion, im well aware thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending