The Student Room Group
Original post by Josh_itfc
I’m thinking of joining the army at 16 and going to harrogate, I have a decent level of fitness but I’m worried that I need to be more fit to get into the army Foundation College

Hi there,

Fantastic that your going into the Armed Forces. You do not need to be lightning fit at the beginning however having a good level of fitness will help you through out. At Harrogate they focus more on cardio for the first half, so being able to run at a good pace over a set distance is key. Later on in training, second half, thats when you will be running for 4 or 5 miles pushing onto longer exercises however they train you for that so don't worry there. However the way you can prepare is by continually doing the fitness test at the gym with the look to cut down your time. You will need to run 1.5 miles in under 10 minutes to get in for cardio, so keep doing this and each time on the treadmill put up the pace by half a mile and hour or half a kilometre. Over time with consistency you will be able to do that run un 9 minutes or even 8 mins 40 secs.

I have gained a bursary from the Royal Navy and this is what I did for the running test and my final time was 8 mins 50, I started at 10 so it does work.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Teebowe
Hi there,

Fantastic that your going into the Armed Forces. You do not need to be lightning fit at the beginning however having a good level of fitness will help you through out. At Harrogate they focus more on cardio for the first half, so being able to run at a good pace over a set distance is key. Later on in training, second half, thats when you will be running for 4 or 5 miles pushing onto longer exercises however they train you for that so don't worry there. However the way you can prepare is by continually doing the fitness test at the gym with the look to cut down your time. You will need to run 1.5 miles in under 10 minutes to get in for cardio, so keep doing this and each time on the treadmill put up the pace by half a mile and hour or half a kilometre. Over time with consistency you will be able to do that run un 9 minutes or even 8 mins 40 secs.

I have gained a bursary from the Royal Navy and this is what I did for the running test and my final time was 8 mins 50, I started at 10 so it does work.

Good luck!

Thank you so much, very much appreciated
Original post by Josh_itfc
I’m thinking of joining the army at 16 and going to harrogate, I have a decent level of fitness but I’m worried that I need to be more fit to get into the army Foundation College

For the army it’s more important to build up your muscles with weight training. Too much aerobic cardio exercise like running etc causes too much weight loss leaving you thin and weak. Also for the Army its a good idea to take up boxing or MMA so you can handle yourself and look after yourself and to gain respect from the other lads.
Do running of course but not too much, the MMA or boxing will give you plenty of stamina training.
Avoid too much junk food, don’t smoke, and eat good stuff lots of fruit, and protein like lean meat and steaks etc.
Good luck.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ambitious1999
For the army it’s more important to build up your muscles with weight training. Too much aerobic cardio exercise like running etc causes too much weight loss leaving you thin and weak. Also for the Army its a good idea to take up boxing or MMA so you can handle yourself and look after yourself and to gain respect from the other lads.
Do running of course but not too much, the MMA or boxing will give you plenty of stamina training.
Avoid too much junk food, don’t smoke, and eat good stuff lots of fruit, and protein like lean meat and steaks etc.
Good luck.

Please stop giving duff gen.
Original post by NFI
Please stop giving duff gen.

What’s wrong with advising someone to balance their cardio execise etc with weight training and to eat healthily and not to smoke etc?
Reply 6
What’s wrong with advising someone to balance their cardio execise etc with weight training and to eat healthily and not to smoke etc?

It's your MMA BS saying it will earn you respect.
It's your poor advice saying that running will leave you thin and weak.
It's your poor advice saying that weight training is more important.

Just stop talking about things you have zero knowledge or experience of.
Original post by NFI
It's your MMA BS saying it will earn you respect.
It's your poor advice saying that running will leave you thin and weak.
It's your poor advice saying that weight training is more important.

Just stop talking about things you have zero knowledge or experience of.

I said too much running causes weight loss and low body weight makes you weak. In the army you need to be strong. I did not say don’t do any running at all but weight training is important.

MMA, boxing etc does earn you respect and helps you deal with the banter you get in the army. Joining the army is not like joining Butlins! You need to be tough.

And no I do not have zero knowledge I got A* in GCSE Physical education.
Reply 8

You've got no relevant knowledge or experience of fitness in the armed forces. One taster weekend doesn't count.

Stop posting irrelevant **** in threads that are actually supposed to be helpful. This isn't chat, this isn't debates, your normal standard of bs is no use here.
I said too much running causes weight loss and low body weight makes you weak. In the army you need to be strong. I did not say don’t do any running at all but weight training is important.

MMA, boxing etc does earn you respect and helps you deal with the banter you get in the army. Joining the army is not like joining Butlins! You need to be tough.

I wish I’d known this back when I was in. I could have told the PTIs that those six mile fartlek runs were pointless.
Reply 10
I completed 13 years in the Army, and deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan with not one single lesson in MMA, imagine that?Oh and I had loads of friends and I fitted in quite well
ok. please i`m also 15 years old but i am worried that there is a fitness test like joinig the British Army .but i am quite fit because i have been training for long time on push up, sit ups, and run.
Reply 12
Original post by Michael billy
ok. please i`m also 15 years old but i am worried that there is a fitness test like joinig the British Army .but i am quite fit because i have been training for long time on push up, sit ups, and run.

Go through this to find your role and the fitness standards for a Junior Entry:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6238694

Latest