The Student Room Group

Transgender, coming out

I recently cane out to close friends and asked them to use my preferred pronouns and name and they’ve all been really supportive of it. I’m 16 so I’ve used female ones for a while but now they use them but sometimes forget which I understand. Is it normal for it to feel weird at first when they do and awkward when asking them to?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Congrats on coming out to your friends!!

As a person who hasnt ever identified as trans but is been good friends with two trans people, I think its entirely normal to feel a bit odd about it. I felt odd referring to my friend by his new name when I'd only ever known him by his dead name, and it took me a little while to get used to the change in pronouns. I think the reason for this is it's a big change to your identity - its not a new haircut or a new pair of shoes!!! It's an entire change to who people perceive you to be so it might feel discombobulating and a bit foreign.

In time, I think you (and everyone else) will adjust and I hope all goes well for you :biggrin:
Original post by jorjeea
Congrats on coming out to your friends!!

As a person who hasnt ever identified as trans but is been good friends with two trans people, I think its entirely normal to feel a bit odd about it. I felt odd referring to my friend by his new name when I'd only ever known him by his dead name, and it took me a little while to get used to the change in pronouns. I think the reason for this is it's a big change to your identity - its not a new haircut or a new pair of shoes!!! It's an entire change to who people perceive you to be so it might feel discombobulating and a bit foreign.

In time, I think you (and everyone else) will adjust and I hope all goes well for you :biggrin:

Thank you :smile:
Yeah, one of my friends went from she pronouns to they pronouns, and changed their name to the more masculine version of their original name. The first month or so will be strange but it’s just a matter of getting used to it. In a few months, you and your (supportive) friends will be completely used to it.
Original post by Conniestitution
Yeah, one of my friends went from she pronouns to they pronouns, and changed their name to the more masculine version of their original name. The first month or so will be strange but it’s just a matter of getting used to it. In a few months, you and your (supportive) friends will be completely used to it.

Thank you, I wasn’t sure if it was just me and perhaps I misidentified as transgender. I feel I identified correctly myself and it’s good to know it’s normal.
Wow, congratulations on coming out! Its defo gonna be a bit weird (I've had a few friends come out and 2 of them had an experiment with names and pronouns until they felt comfy) but one of them told me that its almost like breaking in a new pair of shoes that really suit you and you've wanted for ages. They were confused as first as they thought they'd get used to it faster as they had what they always wanted. But it isn't that easy for like 99% of people.

There will be moments where it feels weird, but hey, you've spent 16 years with a different gender presentation in a society that is soooo stratified by gender. But the moments where it clicks and you stop noticing it are gonna be great.

Well done! :smile:
Original post by slurredsquash
Wow, congratulations on coming out! Its defo gonna be a bit weird (I've had a few friends come out and 2 of them had an experiment with names and pronouns until they felt comfy) but one of them told me that its almost like breaking in a new pair of shoes that really suit you and you've wanted for ages. They were confused as first as they thought they'd get used to it faster as they had what they always wanted. But it isn't that easy for like 99% of people.

There will be moments where it feels weird, but hey, you've spent 16 years with a different gender presentation in a society that is soooo stratified by gender. But the moments where it clicks and you stop noticing it are gonna be great.

Well done! :smile:

Thank you <3
Original post by IHaveTakenOver
Thank you, I wasn’t sure if it was just me and perhaps I misidentified as transgender. I feel I identified correctly myself and it’s good to know it’s normal.

It's bound to be odd for a while - after all haven't you spend your whole life so far under different identifiers? After a bit, you will probably find that you get used to slip in a quick correction with a sweet smile and carry on the conversation as if it had hardly happened. Hope all goes well.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by PrinceOfOrange
you have a mental illness

I really hope that that was just a bad joke.
Original post by OxFossil
It's bound to be odd for a bit - after all haven't you spend your whole life so far under different identifiers? After a bit, you will probably find that you get used to slip in a quick correction with a sweet smile and carry on the conversation as if it had hardly happened. Hope all goes well.

Thank you
I recently cane out to close friends and asked them to use my preferred pronouns and name and they’ve all been really supportive of it. I’m 16 so I’ve used female ones for a while but now they use them but sometimes forget which I understand. Is it normal for it to feel weird at first when they do and awkward when asking them to?

So you are biologically a girl but you want to be a guy?
Original post by Afforestation
So you are biologically a girl but you want to be a guy?

I was born a girl yes and I wouldn’t call it a ‘want’, it’s not something I just decided on one day, I feel I am a guy.
Reply 12
Original post by Bill Nye
I really hope that that was just a bad joke.

Transgender people actually do have a mental illness- gender dysphoria, but the way the first person just pointed out that fact was uncalled for.
I was born a girl yes and I wouldn’t call it a ‘want’, it’s not something I just decided on one day, I feel I am a guy.

So you have a biologically male brain inside a female body?
So you have a biologically male brain inside a female body?

There is no evidence it’s a biological difference, people are different. It happens.
There is no evidence it’s a biological difference, people are different. It happens.

Well guys' brains are naturally different, we have different thought processes etc, all to ensure the survival of the species and stuff like that.
Well guys' brains are naturally different, we have different thought processes etc, all to ensure the survival of the species and stuff like that.

I don’t need to know how my brain functions, I’m finally happy like this and whether it is different or not shouldn’t matter. Peoples decisions in their own lives don’t effect anyone. If you want to understand then understand people are all different the same way someone is sporty or ‘nerdy’, they were born like that and that’s okay.
I don’t need to know how my brain functions, I’m finally happy like this and whether it is different or not shouldn’t matter. Peoples decisions in their own lives don’t effect anyone. If you want to understand then understand people are all different the same way someone is sporty or ‘nerdy’, they were born like that and that’s okay.

So gender is just a personality... In which case I dont think people should ever even consider gender to be anything more than just a personality or hobby in a way. We should find a new way to characterise people that is between their body and their traits.
So gender is just a personality... In which case I dont think people should ever even consider gender to be anything more than just a personality or hobby in a way. We should find a new way to characterise people that is between their body and their traits.

I never called it a personality, I compared it the fact that you can’t change inbuilt personalities in the same way you can’t change gender. It is not a hobby.
I never called it a personality, I compared it the fact that you can’t change inbuilt personalities in the same way you can’t change gender. It is not a hobby.

Ive seen many many people change genders multiple times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending