The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Conspiracy_FACT
Ive been following the flat earth theory for around a year or two now so I can explain any questions you have, but overall I would encourage you to do a lot of your own research, there is a lot of stuff you can find out!

Think deeper can the earth not be flat and round at the same time...?
I'm just trying to help people understand the flat earth instead of just saying it's stupid with no further explanation as to why.

As for people caring if it is flat or round, think about what would it be like if the earth was flat? it would mean governments worldwide had lied to us, but why? Well if the earth is flat then something or someone must have put us here. I would mean the earth is the centre of the universe, according to the most popular flat earth beliefs. If the earth was the centre of the universe, that essentially is a proof of a God.
Original post by Anonymouspsych
Think deeper can the earth not be flat and round at the same time...?

The earth is a flat plane in a circular shape, north pole at the centre and south pole at the edge, so yes I guess it can be!

Spoiler

Reply 5
Ive been following the flat earth theory for around a year or two now so I can explain any questions you have, but overall I would encourage you to do a lot of your own research, there is a lot of stuff you can find out!
How do you account for spacetime curvature; gravity, time dilation and the like? What bearing does this have on the other fundamental forces?
Original post by Halp_me_pls_m9

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Tootles
How do you account for spacetime curvature; gravity, time dilation and the like? What bearing does this have on the other fundamental forces?

Gravity can be explained as a pseudoforce. If you were in space on an object accelerating at 9.8m/s^2 then you would feel the same effect as if you were on earth. Theory of relativity still has unanswered questions itself, but i fail to see how it could be affected by a f lat earth unless I am missing something. :smile:
OP do you actually believe this nonsense? How old are you?
Time zones are possible on a flat earth, imagine shining a torch or lamp onto a flat plane, it does not light up the whole plane, but a centralised spotlight of brightness. With reference to shadow clocks, the same effect could be explained if the sun was only a few thousand metres abouve the earth.

There is no real picture of the earth from space. NASA has gone on record saying that "it's photoshop but it has to be" they use what is called composite imaging to layer the earth together, but why is there nto one real full photo of the earth? I am not anti vaxxer like you claim, but I am against harmful vaccines. Why have autism and cancer levels increased rapidly in recent years?
Original post by Duncan2012
OP do you actually believe this nonsense? How old are you?

I am 17, been following flat earth since 15, and conspiracies in general for longer. I do a lot of my own research to try and understand these things myself.
do you believe in space
Gravity can be explained as a pseudoforce. If you were in space on an object accelerating at 9.8m/s^2 then you would feel the same effect as if you were on earth. Theory of relativity still has unanswered questions itself, but i fail to see how it could be affected by a f lat earth unless I am missing something. :smile:
Accelerating at that rate indicates that reaching c is inevitable to maintain the same gravitational effect indefinitely. Where is the energy coming from to facilitate such acceleration? To continue accelerating at that speed, you're going to need energy, and that energy would (a) be detectable if it was exerting a measurable force on an object the size of Earth, and (b) have to come from somewhere: with acceleration comes an asymptotic requirement for energy, and energy has to come from somewhere. In order to provide the energies required to have maintained that rate of acceleration until this point in time, you'd need to have found an infinite source of energy.

And then, if you cast aside such petty notions of energy requirements, you've got the inconvenience of being unable to accelerate to or past the speed of light. And again, if you could, you'd be at the speed of light a year after setting off, at which point your mass would become infinite and you'd collapse in on yourself and become a kind of tachyonic black hole.

There. I've just broken most of the rules of physics for you, and you still can't have an effective replacement for gravity. Sucks to be Discworld.

Relativity does not have unanswered questions, in or of itself. It is simply not fully reconciled to quantum mechanics yet.
Time zones are possible on a flat earth, imagine shining a torch or lamp onto a flat plane, it does not light up the whole plane, but a centralised spotlight of brightness. With reference to shadow clocks, the same effect could be explained if the sun was only a few thousand metres abouve the earth

I agree a light will only illuminate a certain limited area depending upon its brightness. That being said...If you stand on a hill at night and look down upon a town, you can see all of the street lights, car headlights, house lights etc. yet you would remain in the dark.

If the sun, a few thousand metres above the Earth, can shine so brightly on one side of the flat earth, why can’t the other side, in the dark, see the sun?

The line of sight would be perfectly clear on a flat earth to this close proximity sun, but we see nothing?

I think you should trust more in what you SEE than what you READ.
So your brain is flat as well??? there seems to be a trend where flat earth believers are in denial about their flat brain and mostly airheaded :biggrin:
I am 17, been following flat earth since 15, and conspiracies in general for longer. I do a lot of my own research to try and understand these things myself.

Unfortunately you don’t sound like a troll. In which case, your own ‘research’ has been totally misguided and left you utterly deluded. I feel sorry that you’ve wasted two years of your life believing this pish. Please stop wasting your energy on this - science (backed by observation) has got this one covered.
I was talking about this to a friend a couple days ago actually! How does the flat earth “orbit” as a plane? And also how can you fly to the other “side”? (Is the world a reflection on both sides or what?)
Original post by Marcus_:D
I was talking about this to a friend a couple days ago actually! How does the flat earth “orbit” as a plane? And also how can you fly to the other “side”? (Is the world a reflection on both sides or what?)

Seeing as the OP has gone to bed...
The theory states the flat earth is fixed and does not move. The sun and moon orbit around the top of a stationary mass. So your point about orbit is clearly redundant. (lol)

Imagine the earth as a coin. North Pole in the middle and a giant ice wall around the outside edge (Antarctica). Yes, they believe there is a giant ice wall around the edge of the planet keeping the oceans from spilling over the edge.

The remaining continents fill the space between as we commonly display on world maps, bent around the coin face.
What that fails to answer, which you rightly point out, is how we can fly on a constant bearing i.e east, and end up in the same place we started without hitting the giant ice wall. 😱
I just think round things are cool. A weird “thickness” of the flat earth seems redundant to me... If the earth js flat why can’t the sun be flat? The moon too?

If some weird forces occurred, then could the earth become say... a cylinder? A scrunched up ball? My mind is lost 😑
Reply 19
This nonsense does not belong in a 'philosophy' section.

Latest

Trending

Trending