The Student Room Group

What’s the next step after finishing uni?!!!

I don’t want to go straight into a 9-5, 40 hours + job related to my course, because I don’t feel confident about what I enjoy doing in addition to not feeling like I’m good at anything. I also don’t want to be at home doing nothing and I don’t know what to do tbh. At the moment I have no job so the path I was thinking of was applying to both retail and graduate jobs (part time and full time). Even if I get a part time retail job I will still apply to grad jobs, it’s so that I’m not sitting around doing nothing. I don’t know if this is the best idea or just focus on applying to grad jobs.

Any advice?
What did you do if you’ve graduated already? or
What are you going to do if you’re graduating in the following months?

Thanks in advance!!
Idk I'm taking a gap year so id say take a gap year after uni to see what options are available.

If u don't wanna take a gap year then get a part time job whilst applying for grade job. If u get ur grad job then terminate it part time contract and that's it
Reply 2
Original post by TheYearNiner
Idk I'm taking a gap year so id say take a gap year after uni to see what options are available.

If u don't wanna take a gap year then get a part time job whilst applying for grade job. If u get ur grad job then terminate it part time contract and that's it

Hmm those seem like the two options I’m most likely to go down.
Please tell us you haven't only just started considering career options now you’ve graduated?
Original post by Duncan2012
Please tell us you haven't only just started considering career options now you’ve graduated?

You honestly think the majority of students know what they want to do, there 18-19 you know.
Reply 5
Original post by Duncan2012

Yes and no, I changed my mind towards the end of my course because I don’t think the area is for me which is why I’m confused.
Original post by random_matt
You honestly think the majority of students know what they want to do, there 18-19 you know.

Graduates are normally 21+ and will have been bombarded by careers fairs, graduate recruitment campaigns and advice from uni careers services. Plenty of info there to make decisions.

Original post by Anonymous
Yes and no, I changed my mind towards the end of my course because I don’t think the area is for me which is why I’m confused.

Fair enough - you didn’t mention that in the OP. You’ll probably still be able to acces your unis careers service for a year or two. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending