The Student Room Group

Do most Muslims consider engineers as professionals or not?

I would appreciate answers from Muslims or engineers for this question.

When it comes to marriage one of the most common questions is that of a potential spouse's career. Do most Muslims consider engineers with engineering degrees as professionals or do they perceive them on a similar level as plumbers and car mechanics (with no degrees) - respectable midrange careers but not professionals?

I don't think that there are many Muslim engineers in Britain and engineering is not a familiar career to Muslims in the way that medicine, law, pharmacy, or even nursing and teaching are.

Therefore would a Muslim engineer potentially have more difficulty finding a spouse than if they had a more familiar, but not necessarily better paying, career?
Engineering is reputable
Around third of the people on my engineering course are Muslims so not sure what you mean by there not being many.
I’m not trying to decrease competition in the engineering field or anything but I hear Muslims don’t like engineers :colone:
Muslims can marry anyone, lets not mistake culture and religion sas the same thing.
Reply 5
Original post by Vikingninja
Around third of the people on my engineering course are Muslims so not sure what you mean by there not being many.

What about somebody past the age of 30? Students around the age of 20 are one thing but mature adults are another. Also take into account that not all engineering graduates become engineers by profession. Many end up in financial services so they would state this as their career rather than engineering.

Original post by orderofthelotus
I’m not trying to decrease competition in the engineering field or anything but I hear Muslims don’t like engineers :colone:

I'm not confident that don't like is an accurate term as I'm more inclined to think that Muslims overwhelmingly misunderstand or undervalue engineers rather than genuinely dislike them.

Something I have found is that Muslim men have difficulty finding a wife after the age of 30 if they are not a professional but doctors are still in demand well into their 40s. This applies to Muslims over 30 who have respectable mid range careers just as much as those with poor qualifications in unskilled low paid jobs. Property developers seem to be an exceptional case.
Reply 6
Original post by Arran90
I would appreciate answers from Muslims or engineers for this question.

When it comes to marriage one of the most common questions is that of a potential spouse's career. Do most Muslims consider engineers with engineering degrees as professionals or do they perceive them on a similar level as plumbers and car mechanics (with no degrees) - respectable midrange careers but not professionals?

I don't think that there are many Muslim engineers in Britain and engineering is not a familiar career to Muslims in the way that medicine, law, pharmacy, or even nursing and teaching are.

Therefore would a Muslim engineer potentially have more difficulty finding a spouse than if they had a more familiar, but not necessarily better paying, career?

Why don't you just ask on the I-soc?
Well I don't know about the rest but bro if you're Bengali and are an engineer, females fresh from the 'desh will be lining up to marry you bro.

Essentially it's extremely reputable, get's all the aunties wet and uncles gassed

Spoiler

If you mean south asian there is a famous phrase “doctor,lawyer or engineer”. Any thing else isn’t on the same level.
depends what kind, are you on a starting salary of over 25k, do you expect to own a mercedes e class by the age of 30 ? if not then no its reputable
IMO,

This isn't really a muslim thing, its a UK-wide thing. Engineering does not carry status in the UK unlike Germany and the USA. This is because maintenance/repair people call themselves engineers just like the guys at intel who are designing processor chips. When you tell someone you're an engineer they assume you're the former.
Original post by ayyy2
Engineering does not carry status in the UK unlike Germany and the USA.
Agreed. One of my lecturers (Engineering Science at Oxford) postulated that if the European tendancy to appoint Engineers to high political office was ever combined with the UK's of having PMs from Oxbridge, they could be talking to a future PM.

I assume that Chemists have the same issue with assumptions about their job. Thatcher did have a degree in Chemistry (Oxford), which isn't too far off.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Arran90
When it comes to marriage one of the most common questions is that of a potential spouse's career.
Do you think that it's a good thing to base a marriage, or even a degree, on?
I meannnn... as a Muslim girl who has applied to study engineering and who's dad is an engineer, I've personally always seen engineering as a sought-after degree/career to have in our culture.

My family are really open though tbh and ngl, if they weren't, I would probs have already applied to a med school and be on the road to study medicine.

Truth is though, just do what you love and live your life. At this moment in time, I'm more driven towards having a successful career and travelling the world (on my own). Marriage doesn't seem to play a part in my ambitions.

Also, I actually do think that engineering is a pretty well repected and well-paid career IMO. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending