The Student Room Group

Iran v Spain

Although nervy, chaotic and not performing like their usual selves against Morocco, Iran still stole a win. Combined with their 2014 performance against Argentina (seconds away from a draw and should've got a penalty too) and Spain's self-sabotage days before the tournament, confidence is even higher at dealing with Spain. But more maturity and calmness will be needed to do it.

Superstar striker Azmoun has a chance to finally prove his potential, by scoring an historic goal in his home ground of Kazan.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here's hoping for a crap 0-0, but would be nice for the Iran attack to get a proper goal this time given how they're tearing up Europe. Rather a point than a goal and a loss though.
Come on Spain!
That's a great image!

Bit of a must-not-lose for both teams, although I'm sure Spain will really want the win.

We haven't had a single 0-0 draw so far, and Spain looked pretty credible attacking against Portugal but obviously had a few vulnerabilities defensively. I think Spain will edge it 2-1, but I'd be happy with another upset from Iran!
Am certain Spain will win this one or at least a draw, Iran won’t win though for sure!
Reply 5
Taremi starts, so he's going to be supporting Azmoun by sneaking into a striker position from the left (sometimes even more advanced than striker Azmoun). He made a great Maradona '86 run to assist Azmoun against Russia a while back, do that again and this will be the best World Cup ever even if Spain scored 3.

Ezatolahi, their 'Carrick' or 'Pirlo' is back from suspension, so expect nicer-looking football through the middle now.

Centre-back Cheshmi, who did so well against Morocco, is replaced with Hosseini who replaced him against Morocco as well as Iran tightened things up later in the game.

Superstar right-winger Jahanbakhsh must not be 100% after suffering cramp, or he's just going to be used for the late attacks as Spain hopefully increase pressure in a 0-0.

Ansarifad keeps his place, he hasn't stopped scoring for Iran in friendlies and for his club this season. Ghoddos on the bench again, but he won the free kick that got the goal, and will make an impact as he's done for Ostersunds in nearly every Europa League game this season.

Original post by Pure Water
Am certain Spain will win this one or at least a draw, Iran won’t win though for sure!

Not exactly making a bold prediction there. :biggrin:

Original post by SarcAndSpark
That's a great image!

Bit of a must-not-lose for both teams, although I'm sure Spain will really want the win.

We haven't had a single 0-0 draw so far, and Spain looked pretty credible attacking against Portugal but obviously had a few vulnerabilities defensively. I think Spain will edge it 2-1, but I'd be happy with another upset from Iran!

I'd take either of those.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ozzyoscy
Taremi starts, so he's going to be supporting Azmoun by sneaking into a striker position from the left (sometimes even more advanced than striker Azmoun). He made a great Maradona '86 run to assist Azmoun against Russia a while back, do that again and this will be the best World Cup ever even if Spain scored 3.

Ezatolahi, their 'Carrick' or 'Pirlo' is back from suspension, so expect nicer-looking football through the middle now.

Centre-back Cheshmi, who did so well against Morocco, is replaced with Hosseini who replaced him against Morocco as well as Iran tightened things up later in the game.

Not exactly making a bold prediction there. :biggrin:

I'd take either of those.

LOL
Alright I’ll go for Spain will win yo!
Illegal for women to watch men's football in Iran :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Wilfred Little

That's what happens when an unelected bunch of old farts are in real charge.

Previous President Ahmadinejad overturned it, only for the Ayatollah above him to stop it. We'll have to wait for if/when there's another revolution.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Getting flashbacks to 2010 with this vuvuzela buzz. Got a good feeling about Iran tonight.
Reply 10
Oops I thought it was Iran in the home white kit, wondering why Spain were sitting back.

The noise is annoying, but I don't care if it works. Talk about a 12th man.
Original post by Wilfred Little

Seriously?!?!? LMAO
Original post by scriggy
Getting flashbacks to 2010 with this vuvuzela buzz. Got a good feeling about Iran tonight.

Do you know where I can watch it live on bbc iplayer?I was able to watch other matches live but can’t seem to find Spain vs Iran!
Iran being very defensive so far but it worked for Iceland so it's a fair strategy. I was impressed with Morocco earlier but Iran seem more organised.
Oops I thought it was Iran in the home white kit, wondering why Spain were sitting back.

The noise is annoying, but I don't care if it works. Talk about a 12th man.

Yooo where can I watch on iplayer?? Can’t seem to find the match?!
Reply 15
Yooo where can I watch on iplayer?? Can’t seem to find the match?!

That's 'cause it's on ITV, not BBC.
That's 'cause it's on ITV, not BBC.

GAH do I need a television for that?!?!? I do not have a TV!!!
GAH do I need a television for that?!?!? I do not have a TV!!!

Itv have an online player, no idea if you can watch stuff live on it though!

Iran need to do more when they have a chance to attack.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Itv have an online player, no idea if you can watch stuff live on it though!

Iran need to do more when they have a chance to attack.

Watching live now cheers! Dumb question but I can’t tell what team is which?!? I’m guessing red is Iran?
Watching live now cheers! Dumb question but I can’t tell what team is which?!? I’m guessing red is Iran?

Red is Iran, white and orange is Spain. Alternatively defence is Iran and attack is Spain ;p

Quick Reply

Latest