The Student Room Group

A-LEVEL history coursework

so i'm just starting to write my history coursework but i have no idea how to structure it !!!! coursework is on civil rights in america 1863-1965, any help would me much appreciated. i've done my intro just need tips and advice to get a really good grade!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PrincessKeira
so i'm just starting to write my history coursework but i have no idea how to structure it !!!! coursework is on civil rights in america 1863-1965, any help would me much appreciated. i've done my intro just need tips and advice to get a really good grade!!!!

What exam board?
AQA

How much research have you done?

How good is your essay plan?

You can't start writing your introduction till you know what is in the essay.
AQA

I did AQA and this is how I got an A*, hope it helps!

Introduction : highlight your argument clearly, but also show other interpretations you'll refer to in the essay

At the start of your essay you would compare two differing views of historians in relation to the essay question. Referring to their education, research, views, and how valuable their view is. Reach a judgement at the end as to who is the most valuable

The second part of the essay is in relation to sources from the time period (in your case 1863-1965) to support your view, ie one could be on MLK's I have a dream speech. The first part of the essay should have no context/content, strictly analysis on historians. The second part should be evaluating and analysing your essay question and should be centred around your sources you find.

Hard to explain how to write it when not being an expert on the civil rights movement. What is your essay question?

Also looking at the mark scheme for the coursework will give you greater insight into what you need to include
Original post by 999tigger
How much research have you done?

How good is your essay plan?

You can't start writing your introduction till you know what is in the essay.

Ive got lots of research and notes from my lessons and been doing additional research to find out more, i have a good essay plan with much content i just am unsure on structure to paragraphs and the entire piece. i really want to get a high grade so am trying to do as much as i can to ensure that.
Original post by BlairPeach

Introduction : highlight your argument clearly, but also show other interpretations you'll refer to in the essay

At the start of your essay you would compare two differing views of historians in relation to the essay question. Referring to their education, research, views, and how valuable their view is. Reach a judgement at the end as to who is the most valuable

The second part of the essay is in relation to sources from the time period (in your case 1863-1965) to support your view, ie one could be on MLK's I have a dream speech. The first part of the essay should have no context/content, strictly analysis on historians. The second part should be evaluating and analysing your essay question and should be centred around your sources you find.

Hard to explain how to write it when not being an expert on the civil rights movement. What is your essay question?

Also looking at the mark scheme for the coursework will give you greater insight into what you need to include

omgggggg thank you so much this has been an eye opener!!!! my question is " how important is black activism in the advancement of black civil rights between 1863-1965?"

how would you suggest writing paragraphs like the structure of them individually???
omgggggg thank you so much this has been an eye opener!!!! my question is " how important is black activism in the advancement of black civil rights between 1863-1965?"

how would you suggest writing paragraphs like the structure of them individually???

For my coursework it was about Bismarcks role in the unification of Germany. So my two historians I looked at had a view of: it was the economy that had the greater impact, and that it was Bismarck through his pragmatism etc

Then I discussed the content which was centred around the sources

I still have my first draft I believe, would you like me to send it to you?
For my coursework it was about Bismarcks role in the unification of Germany. So my two historians I looked at had a view of: it was the economy that had the greater impact, and that it was Bismarck through his pragmatism etc

Thanks ive found lots of examples online of drafts and examples but thanks anyways
No problem!! Good luck
Ive got lots of research and notes from my lessons and been doing additional research to find out more, i have a good essay plan with much content i just am unsure on structure to paragraphs and the entire piece. i really want to get a high grade so am trying to do as much as i can to ensure that.

Why not break it down into 5 units? is it 3000 words?
200 word intro 6x400 words main and 1x 400 word evaluation?

use a mind map and draw the essay plan until it makes sense.

is this how to get an A* or just what you did and you happened to get an A*?

i’m also doing AQA history and currently quite lost on the coursework! do the historians views not have to be linked to the sources at all?
Original post by 999tigger
Why not break it down into 5 units? is it 3000 words?
200 word intro 6x400 words main and 1x 400 word evaluation?

use a mind map and draw the essay plan until it makes sense.

ive done mind maps for my sections which has helped a lot. its between 2500-3000 words so i think ill use that structure idea then.thank you
Original post by bubblecat
is this how to get an A* or just what you did and you happened to get an A*?

i’m also doing AQA history and currently quite lost on the coursework! do the historians views not have to be linked to the sources at all?

This is what my teacher told us to do. The coursework is basically split into two sections: primary sources and secondary sources. You can make slight links to the content but the focus should be on the value of the historians view, EG why it's limited/not limited, and to mention the background of the history (education, events that may have influenced their view)

After that you start to mention the content you've been taught/researched
Reply 14
Have you still got your first draft? I am struggling to find an appropriate way of writing/structuring my coursework. My question is not on Germany so I wont plagiarise, I purely would like to see how you structured your first draft.
Reply 15
Here's how I did mine, not sure whether it'll be helpful. Bear in mind that I agree more with my second interpretation: Introduction, Introduce first interpretation (1), Introduce second interpretation (2), Analyse (2), Analyse (1), Introduce content surrounding first source *1* which supports interpretation (1) - you don't actually need to link these together but just flows better - Analysis of *1*, Introduce content surrounding second source *2* which kind of supports (2), Analysis of *2*, Introduce content surrounding third source *3* which also supports (2), Analysis of *3*, Conclusion
(edited 4 years ago)

Hello!!!

Hello! How are you? :smile:
WOuld you mind if you can send me your draft of your coursework as I am struggling and trying to find resources and have not that much help from my teacher, particularly due to the coronavirus.
PS: Thankyou soo much for the advice, it was very useful and has impacted my work a lot! :smile: :smile:
Thankyou

Hi! Congrats on your grade that’s amazing :smile: Can you please let me know whether you have to compare just two historians throughout the WHOLE coursework and when I should start researching and writing it? I’m in year 12 and my teacher has asked us to look into the Tudors for it, but I have no idea where to begin (I’m thinking of doing religion as a topic??) or when the due date is for the final thing.
Original post by amneu
Here's how I did mine, not sure whether it'll be helpful. Bear in mind that I agree more with my second interpretation: Introduction, Introduce first interpretation (1), Introduce second interpretation (2), Analyse (2), Analyse (1), Introduce content surrounding first source *1* which supports interpretation (1) - you don't actually need to link these together but just flows better - Analysis of *1*, Introduce content surrounding second source *2* which kind of supports (2), Analysis of *2*, Introduce content surrounding third source *3* which also supports (2), Analysis of *3*, Conclusion

Hey I’m kinda struggling to come up with my question fully Nd it’s due in tomorrow. I wanted to do. To what extent was slavery the most important issue in bringing about the American civil war. But I don’t know how to stretch it into the 100 year period. Helpppp.
Original post by Gone55771
Hey I’m kinda struggling to come up with my question fully Nd it’s due in tomorrow. I wanted to do. To what extent was slavery the most important issue in bringing about the American civil war. But I don’t know how to stretch it into the 100 year period. Helpppp.

Hi! How about “The position of African-Americans was positive from 1860-1960” or whatever time period you’re doing, or something about African-Americans in general e.g. “To what extent did discrimination continue to affect the lives of African-Americans from ___” because then you can mention slavery, but explore other avenues such as the Jim Crow laws, the Jazz Age when some became employed, the Great Migration, the “Black capitalist” movement, etc :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending