The Student Room Group

Messi or Ronaldo?

The debate has intensified following Ronaldo equalling the European record for international goals. Who's better? Messi or Ronaldo? Or do you think someone from past generations were better?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlairPeach
The debate has intensified following Ronaldo equalling the European record for international goals. Who's better? Messi or Ronaldo? Or do you think someone from past generations were better?

Refer to the currently world cup: Ronaldo! four goals are better than no goals. In the past - at the world cup - Zidane. The other world class players in other decades are dificult to judge.
Reply 2
Original post by Kallisto
Refer to the currently world cup: Ronaldo! four goals are better than no goals. In the past - at the world cup - Zidane. The other world class players in other decades are dificult to judge.

Who is the better play overall though?
Messi is the better player overall.

He is a world class midfielder, winger and striker rolled into one.

The past two or three years shows how fickle a lot of football fans are, how short their memories are and how they've been spoilt by Messi. Messi, the guy who scored 73 goals in a season, double the assists of Ronaldo, shoots with greater accuracy outside the box than most top strikers inside it, didn't get tackled for about 8 years and dribbles like a God dancing on water with the ball glued to his feet, usually followed by a chip over the keeper. He is the most gifted footballer ever to live, on another level to everyone else in the history of the game and its embarrassing how people act like his career never happened because Real Madrid have been the best team in Europe for three years and Portugal scabbed the Euros.
Reply 4
Original post by Wilfred Little
Messi is the better player overall.

The past two or three years shows how fickle a lot of football fans are, how short their memories are and how they've been spoilt by Messi. Messi, the guy who scored 73 goals in a season, double the assists of Ronaldo, shoots with greater accuracy outside the box than most top strikers inside it, didn't get tackled for about 8 years and dribbles like a God dancing on water with the ball glued to his feet, usually followed by a chip over the keeper. He is the most gifted footballer ever to live, on another level to everyone else in the history of the game and its embarrassing how people act like his career never happened because Real Madrid have been the best team in Europe for three years and Portugal scabbed the Euros.

Agreed. No one will ever be as good as Messi.

The best thing I see about Ronaldo fans is that they claim he's the better goalscorer. Yet Messi has a better goal:game ratio, despite playing a lot deeper and not as the main striker.
Agreed. No one will ever be as good as Messi.

The best thing I see about Ronaldo fans is that they claim he's the better goalscorer. Yet Messi has a better goal:game ratio, despite playing a lot deeper and not as the main striker.

They must mean that his shots to goals ratio is better.

Except it isn't :undefined:teehee
I think they're both equally world-class at not paying their taxes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40534761

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44499138
Reply 7
Original post by FThisSI'mOut
I think they're both equally world-class at not paying their taxes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40534761

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44499138

The only thing Ronaldo is better than Messi at. Avoiding tax.
Reply 8
Ronnie no doubt. Proven it in last six months too as said.
Reply 9
Original post by SMEGGGY
Ronnie no doubt. Proven it in last six months too as said.

In what way?
Who is the better play overall though?

Tend to Messi. In my view he was always the better teamplayer, maybe I am wrong.
Tend to Messi. In my view he was always the better teamplayer, maybe I am wrong.

I agree, far more selfless than Ronaldo and contributes far more to the build up
I agree, far more selfless than Ronaldo and contributes far more to the build up

So I have a good perception for teamplay. Furthermore Messi is not so extrovert than Ronaldo. I have always the impression that Ronaldo is playing for show sometimes while Messi never wasted a thought on it.
(edited 5 years ago)
I have always the impression that Ronaldo is playing for show sometimes

He is lol. Look at his free kick stance, look at the pointless stepovers that never beat anyone.
Ronaldo, done it in the prem, la liga and international. There is no argument here, Messi is nothing outside of Barcelona.
Original post by random_matt
Ronaldo, done it in the prem, la liga and international. There is no argument here, Messi is nothing outside of Barcelona.

Silly argument. Just because Messi hasn't left Barca means he's worse than Ronaldo. I'm sure if he can do it in the CL against the best English teams he can do it against Bournemouth
Silly argument. Just because Messi hasn't left Barca means he's worse than Ronaldo. I'm sure if he can do it in the CL against the best English teams he can do it against Bournemouth

LOL, no it isn't, it's delusional to think otherwise. The fact is he hasn't, but you convince yourself otherwise, that's funny ****. He also got knocked out by Roma, who evidently got knocked out by Liverpool.
(edited 5 years ago)
Messi all the way.

Messi was and always the better player. He is natural talent. Ronaldo might be the better goalscorer but again the amount of goals each one scored are pretty much similar and about the World Cup, people tend to forget that Messi led Argentina to the final of the last world cup and with out him, Argentina wouldn't be in the world cups this year.
You only have to look at the all-time stats to see that Messi is the superior player. I personally prefer watching him as well. He has the better personality, and the way he can play despite his little physique is mesmerizing at times.
ronaldo.

Quick Reply

Latest