The Student Room Group

2018 CSAT Preparation

Haven't seen a thread up yet, I'll remove this post if anyone links a previous one.

Applying for Computer Science 2019 entry, trying to get ready for the CSAT sooner than later (and STEP as well). What resources are out there? I've been using this thread but they haven't got solutions for sample paper 3 yet.

Anyone found anything useful for it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by varx
Haven't seen a thread up yet, I'll remove this post if anyone links a previous one.

Applying for Computer Science 2019 entry, trying to get ready for the CSAT sooner than later (and STEP as well). What resources are out there? I've been using this thread but they haven't got solutions for sample paper 3 yet.

Hi there :smile:

If you look at the last pages of the thread you linked, I've posted some solutions for sample paper 3 already. I also have some solutions for that paper that I haven't typed up yet, so if you want to discuss anything in particular, go ahead.

For STEP (and also CSAT) I've also found the STEP foundation modules quite useful in the beginning to get started, and I've also heard some people found MAT questions as well as some maths competition questions useful to prepare for the CSAT.
When does one give the CSAT exam, is it before Step or after?
Original post by gcsediva
When does one give the CSAT exam, is it before Step or after?

You sit the CSAT in Cambridge at the same time as your interviews (if you get an interview). STEP is an exam that you have to do as part of an offer condition in the summer, but you don't actually need it for most CompSci options, only for CompSci with Maths.
Original post by CompSciCat
You sit the CSAT in Cambridge at the same time as your interviews (if you get an interview). STEP is an exam that you have to do as part of an offer condition in the summer, but you don't actually need it for most CompSci options, only for CompSci with Maths.

Thank you for the reply.
Original post by varx

Make sure you leave the practice papers until a few weeks before interview! I found past MAT papers (not the mc) pretty useful and definitely the STEP preparation program on the Cambridge website :smile:

Also make sure you’re familiar with basic searching/sorting algorithms and a few of the algorithms from D1/D2 (graph/tree traversal) and their big-O as it might come in handy :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ImprobableCacti
Make sure you leave the practice papers until a few weeks before interview! I found past MAT papers (not the mc) pretty useful and definitely the STEP preparation program on the Cambridge website :smile:

Also make sure you’re familiar with basic searching/sorting algorithms and a few of the algorithms from D1/D2 (graph/tree traversal) and their big-O as it might come in handy :smile:

Which section of the MAT should I do? Just the computer science stuff or everything?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by varx
Which section of the MAT should I do? Just the computer science stuff or everything,m

Everything that has maths or computer science above :smile:
Reply 8
As someone who has never been to any Maths Olympiads or Contests, I find the CSAT questions so impossible! Where should I start from? Should I just give up?
Original post by solark
As someone who has never been to any Maths Olympiads or Contests, I find the CSAT questions so impossible! Where should I start from? Should I just give up?

I mean giving up wouldn't be the wisest option if you wanna have a shot :wink:

If you find the CSAT questions impossible, maybe start with some easier maths competition questions (I'm not entirely familiar with the UK system, but I think something like the Kangaroo should be a good start) or something like the STEP foundation modules. A year ago I also found most of the CSAT questions impossible, I just started with the ones that I thought I might be able to solve and went on from there. Generally though, as long as you keep going with maths stuff regularly you will improve, and it should be quite fun.
Reply 10
I mean giving up wouldn't be the wisest option if you wanna have a shot :wink:

If you find the CSAT questions impossible, maybe start with some easier maths competition questions (I'm not entirely familiar with the UK system, but I think something like the Kangaroo should be a good start) or something like the STEP foundation modules. A year ago I also found most of the CSAT questions impossible, I just started with the ones that I thought I might be able to solve and went on from there. Generally though, as long as you keep going with maths stuff regularly you will improve, and it should be quite fun.

Thanks a lot! As your username suggests, have you applied for Comp Sci last year or are you applying for 2019 entry?
Original post by solark
Thanks a lot! As your username suggests, have you applied for Comp Sci last year or are you applying for 2019 entry?

I applied last year and got rejected after interview, but I am applying again this year.
Reply 12
I applied last year and got rejected after interview, but I am applying again this year.

Oh best of luck! :smile: Hope it's not too late to start preparing for the CSAT in a couple of weeks.... Have you decided on a college?
Original post by solark
Oh best of luck! :smile: Hope it's not too late to start preparing for the CSAT in a couple of weeks.... Have you decided on a college?

You are earlier than most candidates.
Original post by solark

Good luck to you as well :smile:

While of course it's better to start earlier than later, its definitely not late, most applicants probably won't start that early, and also technically you're not meant to extensively prepare for it.

Pretty much decided on Queens', what about you?
For anyone looking to prepare, we've been cooking this: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/csat/practice/ - feel free to spread the word! Keep an eye on it during the upcoming weeks for more content.

p.s. Also make sure to read the main CSAT webpage, and the FAQ on other material: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/csat/#faq-prepare
Original post by bogdan.roman
For anyone looking to prepare, we've been cooking this: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/csat/practice/ - feel free to spread the word! Keep an eye on it during the upcoming weeks for more content.

p.s. Also make sure to read the main CSAT webpage, and the FAQ on other material: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/csat/#faq-prepare

I just visited the website. Really appreciate the help.
I had a small question.
Is this website going to be providing solutions to the CSAT sample papers or will the website also provide more problems that are similar to the style of CSAT?
Original post by Rohan77642
I just visited the website. Really appreciate the help.

Glad to hear it.

Is this website going to be providing solutions to the CSAT sample papers or will the website also provide more problems that are similar to the style of CSAT?

Both! :smile: Also, solutions are not primary aspect: see the "How to practise" section on the webpage (e.g. the hints and the way they are structured is key).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bogdan.roman
Glad to hear it.

Both! :smile:

Thank you for the response. The webpage looks extremely helpful for becoming better at problem solving.
This is coming from a person who is neither going to be sitting the CSAT nor going to be applying to Cambridge :biggrin:.
The webpage looks extremely helpful for becoming better at problem solving.

Glad to hear it x2 ... we think so too :smile:

The platform is indeed helpful and suitable to a lot of folks beyond the CSAT, simply owing to the nature of the CSAT questions.

This is coming from a person who is neither going to be sitting the CSAT nor going to be applying to Cambridge :biggrin:.

Best of luck with whatever you are choosing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending