The Student Room Group

What do you think about being privately educated? Do you have a problem with it?

I have seen many threads on TSR ****ging off both private schools and the people that go there. Why is this? What are your thought's, do you have a problem with privately educated people?

I've attended a private school and would be interested in hearing peoples' views

Scroll to see replies

I also attend one #twinning
I don’t see a problem with being in a private school because if you are able to then why not? Some parents who send their kids to public school instead spend lots of money on expensive cars and then there are people who send their kids to private schools that don’t spend their money on expensive cars because they save that money to spend on the private school. It’s that parent’s decision at the end of the day, and there’s nothing wrong with trying to invest in your child’s future.
All in all public school and private school kids are not even that different so I don’t think it’s a big deal.
(edited 5 years ago)
Private schools are "in general consensus" better than state schools.
Yes, you get what you pay for but the question is... is it right to make education unequal?
A "dumb" person in a private school could end up with 10 A*s at GCSE because they've got loads of support from their school/tuitions whereas a "smart" person in a state school might end up with 4A* 4A 2B at GCSE. If we just look at the grades then we would think the "smart" person is the one from the private school and the "dumb" person is the one from the state school. That's wrong though, isn't it?
Original post by susu66s
I don’t see a problem with being in a private school because if you are able to then why not? Some parents who send their kids to public school instead spend lots of money on expensive cars and then there are people who send their kids to private schools that don’t spend their money on expensive cars because they save that money to spend on the private school. It’s that parent’s decision at the end of the day, and there’s nothing wrong with trying to invest in your child’s future.
All in all public school and private school kids are not even that different so I don’t think it’s a big deal.

Your view is naive and too simplistic sadly.
Not everyone has the same "level of wealth" to play with, so your whole argument might as well be disregarded. It applies to some parents as you said, but, all in all, there are a lot of parents that just can't afford private school fees. It might not be their fault - just their income is too low and it's too late to realistically raise it high enough. E.g. a single mum or parents on minimum wage employment...
"All in all public school and private school kids are not even that different"- really...?
Reply 4
Original post by susu66s

I think you mean a state school or a comprehensive school, not a public school. Public schools are also independent schools, like private schools, but even more expensive and prestigious.
Original post by pereira325
Your view is naive and too simplistic sadly.
Not everyone has the same "level of wealth" to play with, so your whole argument might as well be disregarded. It applies to some parents as you said, but, all in all, there are a lot of parents that just can't afford private school fees. It might not be their fault - just their income is too low and it's too late to realistically raise it high enough. E.g. a single mum or parents on minimum wage employment...
"All in all public school and private school kids are not even that different"- really...?

Most private schools if not all, have financial aid that you can apply for and they almost always help if you are not able to pay.
Original post by Jpw1097
I think you mean a state school or a comprehensive school, not a public school. Public schools are also independent schools, like private schools, but even more expensive and prestigious.

Yes, my bad, I’m talking about state schools.
Reply 7
Original post by susu66s
Yes, my bad, I’m talking about state schools.

Of course, I knew what you meant, just being pedantic.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
I have seen many threads on TSR ****ging off both private schools and the people that go there. Why is this? What are your thought's, do you have a problem with privately educated people?

I've attended a private school and would be interested in hearing peoples' views

As someone who attended a state school, I don't see anything wrong with privately educated people. The teaching at my school was pretty awful really, though luckily for me I'm more of an independent learner. At the end of the day, if people have the money and want to send their children to better schools, what's wrong with that?
Reply 9
Original post by pereira325
Private schools are "in general consensus" better than state schools.
Yes, you get what you pay for but the question is... is it right to make education unequal?
A "dumb" person in a private school could end up with 10 A*s at GCSE because they've got loads of support from their school/tuitions whereas a "smart" person in a state school might end up with 4A* 4A 2B at GCSE. If we just look at the grades then we would think the "smart" person is the one from the private school and the "dumb" person is the one from the state school. That's wrong though, isn't it?

So how would you suggest we make education more equal?
Original post by Jpw1097
Of course, I knew what you meant, just being pedantic.

How nice of you.
jealousy is the main reason. people always tend to insult what they never had for themselves

lucky you I say. if i can afford it I would like to send my future children to private school
If parent(s) have the disposable income, they can spend their money on whatever they wish, if that so happens to be giving their child the best opportunity to be successful in life, I see no issue in doing that. It is a much better investment than a yearly holiday to Spain or a new shiny car.

I was state school educated, come from a working class family and the first person in my family to go to Uni. If I get a well paying job which will enable me to send my future children to private school, I'd certainly consider it.

I feel like people complain about private schools unfairly giving students a better education over the state provided education due to unfairly having the financial ability, but how about instead of complaining private schools unfairly provide a better education, complain about the lower than desired quality of education in state schools and push to improve that. Obviously fixing the state schools isn't an easy task but be frustrated at the state being out-done by private institutions.
(edited 5 years ago)
There is a certain stigma that private school students are spoilt, bratty, and overly privileged.

Personally, I don’t mind either way. Your parents having or not having money doesn’t always shape you as a person.
Original post by CTLeafez
If parent(s) have the disposable income, they can spend their money on whatever they wish, if that so happens to be giving their child the best opportunity to be successful in life, I see no issue in doing that. It is a much better investment than a yearly holiday to Spain or a new shiny car.

I was state school educated, come from a working class family and the first person in my family to go to Uni. If I get a well paying job which will enable me to send my future children to private school, I'd certainly consider it.

I feel like people complain about private schools unfairly giving students a better education over the state provided education due to unfairly having the financial ability, but how about instead of complaining private schools unfairly provide a better education, complain about the lower than desired quality of education in state schools and push to improve that. Obviously fixing the state schools isn't an easy task but be frustrated at the state being out-done by private institutions.

I’d disagree with that. I think people *are* mad at the lower quality of teaching in public schools, whereas private schools generally have a higher standard. It’s not about hating private schools, its about improving public ones, for most people.
Original post by FloralHybrid
There is a certain stigma that private school students are spoilt, bratty, and overly privileged.

Personally, I don’t mind either way. Your parents having or not having money doesn’t always shape you as a person.

I agree to an extent. I think what a lot of people don't realise is that some parents, mine for example(both went to poor state schools), but worked extremely hard to send myself and my siblings to a public school. Yes we are lucky, and I am unbelievably grateful-- I hope to pay my parents back if I can, although I know they'll try to not accept it.

I think there is a huge misconception of the wealth of a vast majority of people who attend private schools. Most of my friends, and my parents included, spend the majority of their disposable income on school fees. I do not have many friends that I would consider 'rich' once school fees have been paid for, and thus, do not gloat about 'daddys' money. None of them are snobby, which too, is a large misconception--but I do agree, there are some snobs..
(edited 5 years ago)
As long as they don’t try to act like state schools n private schools are ‘basically the same’ (because if they are then what’s even the point in spending all that money on private school hmmm?) and don’t act like everybody could get into private school on a scholarship (I’d literally have to move away just to go to one if I wanted, not to mention I’d need a full scholarship and I’m sure private schools don’t have infinite scholarships to hand out) then I’m fine :smile: personally if I was upper middle class I’d spend my money on travelling and experiences for my children, as opposed to private school, but I ain’t gonna be mad that they won the ‘birth lottery’ (just made that up) by being born into a well off family that prioritises their education 😊 I don’t judge people based on what they’re born with/ into, only what they do with it
(edited 5 years ago)
It's gives people an unfair advantage. I don't blame the people that have been sent there though.
Original post by FloralHybrid
I’d disagree with that. I think people *are* mad at the lower quality of teaching in public schools, whereas private schools generally have a higher standard. It’s not about hating private schools, its about improving public ones, for most people.

If that is true, why don't these people look towards the grammar schools for being the model of how a school should be. Look at what the grammars are doing to give the above average grades and then implement that into the state schools. (obviously a factor for their success could be more highly qualified teachers which are attracted by a higher wage, something which state schools couldn't compete with).

The anger seems to certainly be directed towards the grammars rather than the state schools.

Seems like criticising the A* student because the class clown got a D.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending