The Student Room Group

What advice would you give me about A levels ?

I'm gonna do Physics, Chemistry, and Maths (Mechanics+Core). And maybe English literature, purely because I like it :smile:

I've heard something like A levels are now gonna be linear ? What changes actually happened ? Could somebody please explain, since I'm confused ? And will I have to do Statistics too ?
Reply 1
Yes A levels are now linear. You’ve chosen all maths based subjects which is actually great. Physics works well with mechanics. You’ve literally got an advantage. Yes you do have to Stats. In my opinion stats is the worse part of maths
Original post by Missradioactive
I'm gonna do Physics, Chemistry, and Maths (Mechanics+Core). And maybe English literature, purely because I like it :smile:

I've heard something like A levels are now gonna be linear ? What changes actually happened ? Could somebody please explain, since I'm confused ? And will I have to do Statistics too ?

Revise as you go along including making notes and you will find it much easier and less stressful come your exam season
Reply 3
They basically mixed around the chapters into Pure, Mechanics, Stats rather than C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 M2 S1 S2. Some content have been taken out.
Original post by Muudeey
Yes A levels are now linear. You’ve chosen all maths based subjects which is actually great. Physics works well with mechanics. You’ve literally got an advantage. Yes you do have to Stats. In my opinion stats is the worse part of maths

Original post by Muudeey
They basically mixed around the chapters into Pure, Mechanics, Stats rather than C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 M2 S1 S2. Some content have been taken out.

I didn't even understand the modular thing properly, I mean, how many and what type modules count as one whole maths a level and stuff ? Also, how does the new linear method work ? Could you please explain ? Is it something like that I just have to take 'maths' rather than C1 C2 M1 M2 or stuff like that ? Should I have to sit all the exams at the end of two years or something ?
I'm extremely confused, and I really need help understanding these since I soon have to start going to the classes.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Missradioactive

I do exactly that without the english and in Year 12. Basically I'm pretty sure all boards you have to do all pure stats and mechanic, but not 100%. You said you're doing Mechanics and Pure what board does your school do? I'm also not sure but I think in previous years maths students took some exams in Year12 and then those who dropped had an AS in it then those who did A level did the extra modules in Year13, with ours we take all exams at the end of Year13, for me in 3 papers.
Reply 6
Have condensed notes for revision , very important. Do a lot of exam practice and see where u need to improve.

Have lovely, colourful, beautiful notes can help but remember, no one's gonna give a damn about that and your assessments are the thing that matters
Since a levels are linear, there is a lot more emphasis on knowing the spec. I say start revision early for each of your subjects so that you can cover each aspect of your spec thoroughly; then later on you can move to past questions.

When I say early I mean early: like October/ November of year 13 early.

Quick Reply

Latest