The Student Room Group

Life at Harris Westminster Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Toastiekid
No, I’ve not heard of it. I’d pick whichever one you’ll be happiest at and will do best at:yep:

Thank you 😊 good luck with your results!
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
I have a question? What are the following subjects like?:

English Literature
History
Politics
Economics
Philosophy, Theology and Ethics

Asking in case I might change Economics to PTE. Thanks!

Hi! I can only give you a brief response but basically PTE requires more reading and really understanding your views and being able to discuss them with others. I’m assuming the other humanities subjects are similar (Ive heard from a friend that Pol is easy). Whereas, Economics (which I do), is about learning content but also being able to connect concepts together as this is essential for writing essays. Also, people seem to think economics is heavy on maths, it’s not. Like there is some maths involved but only like GCSE level so there’s no issue. Economics has been an eye-opener for me. I enjoy the subject a lot because it’s relevant and changes in the UK economy happen all the time so it’s satisfying to understand them.

Overall, you can change subjects at the start of year 12 if you do not enjoy them.
Original post by HWSF Senate
Hi! I can only give you a brief response but basically PTE requires more reading and really understanding your views and being able to discuss them with others. I’m assuming the other humanities subjects are similar (Ive heard from a friend that Pol is easy). Whereas, Economics (which I do), is about learning content but also being able to connect concepts together as this is essential for writing essays. Also, people seem to think economics is heavy on maths, it’s not. Like there is some maths involved but only like GCSE level so there’s no issue. Economics has been an eye-opener for me. I enjoy the subject a lot because it’s relevant and changes in the UK economy happen all the time so it’s satisfying to understand them.

Overall, you can change subjects at the start of year 12 if you do not enjoy them.

Thanks.

How is the canteen? (This is really important to me as I’m a huge foodie lol)
Thank you 😊 good luck with your results!

You too!
Thanks.

How is the canteen? (This is really important to me as I’m a huge foodie lol)

Canteen food is okay. It’s a bit more expensive for unknown reasons, but I mean if you want to get work done then canteen food is probably your best option. However, you definitely can get food outside which I think you might prefer. (£3 Tesco meal deal is my recommendation) lmao
Canteen food is okay. It’s a bit more expensive for unknown reasons, but I mean if you want to get work done then canteen food is probably your best option. However, you definitely can get food outside which I think you might prefer. (£3 Tesco meal deal is my recommendation) lmao

I love £3 Tesco meal deal lool

What are the rules relating to lateness/absence in the case of something like snow or a Tube/bus strike?
I love £3 Tesco meal deal lool

What are the rules relating to lateness/absence in the case of something like snow or a Tube/bus strike?

Sadly, when it was snowing we still had to go to school, but with regards to lateness, you get 3 chances then you get a detention. With tube strikes, you are told to plan ahead and leave house early. With absence, if you have evidence that you were ill, they will mark it as an authorised absence.
Sadly, when it was snowing we still had to go to school, but with regards to lateness, you get 3 chances then you get a detention. With tube strikes, you are told to plan ahead and leave house early. With absence, if you have evidence that you were ill, they will mark it as an authorised absence.

Oh, what? That seems really unreasonable, the Tube strike rules. You would think they would relax it a little bit.

Is it really true that they are getting rid of Saturday school?
Oh, what? That seems really unreasonable, the Tube strike rules. You would think they would relax it a little bit.

Is it really true that they are getting rid of Saturday school?

Yesss lucky you guys, but you will have them in Year 13. I think having Saturday school was better because now they had to reform the timetable completely and added more lessons to compensate. Plus, on Saturdays I don’t really get work done, so it’s actually more beneficial for me (depends on the student) but yeah everyone has different opinions on Sat School.

I feel that when you attend Sat schools in Year 13 you will hate it because you are not used to getting up on a Sat morning hahaha
Yesss lucky you guys, but you will have them in Year 13. I think having Saturday school was better because now they had to reform the timetable completely and added more lessons to compensate. Plus, on Saturdays I don’t really get work done, so it’s actually more beneficial for me (depends on the student) but yeah everyone has different opinions on Sat School.

I feel that when you attend Sat schools in Year 13 you will hate it because you are not used to getting up on a Sat morning hahaha

I’m just like you - I hate doing work on Saturdays lol.

So how are the houses allocated to each student? How many free periods do you own? How do you organise your work?
I’m just like you - I hate doing work on Saturdays lol.

So how are the houses allocated to each student? How many free periods do you own? How do you organise your work?

You seem to have a lot of questions; get in touch with me via PM here...
You seem to have a lot of questions; get in touch with me via PM here...

Ok, sure thing...
Does the school do a lot of sports? Like competitions? If yes, is the school any good?
Another question I have is about the difficulty of 4 A levels? Is it really hard? When do people actually come to school and leave it? Not when lessons start but when they actually arrive? How many people will be in the year? Is it true you have coursework for maths? How many people in year 13 have Oxbridge offers this year? What will actually happen in the induction day? I got told that people who didn't apply can still enrol on results day if they received good GCSE results, what's the actual info about this? Sorry for all the questions.
Original post by Peng-uin
Does the school do a lot of sports? Like competitions? If yes, is the school any good?
Another question I have is about the difficulty of 4 A levels? Is it really hard? When do people actually come to school and leave it? Not when lessons start but when they actually arrive? How many people will be in the year? Is it true you have coursework for maths? How many people in year 13 have Oxbridge offers this year? What will actually happen in the induction day? I got told that people who didn't apply can still enrol on results day if they received good GCSE results, what's the actual info about this? Sorry for all the questions.

1) yea we do sports every Thursday from MMA to Swimming
2) we recently joined the Harris Fed Sports day; great fun.
3) depends what sports
4) 4 A levels, hard but manageable
5) you go school from 9-4 pm, can’t leave during frees unless y13. Can leave for lunch
6) not sure how many people will be in your year, in my year ~300
7) no coursework for maths
8) roughly 17 oxbridge offers (i think)
9) induction day, more info from us, the Senate, then taster lessons
10) ik people who got into the school on results day; so yes its possible- you ring them and tell them your results
How would studying
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
And French be like at HWSF?
Especially french since it's pre-U
Will you be allowed to do 3 a levels? I frankly don't see the point in them forcing you to do four when you're just going to end up spreading yourself too thin? Wouldn't it be better to get AAA than BBBB?
Reply 36
If you don't meet the entry requirements can you still get a place and there a certain colour for the dress code or can we wear any colour?
Original post by BChemGee
How would studying
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
And French be like at HWSF?
Especially french since it's pre-U

Hi! I do bio chem maths, but not french. I would say the three subjects I take are challenging. They have their unique difficulties. However, if you stay on top of things, you should be fine.
Pre U French is hard (from what ive heard). You need to study films and books i think? But if you want to take Pre U French, make sure you are really good at it, and enjoy the subject, otherwise you will lose interest when the subject becomes difficult
Original post by Fastwith
Will you be allowed to do 3 a levels? I frankly don't see the point in them forcing you to do four when you're just going to end up spreading yourself too thin? Wouldn't it be better to get AAA than BBBB?

Yes, Mr Handscombe is letting us drop an A Level when we go to Year 13 but it is discouraged because doing 4 A Levels will not only make you work harder but also provide a safety net when you miss a grade for uni. There have been instances where a student missed their grade on one subject but still got their Oxford offer because of getting the grade they need on the 4th subject.

Prospective Oxbridge candidates are encouraged to take 4 A Levels as this is the norm.

Doing 3 also allows you to relax a bit more, which often leads to not getting work done.

It really depends on the person, if you choose to do 3, you would have to do an EPQ.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by msmars
If you don't meet the entry requirements can you still get a place and there a certain colour for the dress code or can we wear any colour?

If you don’t meet the entry requirements, (i mean overall requirement, not subject specific) you will not get a place. Dress Code can be found on our website, but if you wear smart clothes, colour doesn’t really matter.

Quick Reply

Latest