The Student Room Group

OCR A Level Biology- how hard is it?

Starting it in September- could you tell me everything I need to know about starting this.
Buy the cgp textbooks (not the revision guides but the cgp textbooks)
You can also buy the exam board textbooks if you go the money to spare - but cgp is good enough imo.
Do past papers throughout the year while you are learning the topics (e.g. when you have finished making notes on enzymes do all the past paper questions on enzymes) - don't leave it to then end of the year like you would when you are completing your gcses.
Make sure you read ahead before lesson so you already know most of the stuff.
If you dont get anything make sure you ask the teacher for help.
LOTS OF PAST PAPERS (STARTING FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR! - use the website physicsandmathstutor for exam resouces and notes)
Memorise markschemes for long answers/definitions e.g. definition for resolution.
Use markschemes/past papers to make notes - so that your wording in your notes are correct (in alevel biology you need to make sure you answer questions with the correct wording to get the marks e.g. you cant say cell membrane, you have to be specific and say cell-surface (plasma) membrane).
There's A LOT of content but it's not too complicated. The exam itself is why everyone complains about ocr biology, like this year our paper 2 was horrible.
But if you stay on top of your work, learn your content in depth (including practicals) and can do gcse maths, you should be okay.
Keep your notes organised and ready for revision in A2, make sure you have written all revision materials before exam season like latest march/April, do lots of practise questions, i used mrs millers blog questions for practice.
Original post by Beth286
Starting it in September- could you tell me everything I need to know about starting this.

It is difficult. I found it to be my hardest subject. You will need to put in a lot of effort for it. I recommend getting the textbook now and doing some pre reading just to get a basic understanding of it.

You need to work hard in biology. If you do that you'll be fine and will get a good grade. If you stay on top of the work and ask questions when you're confused you'll be absolutely fine.
Reply 4
Original post by shohaib712
Buy the cgp textbooks (not the revision guides but the cgp textbooks)
You can also buy the exam board textbooks if you go the money to spare - but cgp is good enough imo.
Do past papers throughout the year while you are learning the topics (e.g. when you have finished making notes on enzymes do all the past paper questions on enzymes) - don't leave it to then end of the year like you would when you are completing your gcses.
Make sure you read ahead before lesson so you already know most of the stuff.
If you dont get anything make sure you ask the teacher for help.
LOTS OF PAST PAPERS (STARTING FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR! - use the website physicsandmathstutor for exam resouces and notes)
Memorise markschemes for long answers/definitions e.g. definition for resolution.
Use markschemes/past papers to make notes - so that your wording in your notes are correct (in alevel biology you need to make sure you answer questions with the correct wording to get the marks e.g. you cant say cell membrane, you have to be specific and say cell-surface (plasma) membrane).

Why don’t you recommend the cgp revision guide?? And thanks for the help!
Reply 5
Original post by DrawTheLine
It is difficult. I found it to be my hardest subject. You will need to put in a lot of effort for it. I recommend getting the textbook now and doing some pre reading just to get a basic understanding of it.

You need to work hard in biology. If you do that you'll be fine and will get a good grade. If you stay on top of the work and ask questions when you're confused you'll be absolutely fine.

What other subjects did you do??
Original post by Beth286
What other subjects did you do??

Geography and psychology, plus an EPQ.
Original post by Beth286

Idk about cgp but I bought the Pearson ocr a biology revision guide and personally did not like it. It was good for summarising but doesn't include all key points and it was good for simplifying processes so I learnt them quicker, but it is vague and I found a few mistakes in it which confused me so I didn't use it much.
Original post by Beth286

The revision guides dont go into enough detail and they look nasty AF/ugly to read and always triggered my OCD. The cgp textbooks give enough detail and explanation so that you can teach yourself the topic whereas the exam board textbooks give too much detail/irrelevant BS (which isnt needed) and can confuse you imo. So get the textbooks - it got me an easy A at AS. Which exam board are you taking?
Here is what the ocr textbooks look like:
https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/books_a_level_biology_ocr.book_BRATB52.pageFlip_BRATB52

Here is what the nasty revision guide looks like:
https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/books_a_level_biology_ocr.book_BRAR54.pageFlip_BRAR54

Those are demos so click on the guides and it wil shows you example pages of whats inside them

Quick Reply

Latest