The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL cash in

Hello,I am in a position where I only need an E in A2 biology.I am repeating unit 1 and 3 in October so that i could get a UMS of 240.I am worried that i might not be able to get a UMS of 240,so I was wondering if it was possible if I could cash in an A2 qualification based off only my AS papers;and whether I need to do all the papers and I was wondering if I was to do unit 4 in October,the UMS I would need would only be 15 or 20,but that would be a U,could the UMS I get from a U go towards my cash in?
Original post by RAMZI961
Hello,I am in a position where I only need an E in A2 biology.I am repeating unit 1 and 3 in October so that i could get a UMS of 240.I am worried that i might not be able to get a UMS of 240,so I was wondering if it was possible if I could cash in an A2 qualification based off only my AS papers;and whether I need to do all the papers and I was wondering if I was to do unit 4 in October,the UMS I would need would only be 15 or 20,but that would be a U,could the UMS I get from a U go towards my cash in?
Which specifications are you talking about here specifically please?
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/biology.html
This one?

Or the new 2018 ones?

I don't believe it's possible to transfer any sort of UWS or marks from an AS to an A Level under the new 2018 IA Levels since they are separate stand-alone qualifications (I think).

Taken from the ones linked above...
There is one resit opportunity allowed for each unit prior to claiming certification for the qualification. The best available result for each contributing unit will count towards the final grade. After certification all unit results may be reused to count towards a new award. Students may re-enter for certification only if they have retaken at least one unit. Results of units are held in the Pearson unit bank and have a shelf life limited only by the shelf life of this specification.

When you say "cash in an A2 qualification based off only my AS papers" could you elaborate on what you mean exactly?

You don't have to retake all the units I imagine if there is more than one exam paper in a single unit then you would have to complete all assessments within a unit you are registered as retaking.

As for unit 4 in October, if there is a sitting of unit 4 in October then Edexcel tend to specify who is eligible to sit that. Check if you are.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Which specifications are you talking about here specifically please?
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/biology.html
This one?

Or the new 2018 ones?

I don't believe it's possible to transfer any sort of UWS or marks from an AS to an A Level under the new 2018 IA Levels since they are separate stand-alone qualifications (I think).

Taken from the ones linked above...
There is one resit opportunity allowed for each unit prior to claiming certification for the qualification. The best available result for each contributing unit will count towards the final grade. After certification all unit results may be reused to count towards a new award. Students may re-enter for certification only if they have retaken at least one unit. Results of units are held in the Pearson unit bank and have a shelf life limited only by the shelf life of this specification.

When you say "cash in an A2 qualification based off only my AS papers" could you elaborate on what you mean exactly?

You don't have to retake all the units I imagine if there is more than one exam paper in a single unit then you would have to complete all assessments within a unit you are registered as retaking.

As for unit 4 in October, if there is a sitting of unit 4 in October then Edexcel tend to specify who is eligible to sit that. Check if you are.

I am doing the old syllabus.i dont want to transfer grades even if it was possible.i am just wondering if the UMS you get from a U go towards a cash in?
Reply 3
The UMS for A2 is based from AS and A level papers.So if you get a full mark in all your A2 papers and you didn't do any AS papers,then you get a D.For example,I am most probably getting an A in chemistry AS,which adds up to a UMS of 240 which is an A in AS,and it is the required UMS for an E in A2
Hello,I am in a position where I only need an E in A2 biology.I am repeating unit 1 and 3 in October so that i could get a UMS of 240. I am worried that i might not be able to get a UMS of 240, so I was wondering if it was possible if I could cash in an A2 qualification based off only my AS papers;and whether I need to do all the papers and I was wondering if I was to do unit 4 in October,the UMS I would need would only be 15 or 20,but that would be a U,could the UMS I get from a U go towards my cash in?
I am doing the old syllabus.i dont want to transfer grades even if it was possible.i am just wondering if the UMS you get from a U go towards a cash in?
The UMS for A2 is based from AS and A level papers.So if you get a full mark in all your A2 papers and you didn't do any AS papers,then you get a D.For example,I am most probably getting an A in chemistry AS,which adds up to a UMS of 240 which is an A in AS,and it is the required UMS for an E in A2

Okay let's take a step backwards because there's a few things you're saying here which is either incorrect or unclear.

You're resitting units 1 and 3. Are you also sitting exams for units 4, 5 and 6 this year, to give you an A Level?

"The UMS for A2 is based from AS and A level papers."
I'm not sure what you mean by this, A2 is part of the A Level, as in an AS. The UMS for A Level is based on the total UMS from units 1-3 and 4-6 i.e. your AS and A2 components.

I was wondering if it was possible if I could cash in an A2 qualification based off only my AS papers
A2 is not a qualification. A Level is the qualification and AS forms half of that.

I'm pretty sure that it's a requirement to sit all 6 exam papers in order to certify the (A Level) qualification. You can ask edexcel to check I'm right though. So if you were thinking about sitting units 1-4 and walking away with an E at A Level you'd be wrong. However, you have to particularly revise for units 5 and 6, just sit at the exam desk for however long you have to.
I gave my alevels in 2014 and I need just one mark to get an E overall in biology! My UMS is 239..I need a 240 or above! Can I just retake any unit of my choice to get a UMS of 240! It’s 2019 now Is it possible according to the new rules or will I have to take a resit for all 6 units for the subject?
Reply 6
Original post by karma2343
I gave my alevels in 2014 and I need just one mark to get an E overall in biology! My UMS is 239..I need a 240 or above! Can I just retake any unit of my choice to get a UMS of 240! It’s 2019 now Is it possible according to the new rules or will I have to take a resit for all 6 units for the subject?

What did you end up finding out because im in a similar situation where i cashed in my AS results but i was to retake a single unit because it was the only one with a bad grade. Is is possible for me to do so without having to retake all 3 units and get a certificate with the 2 units i got a good grade in plus the one i will retake and exclude the old bad grade completely

Quick Reply

Latest