The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

The Official Aston University 2018 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi

I am so stressed as I really want to study Accounting at Aston university, however I dont think I will meet the grade requirements in Alevel Mathematics. I think I will get an E😓 😞, do you think there might be a chance through clearing if I get ABE/BBE
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by rihannaxo
Hi

I am so stressed as I really want to study Accounting at Aston university, however I dont think I will meet the grade requirements in Alevel Mathematics. I think I will get an E😓 😞, do you think there might be a chance through clearing if I get ABE/BBE

Hi,

Sorry to add to your stress, but it's unlikely you would be accepted onto an accounting degree with an E grade in mathematics if the worst does happen rest assured there is no penalty against retakes. I retook a number of A Levels myself before coming to Aston.

Good luck and I hope you're worrying about nothing and get some good news on the big day.

Josh
Hi,
I have just finished sixth form and studied BTEC Business National Diploma and BTEC ICT from the 2016 specification.
As it stands I have two Distinction grades achieved in the Business course and a Merit in the ICT course.
Aston have offered me a conditional offer on the basis of me achieving three distinctions which is why I retook one of my ICT exams to try push it up to a distinction and I took a chance with retaking my Business exams to try get the Distinction stars.
If it were to stay as my current grades of DDM would that be acceptable ? as I would just fall short considering I was also one mark off in one unit I had took in ICT, which is why I had retaken the second year exam. I had also thought that BTEC students may be discredited slightly but I doubt this is true especially in the new specification being taken. Just getting a bit shaky about this as I have firmed Aston and is the only place I want to go to for university.
Thank you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Bspurewal26
Hi,
I have just finished sixth form and studied BTEC Business National Diploma and BTEC ICT from the 2016 specification.
As it stands I have two Distinction grades achieved in the Business course and a Merit in the ICT course.
Aston have offered me a conditional offer on the basis of me achieving three distinctions which is why I retook one of my ICT exams to try push it up to a distinction and I took a chance with retaking my Business exams to try get the Distinction stars.
If it were to stay as my current grades of DDM would that be acceptable ? as I would just fall short considering I was also one mark off in one unit I had took in ICT, which is why I had retaken the second year exam. I had also thought that BTEC students may be discredited slightly but I doubt this is true especially in the new specification being taken. Just getting a bit shaky about this as I have firmed Aston and is the only place I want to go to for university.
Thank you.

Hi, There is usually a level of leniency in our entry requirements, unfortunately by how much and which subjects changes year to year. The best advice I can give you is just to wait until results day and see if you’re accepted.

Try not to get too shaky, just try and enjoy your summer. :smile:
Reply 44
Possibly transferring into the 2nd year for Computer Science at Aston.

Was wondering if there were any students I could chat to who are already there/going there?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by KA99_
Possibly transferring into the 2nd year for Computer Science at Aston.

Was wondering if there were any students I could chat to who are already there/going there?

A recent graduate in Computer Science with Business. Drop me a message if you have any questions.
Original post by imrhan13
A recent graduate in Computer Science with Business. Drop me a message if you have any questions.

Thanks for helping KA99_ out.

:smile:
Reply 47
Hi do you hold any campus tours?
Original post by AminaN
Hi do you hold any campus tours?

Hi,

You've just missed our recent Open Day. However, we welcome self-guided tours of our campus. You should be able to access most parts of the university if you come to visit.

Josh
Hi,

i was made a conditional offer of BB in 2 alevels and a D-(Distinction) for accounting and finance however i have achieved a D* and think that i may achieve a B and a C/D in the 2 alevels. do you think there could be a chance through clearing if i were to get BDD*.
Original post by john3212
Hi,

i was made a conditional offer of BB in 2 alevels and a D-(Distinction) for accounting and finance however i have achieved a D* and think that i may achieve a B and a C/D in the 2 alevels. do you think there could be a chance through clearing if i were to get BDD*.

Hi John,

Unfortunately, I can't offer you much more than what I've said above. There will be some flexibility in entry requirements, but the amount for each course will be up to the discretion of our admissions team and academic staff. It's usually based on a number of factors that we don't have a clear indication of until a few days before results day.

Honestly, the best advice I can give you is; plan for every possible outcome and then try to switch off.

Best of luck
Josh
Hi, just wondering how much people normally pay for laundry a month as im trying to do a budget plan
Laundry at aston campus with unite students is extremely expensive. You're better off finding a friend who has a washing machine in their house. Its £3 PER WASH then £1.70 PER DRY and you can't fit a great amount in. So roughly £20 a month on laundry.
Original post by Trizzyyy
I just wanted to ask what the entry requirements were for chemical engineering through clearing at Aston University in 2017 and is it likely to be in clearing again for 2018 and what the entry requirements might be? thanks

Dont be worrying about results day, sometimes they have mercy on you. My entry requirements were BBC for CPM and I managed to get in with BDE plus a B in EPQ
Original post by mediocremess
Hi, just wondering how much people normally pay for laundry a month as im trying to do a budget plan

Hi Mediocremess,

Unite Students manage the laundry for the accommodations, costs £3 for a wash and £1.70 for a dry.

https://www.unitestudents.com/the-common-room/student-living/how-to-do-laundry-in-your-new-home

^Kam
I wish I didnt reject Aston... Should've made it my firm:frown:
Original post by zahraahmedish
I wish I didnt reject Aston... Should've made it my firm:frown:

Still time to come through clearing :wink:

^Kam
Reply 57
My offer for Aston is still conditional. Is that bad and did they reject me? 😭
Original post by A20065
My offer for Aston is still conditional. Is that bad and did they reject me? 😭

It means the university hasn't made the decision yet! As you can imagine, we have a lot of offers to be given out today. It should update within the next hour or so! ^Kam
Reply 59
just wondering, are there any group chats or anything that we can join or get added in once our accommodation is confirmed so we can meet our flatmates?

Quick Reply

Latest