The Student Room Group

I scraped a car and didn't notice

Hi guys,

so I just scraped a car in the city centre and didn't notice until I'd left. I've called the police who said nothing had been reported and they didn't even want to take my details to pass on if it gets reported.

Given that I don't know exactly where I scraped the car as I didn't hear anything, have I done all I can or is there something else I can do?
Oh wellllll Danny boi, at least they don’t know who you are. Maybe you should take precaution and fly out to Antarctica and live there for a while.
Reply 2
Original post by odannyboi
Hi guys,

so I just scraped a car in the city centre and didn't notice until I'd left. I've called the police who said nothing had been reported and they didn't even want to take my details to pass on if it gets reported.

Given that I don't know exactly where I scraped the car as I didn't hear anything, have I done all I can or is there something else I can do?

How didn't you notice...? How have you all of a sudden noticed...?

The Police should have taken your details. You're also contractually obliged to inform your insurance company of any collisions.
How did you not notice? You did the right thing reporting it and all you can really do is see if anybody rings the police and gets your contact details. It can’t be that bad if you didn’t notice
Reply 4
Original post by Sadieleigh95
How did you not notice? You did the right thing reporting it and all you can really do is see if anybody rings the police and gets your contact details. It can’t be that bad if you didn’t notice

It turns out if you have your music on load, you can't really hear it and because it was only a scuff I didn't really feel it either. I've looked at the scratch on my car and its not that bad at all so hopefully nothing happens
Reply 5
It turns out if you have your music on load, you can't really hear it and because it was only a scuff I didn't really feel it either. I've looked at the scratch on my car and its not that bad at all so hopefully nothing happens

Okay.. but how do you know that it wasn't someone else who hit you? Unless you were consciously aware that you hit another vehicle (in which case, you're an arse for not leaving a note) then you can't rule out the possibility someone has hit you instead.

From experience you will still FEEL a collision even if music masks the sound. It sounds as if it was really minor not to notice. Whats the damage to your car? Is it just a bit of paint transfer and nothing else? If it's just paint transfer it's likely to be the same for the other person. This can be solved by using T cut. Honestly I wouldn't worry. They probably havent noticed either! I full on banged my neighbours car once trying to get out and I heard it over my music. No damage to my car, they just had some of my white paint on their bumper.
You've done the right thing. Rest easy.
Original post by sonny.jim
You've done the right thing. Rest easy.

Completely agree. For you to not have noticed it can’t be anything worse than a bit of paint transfer. Worst case scenario even if the other person decided to make a big deal out of it the police and insurance companies have better things to do than track someone down for a scuffed bumper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending