The Student Room Group

HMRC customer service consultant

Scroll to see replies

Original post by civilservice
Thanks for the info Anisa, silver67surfer & kaysher246. Very appreciated.

Anisa:-

1. Are we expected to take a certain number of calls or set targets?
2. I thought this role was about chasing customers for debt? What info would we need to learn? i.e would we need to understand complex PAYE?
3. When you say we need to be good at Maths, does it involve working complex tax or just general addition/subtraction?

There is no target in regards to how many calls you take it is not monitored.but we have quality and call handling times targets meaning the length of the overall call needs to be under a certain time which will be made up of your talk/hold/and wrap up.
Not sure if your role is debt manegement.
But if you get paye and self assessment it will involve debt issues you will explain to people about debt they may have and explain why and how we will collect it.
You will learn about about paye and tax codes but it is complex and there is a lot to it than just codes.theres 20% tax payers and higher rate you could be dealing with people who earn over 100k which is even more complex.there is also people who have company benefits that need to be in codes like company cars.we also deal with expenses ie mileage claim.we deal with interest and dividends, marriage allowence claims, theres so much to learn
Whati mean by maths in your training you will leanrn how it is all calculated howver the computer will work it all out for you but some customers will want an explanation how its worked out so thats were you math will come into it and when you make descisions when making updates you will use maths.you will actually be given a calculator as they do expect you to use math.
Lol a lot to take in i know pay is massive! Thats why your probation is 1yr long because you need that long to learn everything
Dont worry lots of help and support in place.i thought i was never guna learn it all but you just do.you also have call guide which help you wilst on calls
Hope this helps!
Thanks so much Anisa. That's very valuable information. I am quite a bit worried now as I don't have a clue about tax. A bit naive of me, but I had assumed I'll be providing customers with simple answers to their questions or dealing with their debt issues. What I wasn't expecting was to learn complex paye and tax codes or understanding about company cars/expenses.

I'm good at Maths, because I scored 95% on the test, so I'm not worried about that.

But I'm really worried as I have no experience at all dealing with calls and. Also I'm concerned what happens to those whom are on probation if they fail to meet their targets or get to grips with the tax system. Do they get fired or do they get transferred internally to a different department?
(edited 5 years ago)
Thanks so much Anisa. That's very valuable information. I am quite a bit worried now as I don't have a clue about tax. A bit naive of me, but I had assumed I'll be providing customers with simple answers to their questions or dealing with their debt issues. What I wasn't expecting was to learn complex paye and tax codes or understanding about company cars/expenses.

I'm good at Maths, because I scored 95% on the test, so I'm not worried about that.

But I'm really worried as I have no experience at all dealing with calls and. Also I'm concerned what happens to those whom are on probation if they fail to meet their targets or get to grips with the tax system. Do they get fired or do they get transferred internally to a different department?

The whole point of the job you are going into is to teach you how to do it and at a pace which means you arnt overloaded with information,
No one who goes into a new job knows how it's done on day zero you will have times during your training you will be assessed on what you have covered in that period and this will give your assessor an idea of your ability to take information in don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help.

Your good at maths but you weren't the first day in school were you ??!! that's my point

Don't over think the training you will be fine
(edited 5 years ago)

As silver said you will be fine.im rubbbish at math lol.trust me it not as hard as you think and will learn after every call like i said lots of support and no you wont get sacked.sorry if iv scared you honestly it gets easier like in any job you learn as you go
@silver67surfer - That's true, but not every employer is the same. Some give you more hard time than others and put you under a lot of stress, just to reach their targets. I'm just hoping this job role is not one of them.

@Anisablue - You can't be that bad at maths if you're working there, lol! No, you haven't scared me, haha. What kind of customers can we expect? Ones that swear/abuse you over the phone? Don't you ever feel nervous knowing that someone is listening to your calls?
@silver67surfer - That's true, but not every employer is the same. Some give you more hard time than others and put you under a lot of stress, just to reach their targets. I'm just hoping this job role is not one of them.

@Anisablue - You can't be that bad at maths if you're working there, lol! No, you haven't scared me, haha. What kind of customers can we expect? Ones that swear/abuse you over the phone? Don't you ever feel nervous knowing that someone is listening to your calls?

Yes you will get difficukt calls abusive customers but you will get training for it.and yes your calls get listened to that how they mark your quality however you will never know someone is listening to you.your manager will just randamly pull you and say iv marked a call can you come in the meeting room lol
Morning guys,

I have applied for other jobs now, I’ve has 2 interviews so far this week. I will take the first job offer. It was said to me sarcastically at the interview, if I had any other job interviews!? ..of course goes without saying. I have bills to pay like everyone else! So unacceptable, question is will they treat you any better once you are employed by them ? Checkout their customer reviews.
Reply 87
Original post by Fizzwhizz786
Morning guys,

I have applied for other jobs now, I’ve has 2 interviews so far this week. I will take the first job offer. It was said to me sarcastically at the interview, if I had any other job interviews!? ..of course goes without saying. I have bills to pay like everyone else! So unacceptable, question is will they treat you any better once you are employed by them ? Checkout their customer reviews.

Same here, I’ve just been to one yesterday. We’ve got bills to pay, and at this point whatever opportunity comes first I’m going to go for that one.
Reply 88
I'm okay with time tbh I already work at Tesco but it is still annoying waiting
Original post by zaref
Same here, I’ve just been to one yesterday. We’ve got bills to pay, and at this point whatever opportunity comes first I’m going to go for that one.

Good. It’s the best way, just don’t know if you will get the job and they may still keep you hanging by putting you on a “reserve list”.
Original post by cain89
I'm okay with time tbh I already work at Tesco but it is still annoying waiting

It’s not too bad if you have a job 👍🏾
Original post by Anisablue
Yes you will get difficukt calls abusive customers but you will get training for it.and yes your calls get listened to that how they mark your quality however you will never know someone is listening to you.your manager will just randamly pull you and say iv marked a call can you come in the meeting room lol

Anisa, would you mind me asking which location you currently work at? Also are the managers really tough? For example would they shout at you if you're finding it difficult to grasp something?
Anisa, would you mind me asking which location you currently work at? Also are the managers really tough? For example would they shout at you if you're finding it difficult to grasp something?

Im based in bradford.no the managers are really nice.if u are struggling they would just give exrtra support like listening to calls and having a buddy
Im based in bradford.no the managers are really nice.if u are struggling they would just give exrtra support like listening to calls and having a buddy

Thanks so much! I know you might feel I might be going on about this, but it's just that I'm so nervous. It's a first interview where I feel I did really well. Even the people whom interviewed me said that they were surprised that I had managed to answer all their questions, so I'm trying to be positive.
Bradford did you say? Is that centenary court or interchange?
Thanks so much! I know you might feel I might be going on about this, but it's just that I'm so nervous. It's a first interview where I feel I did really well. Even the people whom interviewed me said that they were surprised that I had managed to answer all their questions, so I'm trying to be positive.
Bradford did you say? Is that centenary court or interchange?[/QUOT
Interchange but heard all new starters will be based in centenary court as we are all moving there next september

Interchange but heard all new starters will be based in centenary court as we are all moving there next september

Ahh right, I see. You've been working there for a year, right? Did you have previous experience before starting here or have you learnt everything from scratch?
Results are in

good luck
Original post by stewymac118
Results are in

good luck

Did you get an email saying results were back? I haven’t had anything yet
Original post by Sweetnerx
Did you get an email saying results were back? I haven’t had anything yet

NO. just checked the portal. I only scored 3 3 3 and was unsuccessful. have no idea what the are looking for as I answered based on the CC framework and used STAR and thought I had good examples 😂😂 apparently not!
mine hasn't changed yet...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending