The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Is anyone else starting Nat Sci next month?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Original post by Stinktank
If you study an access course, say science, technology and maths, are you confined to studying a degree in that area? Or could you change your mind and study, for example, History and Politics?

nope access courses would be entirely separate from the degree you chose, they're just designed to help you ease back into the habit of studying again! unfortunately the credits you'll get at the end won't go towards your degree :frown: it'll cost you a fair bit of money though but i think it's worth it, especially if you've been out of education for a while
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sianeoco
nope access courses would be entirely separate from the degree you chose, they're just designed to help you ease back into the habit of studying again! unfortunately the credits you'll get at the end won't go towards your degree :frown: it'll cost you a fair bit of money though but i think it's worth it, especially if you've been out of education for a while

Some people are entitled to do the access modules for free. :smile:

@Stinktank I was considering doing an access course but glad I didn't and so are others, as the first module you do teaches you everything and is really basic and gradual. My first assignment is like 400 words and half of that is posting in forums and self reflection. They teach you how to reference, how to write your TMA, where to find information etc. Your first year doesn't even go to your final grade and you only need a 40 to pass your module/year (not sure which).
Is anybody studying law from Bedford area near milton keynes?
Hey!

Is anyone currently studying the AA100 Introduction to the Arts module?
Original post by Piña colada
Hey!

Is anyone currently studying the AA100 Introduction to the Arts module?

I'm not, but I hear somebody chat about how they never realised how awesome Cleopatra or Cezanne was about three times a week, so I feel like I am ... :biggrin:
My module this year has a workshop tool, where you submit work and then give feedback on three other people's work (and then get feedback on yours at the end) - last year's module had the same tool which was always a bit wobbly so we were all rather hoping it would work better this year. Not a bit of it! First off it was supposed to switch automatically from submission mode to feedback mode at midnight, but didn't. Then they reckoned someone needed to come in and press a button, so it'd be like 9am. Then it transpired something else was up with it, and while they tried to fix it we went through a stage where it said it was open for feedback but nobody had anything to feed back on, then it showed a stage that doesn't even exist in the process including everyone getting a grade of 0% (even though it's not graded!), then it said it was closed, then it went back to the feedback stage but we all had five pieces to feed back on rather than three (and it's quite a lot of work to give feedback. Like I did one this evening and it took me an hour and a half). Then they eventually fixed it so we had three each, but they weren't three of the original five. All this took until after lunch. In the meantime some people had planned to work on it in the early hours of during the day today; and other people started working when the five pieces showed up, only for them to disappear when it switched to three.

So that went well.
Just got an email to say my group will temporarily have a different tutor (for extremely good reasons, I will say). Now busy thinking of all the things I would have approached differently in my TMA commentary if I'd known that before the deadline (today) and whether frantically submitting a tweaked version in the grace period is worth it. Probably not, on balance, but :-(
Hey OU students... fancy sharing your desk pics in this thread? :ninja: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5178946

Original post by Persipan
Just got an email to say my group will temporarily have a different tutor (for extremely good reasons, I will say). Now busy thinking of all the things I would have approached differently in my TMA commentary if I'd known that before the deadline (today) and whether frantically submitting a tweaked version in the grace period is worth it. Probably not, on balance, but :-(

You are doing an MA right, is there much tutor support for that?
Original post by Snufkin
Hey OU students... fancy sharing your desk pics in this thread? :ninja: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5178946

You are doing an MA right, is there much tutor support for that?

Desk? Hahaha. I sit cross-legged on the sofa, sideways, hunched over my laptop and fending off the cat.

My programme has literally no tutorials, not even online ones or forum-activity ones, so it's a bit of a weird one. For year 2 of the MA the tutor groups are smaller than for year one, so in one sense there's more tutor support than ever; but in another sense that doesn't sit within a very structured format so it's kind of there if you connect with it directly.
Desk? Hahaha. I sit cross-legged on the sofa, sideways, hunched over my laptop and fending off the cat.

My programme has literally no tutorials, not even online ones or forum-activity ones, so it's a bit of a weird one. For year 2 of the MA the tutor groups are smaller than for year one, so in one sense there's more tutor support than ever; but in another sense that doesn't sit within a very structured format so it's kind of there if you connect with it directly.

Really? I could never work like that... :frown: I sometimes get desk envy when I see a really nice one on FB, esp if it has books for a module I want to do. Lame. :lol:

That's weird - so you're not getting much for your money then. Any ideas what you will do after you're done?
Original post by Snufkin
Really? I could never work like that... :frown: I sometimes get desk envy when I see a really nice one on FB, esp if it has books for a module I want to do. Lame. :lol:

That's weird - so you're not getting much for your money then. Any ideas what you will do after you're done?

I do have a nice desk. A G-plan vintage one with a floating top. Like this: https://goo.gl/images/TkFkTg. I just completely fail to sit at it!

In fairness, I should say that a lot of the point of the MA is the interaction with other students, so you do a lot of giving feedback, and there's a regular workshop where you also do that but in a slightly more formal way. So a lot of the focus is on that.

Afterwards... I've been thinking about how much I enjoy the commentary side of things, and really enjoying the academic and theoretical aspects this year. So, there's part of me that's whispering 'do a PhD'... but I probably shouldn't, at least not straight away. Maybe one day!
Hi everyone. Nominations for the Student Room's annual Community Awards have just opened. Please click HERE and nominate for as many categories as you can - the more names put forward, the better! Good luck! :h:
Heya! I’ve just sent you a notification to make sure everyone finds the Open University group chat thread Don’t worry, I’ve ghost-quoted you so your username isn’t visible unless you chose to post (by replying to this message or in this thread). It's a nice thread for general support around studying with the OU :redface: You can also ask questions in the Open University forum :h: :woo:

If anyone needs help finding anything on site let me know :redface:

SUZIEF270151
jungle jane
OldTimer30
trou_noir
pharmaton33
affadz
AbbeyPace
darkriver
Nathan.1991
1997 Dan Luke
paulo241
Longjohn123
Hipe1116
lumpinee
abbielwhite
thirstyfish
Reece1997
zGeorge106
linda2
Shalize
Nashawii
lilibruk22
revcn
scrow
LauraClaire994
Amz82
CAFS
jennie12234
Meritina
JT3J
Spartan Shield
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Heya! I’ve just sent you a notification to make sure everyone finds the Open University group chat thread Don’t worry, I’ve ghost-quoted you so your username isn’t visible unless you chose to post (by replying to this message or in this thread). It's a nice thread for general support around studying with the OU :redface: You can also ask questions in the Open University forum :h: :woo:

If anyone needs help finding anything on site let me know :redface:

Oh, I didn't get a notification. Was I supposed to? :tongue:
Original post by Snufkin
Oh, I didn't get a notification. Was I supposed to? :tongue:

No because you have posted before :ninja: :tongue:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
No because you have posted before :ninja: :tongue:

Oohh... so who gets a notification? Everyone who hasn't posted here?
Original post by Snufkin
Oohh... so who gets a notification? Everyone who hasn't posted here?

Yeah :colondollar: That's why I keep the usernames hidden :yep:
Am I losing it completely if I'm thinking about signing up to do a level 3 module, just for fun, once I get to the end of the masters?

I think I'm just not sure what I'd do with myself if I weren't studying!
Am I losing it completely if I'm thinking about signing up to do a level 3 module, just for fun, once I get to the end of the masters?

I think I'm just not sure what I'd do with myself if I weren't studying!

Ooh what module?

Quick Reply

Latest