The Student Room Group

Physics a level

Hi TSR,

I just need advise on how to revise a level physics because when I revise I don’t really know what to do.

Any advice would help,

Thanks
Past Papers! The best way I found to approach it was to do them in sections (like spend 15-20 mins on 1 or 2 questions), mark them and add corrections and then go over the topics of the questions for 20 mins and then go back to the paper. Flash cards are also ideal for learning basic definitions which can be like 1-2 marks in the exams.

Hope this helps!

:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by dreamerz11
Past Papers! The best way I found to approach it was to do them in sections (like spend 15-20 mins on 1 or 2 questions), mark them and add corrections and then go over the topics of the questions for 20 mins and then go back to the paper. Flash cards are also ideal for learning basic definitions which can be like 1-2 marks in the exams.

Hope this helps!

:smile:

Thanks!!!!!!

So when I go over the topics, what exactly do I do? Do I copy down the notes from my textbook or do I try to memorise them by copying them over and over?

Thanks for your help, it’s much appreciated.
Original post by Yodalam
Thanks!!!!!!

So when I go over the topics, what exactly do I do? Do I copy down the notes from my textbook or do I try to memorise them by copying them over and over?

Thanks for your help, it’s much appreciated.

If you have a textbook, make some basic notes and then attempt summary questions (if there are any). If there aren’t, you could even try writing some of your own and testing yourself! I found doing mindmaps also worked well, it’s really up to you! :smile:
Reply 4
Ok thanks for your help!!!!
From my experience (finished a level physics a week ago), you really need to practice applying physics in different situations.
You may learn everything from the textbook, but still not see how to approach a question. Very likely many exam questions will look like something you've never done before. So this is when you will need to be able to apply what you've learnt to a very new kind of problem.
I think Isaacphysics is quite a good resource since it has problems that actually require you to think rather than just apply a formula.
Also, https://phet.colorado.edu/ is a good website that has a lot of simulations that helps you visualise what's going on (especially helpful for electricity since there are many misconceptions there).
If you are worried about revision notes and content, I created a quizlet set that has almost all the a level content (it's for AQA but also useful for other exam boards, also be careful not to rely too much on this. As I said earlier, knowing all content is not enough to do well)
https://quizlet.com/288547359/physics-information-aqa-on-everything-and-astrophysics-flash-cards/
If you find that useful, then maybe you could save some time writing your own notes and focus on understanding everything and practice applying concepts.
I hope that helps with your revision :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by leogold00
From my experience (finished a level physics a week ago), you really need to practice applying physics in different situations.
You may learn everything from the textbook, but still not see how to approach a question. Very likely many exam questions will look like something you've never done before. So this is when you will need to be able to apply what you've learnt to a very new kind of problem.
I think Isaacphysics is quite a good resource since it has problems that actually require you to think rather than just apply a formula.
Also, https://phet.colorado.edu/ is a good website that has a lot of simulations that helps you visualise what's going on (especially helpful for electricity since there are many misconceptions there).
If you are worried about revision notes and content, I created a quizlet set that has almost all the a level content (it's for AQA but also useful for other exam boards, also be careful not to rely too much on this. As I said earlier, knowing all content is not enough to do well)
https://quizlet.com/288547359/physics-information-aqa-on-everything-and-astrophysics-flash-cards/
If you find that useful, then maybe you could save some time writing your own notes and focus on understanding everything and practice applying concepts.
I hope that helps with your revision :smile:

Thank you that’s very helpful!!!

Quick Reply

Latest