The Student Room Group

Dating outside of your ethnicity?

Is it hard to date outside of your ethnicity? Interracial dating?

Scroll to see replies

pretty easy on my side
I’m mixed so I don’t really care about one’s ethnicity
do they work out, that is the real question?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by eveross00
do they always workout, that is the real question?

thats not even a question, at the end of the day we're all people, doesnt matter what race ethnicity etc, that has nothing to do with whether it will work out or not
Not difficult for me since I don't know anyone who's the same race as me around here. I literally only know one other Chinese person who's my friend and female lol
Will vary from couple to couple and depends on what their respective families are like. I know instances in which people have made it work very successfully, but also appreciate that for many, it's not that easy.

My sister is in an interracial relationship atm and whilst she's not said much about it to me, I think it'll be tough for her to make a life partner out of him tbh. We'll see though :moon:
Original post by richageorge
thats not even a question, at the end of the day we're all people, doesnt matter what race ethnicity etc, that has nothing to do with whether it will work out or not

i am not against mixed relationship, but you can't deny that the relationship will face added problems than a normal relationship (same race) such as cultural clash, parents disagreement, bringing up kids and many others
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Will vary from couple to couple and depends on what their respective families are like. I know instances in which people have made it work very successfully, but also appreciate that for many, it's not that easy.

My sister is in an interracial relationship atm and whilst she's not said much about it to me, I think it'll be tough for her to make a life partner out of him tbh. We'll see though :moon:

Why is she struggling to make a life partner out of him ?
Is it to do with the guy or just culture clash or family attitudes or something else ?
Reply 9
Appreciate the responses, sorry if my question wasn't more clear, I also forgot to mention culture as well, since it tends to be a big part of people's lives.
Original post by bobby147
Why is she struggling to make a life partner out of him ?
Is it to do with the guy or just culture clash or family attitudes or something else ?

A mixture of guy/culture clash/family attitudes (well at least on our side, no idea what his family think about it!) :sadnod:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
A mixture of guy/culture clash/family attitudes (well at least on our side, no idea what his family think about it!) :sadnod:

if you don't mind, what ethnicity are they?
if you don't mind, what ethnicity are they?

He's French, we're Sinhalese :yes:
As long as their culture/ family didn’t reinforce that a woman’s place is in the home or some ****, as a mixed kid I have no problems. Culturally I’m British but I’ve dated an Albanian and I enjoyed learning about his culture 😊 I’d prefer intercultural dating tbh, and interracial dating... what’s even the issue? Who even gives a damn about the colour of your skin that’s so last year, skin colour means absolutely nothing.
i am not against mixed relationship, but you can't deny that the relationship will face added problems than a normal relationship (same race) such as cultural clash, parents disagreement, bringing up kids and many others

You can have all those things within same race couples...
Original post by dartagnankillian
As long as their culture/ family didn’t reinforce that a woman’s place is in the home or some ****, as a mixed kid I have no problems. Culturally I’m British but I’ve dated an Albanian and I enjoyed learning about his culture 😊 I’d prefer intercultural dating tbh, and interracial dating... what’s even the issue? Who even gives a damn about the colour of your skin that’s so last year, skin colour means absolutely nothing.

Personally, believe intercultural and interracial dating are better than mono-racial coupling. It's an opportunity to learn about other cultures. You can mature from such 'different' environments and generally become more open as an individual and partner in a relationship. I'm mixed Nigerian, Japanese and Mexican so I've always dated inside and outside of 'my races' however, I will admit I do prefer dating other mixed people. 😂😊
Original post by Chibiken7
Personally, believe intercultural and interracial dating are better than mono-racial coupling. It's an opportunity to learn about other cultures. You can mature from such 'different' environments and generally become more open as an individual and partner in a relationship. I'm mixed Nigerian, Japanese and Mexican so I've always dated inside and outside of 'my races' however, I will admit I do prefer dating other mixed people. 😂😊

I live in a REALLY white area so the only non-Brits are the odd few Polish, Portuguese or my twin who’s also mixed 😂 can’t wait for uni though where I’ll get more of a chance to learn and experience other cultures 😊 yeah, I prefer them too; they can be so interesting and fulfilling as long as both parties are understanding. And I once saw a half Japanese half Kenyan girl and she was really attractive ngl; it’s cool that you must’ve been brought up with different cultures 😊 Because I’m in a basically 99.9% White area I’ve never had the privilege of dating a mixed person, but I like the idea of it :smile:
Original post by dartagnankillian
I live in a REALLY white area so the only non-Brits are the odd few Polish, Portuguese or my twin who’s also mixed 😂 can’t wait for uni though where I’ll get more of a chance to learn and experience other cultures 😊 yeah, I prefer them too; they can be so interesting and fulfilling as long as both parties are understanding. And I once saw a half Japanese half Kenyan girl and she was really attractive ngl; it’s cool that you must’ve been brought up with different cultures 😊 Because I’m in a basically 99.9% White area I’ve never had the privilege of dating a mixed person, but I like the idea of it :smile:

Ahhh I live in London so I it is kind of diverse (not as much as people say but oh well). Where do you live? Also, I don't think I'd enjoy an environment where it's predominantly white - let alone predominantly anything. Living let alone being in a relationship with people of different cultures and races is very fulfilling and interesting. I'm taking a year out before I go to university but when I'm there I think I'll meet even more diversity. 😂😂😊
Original post by Chibiken7

Tbh the reason why there are so many cool different cultures is because of mono-racial dating. It's all because of isolation. Mixing cultures together would create something exotic but only at first.

If you take a bunch of colours, they look beautiful already and mixing more might make a brand new colour which is equally beautiful, but it doesn't take long before you get one dull 'diverse' colour.
Original post by howtochangename
Tbh the reason why there are so many cool different cultures is because of mono-racial dating. It's all because of isolation. Mixing cultures together would create something exotic but only at first.

If you take a bunch of colours, they look beautiful already and mixing more might make a brand new colour which is equally beautiful, but it doesn't take long before you get one dull 'diverse' colour.

Very true. Sometimes it's hard to acknowledge where we get the good things in life (such as diversity). I imagine it must be quite an experience for those living in areas that are predominantly one race.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending