The Student Room Group

UCL GCSE/A2 entry requirements for Biology

I want to do Biology at UCL I do A levels in Biology Chemistry and Psychology. My teachers have predicted my an A* in Bio, A in Chem and A in the other. My GCSE grades for Maths is C, English language is C and literature is B. Any chance they can accept me ad my GCSE grade is slightly lower but my A2 predicted grades are higher. What do you think? Do any of you guys have any experience on this? (Btw I can't retake so pls don't say to retake).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Should be fine imo
Reply 2
Original post by PeanutJelly12
I want to do Biology at UCL I do A levels in Biology Chemistry and Psychology. My teachers have predicted my an A* in Bio, A in Chem and A in the other. My GCSE grades for Maths is C, English language is C and literature is B. Any chance they can accept me ad my GCSE grade is slightly lower but my A2 predicted grades are higher. What do you think? Do any of you guys have any experience on this? (Btw I can't retake so pls don't say to retake).

I am sorry to say but I just checked the requirements and it says you need a grade B in maths and english so you are likely get a straight rejection,as a couple of my friends did.
You can either apply once you get your a levels or bump up your a level predicted grades, but again if you don't meet the requirements then I don't think there is any point.
Original post by Simmy7_1
I am sorry to say but I just checked the requirements and it says you need a grade B in maths and english so you are likely get a straight rejection,as a couple of my friends did.
You can either apply once you get your a levels or bump up your a level predicted grades, but again if you don't meet the requirements then I don't think there is any point.

Did your friends apply to UCL and were their predicted grades high?
Reply 4
Did your friends apply to UCL and were their predicted grades high?

Yes they did, they had predicted grades of A*AA and above and they applied for psychology, economics,physics, Law Medicine etc...a lot of rejections were handed to people with high predictions, but remeber if the course isn't as competitive it may not be as strict and luck factors into it too.
For the more competitive courses straight rejections are common.
Do email UCL and ask wether they habe or will give someone in your situation a chance as you never really know until you ask.
PS:I am an offer holder for physics at UCL so if you have any questions I have done quite a bit of research 😊
Yes they did, they had predicted grades of A*AA and above and they applied for psychology, economics,physics, Law Medicine etc...a lot of rejections were handed to people with high predictions, but remeber if the course isn't as competitive it may not be as strict and luck factors into it too.
For the more competitive courses straight rejections are common.
Do email UCL and ask wether they habe or will give someone in your situation a chance as you never really know until you ask.
PS:I am an offer holder for physics at UCL so if you have any questions I have done quite a bit of research 😊

Aw yes I do have another question although it may seem quite obvious! :smile: in your opinion and considering that they require a B in maths and a B in English language and I have C, C for GCSEwhat would make an applicant like me most competitive for Biological Sciences at UCL. And do you think they could accept me had I proven to them that I have high predicted grades as well as a true passion to study this?? Thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Aw yes I do have another question although it may seem quite obvious! :smile: in your opinion and considering that they require a B in maths and a B in English language and I have C, C for GCSEwhat would make an applicant like me most competitive for Biological Sciences at UCL. And do you think they could accept me had I proven to them that I have high predicted grades as well as a true passion to study this?? Thanks :smile:

Your GCSE may be a slight dissadvantage at first, but if you have strong AS grades and A2 predicted grades+ and Amazing personal statement there is a possibility that they may interview you as you narrowly miss the requirements and then give you an offer.
They did this for physics on the offer holders day for some, I am not completely sure for Biology, but it is probably similar.
Your GCSE may be a slight dissadvantage at first, but if you have strong AS grades and A2 predicted grades+ and Amazing personal statement there is a possibility that they may interview you as you narrowly miss the requirements and then give you an offer.
They did this for physics on the offer holders day for some, I am not completely sure for Biology, but it is probably similar.

What is an Offers holders day at UCL? I searched it and it said they had one march 2018, so did I miss it for 2019 entry? What happens on an Offers day? Thanks for the answer :smile:
Reply 8
What is an Offers holders day at UCL? I searched it and it said they had one march 2018, so did I miss it for 2019 entry? What happens on an Offers day? Thanks for the answer :smile:

The offer holders day is held for successful applicants, or applicants who narrowly miss the grade requirements, who will be interviewed, I you are applying for 2019 then you haven't missed it as you wouldn't have applied yet.
The offer holder day is designed for you to get to know the campus and more about your course, meet some current students and ask questions.😊

Just out of curiousity are you set on your 5 uni choices and course?
I remeber being in that stage last year and it is so hectic.
(edited 5 years ago)

Just retake English and Maths. It'll be no trouble.
The offer holders day is held for successful applicants, or applicants who narrowly miss the grade requirements, who will be interviewed, I you are applying for 2019 then you haven't missed it as you wouldn't have applied yet.
The offer holder day is designed for you to get to know the campus and more about your course, meet some current students and ask questions.😊

Just out of curiousity are you set on your 5 uni choices and course?
I remeber being in that stage last year and it is so hectic.

I've chosen to do Biology. I want my first choice to be UCL for Biological Sciences. So next year (y13) do I just apply to the course using UCAS and then they would invite me to the offer holder day?? Could you explain the process to me please? Thanks Simmy7
I've chosen to do Biology. I want my first choice to be UCL for Biological Sciences. So next year (y13) do I just apply to the course using UCAS and then they would invite me to the offer holder day?? Could you explain the process to me please? Thanks Simmy7

So you would apply before january if you are not applying to oxbridge, and do so on UCAS.
On there you can put up to 5 uni choices in no particular order as you don't devide your cirm or first choice until you hear back from all your universities.
If you are a strong candidate from your UCAS in UCL's view tjen they may invite you to the offer holders visit day
Or if they feel that due to your GCSEs you narrowly miss the entry requirements they may invite you to the visit day and you get interviewed afterwhich they make a decision.
So you would apply before january if you are not applying to oxbridge, and do so on UCAS.
On there you can put up to 5 uni choices in no particular order as you don't devide your cirm or first choice until you hear back from all your universities.
If you are a strong candidate from your UCAS in UCL's view tjen they may invite you to the offer holders visit day
Or if they feel that due to your GCSEs you narrowly miss the entry requirements they may invite you to the visit day and you get interviewed afterwhich they make a decision.

What are my options? And how do I apply for this UCL offer day?
Do I have to make it clear to them that I narrowly missed the grades in my UCAS application? What do you recommend as I want to study at UCL above all. Thanks for your answer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending