The Student Room Group

A level maths edexcel marking

If I only show some of my working do I still get all the marks if I get the right answer. I only just realised I actually miss out a lot of my working but do the mainly care about the right answer, so if I skip a step and do it in my head they won't care?
the general rule is that if most people could have done the step in their head then you don't need to show working. however, if you do something on a calculator (e.g solve a quadratic) but then don't write your working (e.g not writing out the factorisation or the quadratic formula) then you lose the marks.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Bboy1
If I only show some of my working do I still get all the marks if I get the right answer. I only just realised I actually miss out a lot of my working but do the mainly care about the right answer, so if I skip a step and do it in my head they won't care?

Depends on the questions. Some may say show all of your working in which you’ll have to show all of your working. In others, you usually do have to show your working unless it’s a really simple question.
Original post by Bboy1

Original post by hello2906
the general rule is that if most people could have done the step in their head then you don't need to show working. however, if you do something on a calculator (e.g solve a quadratic) but then don't write your working (e.g not writing out the factorisation or the quadratic formula) then you lose the marks.

Original post by Black Water
Depends on the questions. Some may say show all of your working in which you’ll have to show all of your working. In others, you usually do have to show your working unless it’s a really simple question.

None of you are quite correct. If the question asks you to show or prove something, or says "you must show your working", then you are required to show enough working to provide a convincing argument (in order to show the examiner that you actually understand what you're doing). Otherwise, simply writing down the correct answer will score full marks.
Reply 4
Original post by Prasiortle
None of you are quite correct. If the question asks you to show or prove something, or says "you must show your working", then you are required to show enough working to provide a convincing argument (in order to show the examiner that you actually understand what you're doing). Otherwise, simply writing down the correct answer will score full marks.

I did say if it says show all of your working.
I did say if it says show all of your working.

You also said "In others, you usually do have to show your working unless it’s a really simple question", which is incorrect.
Reply 6
You also said "In others, you usually do have to show your working unless it’s a really simple question", which is incorrect.

If there’s like a 4 mark question which doesn’t say show your working and you just write the answer. Isn’t that wrong?
If there’s like a 4 mark question which doesn’t say show your working and you just write the answer. Isn’t that wrong?

No, it's not wrong; in that scenario, you would get all the marks.
Reply 8
No, it's not wrong; in that scenario, you would get all the marks.

Just for the answer and no working? If so, I’ve done this before and haven’t gotten all of the marks because I’ve been told I haven’t shown my working.
Just for the answer and no working? If so, I’ve done this before and haven’t gotten all of the marks because I’ve been told I haven’t shown my working.

If it's not a "show/prove that" and it doesn't say "show your working", you would get full marks just for the correct answer.
Reply 10
If it's not a "show/prove that" and it doesn't say "show your working", you would get full marks just for the correct answer.

It didn’t say that.
Wait if you don't get the final answer but you knew how to do the question would you still get marks for the method or like error carried forward ?
It didn’t say that.

So then you should have gotten full marks for the correct answer.

Original post by nisha.sri
Wait if you don't get the final answer but you knew how to do the question would you still get marks for the method or like error carried forward ?

Some questions allow error carried forward, and others are marked as "correct answer only", i.e. no error carried forward.

not true, in edexcel it's impossible to score M0A1 (only M1A0), therefore if you don't show the required step of working for the m1 mark, you cannot get the a1 mark.
Original post by hello2906
not true, in edexcel it's impossible to score M0A1 (only M1A0), therefore if you don't show the required step of working for the m1 mark, you cannot get the a1 mark.

what about B1 what does that mean?
Original post by Pakora99
what about B1 what does that mean?

b1 is a standalone mark you get for writing down a correct statement or number, for example a one marker where it asks you to state the range of a function

Quick Reply

Latest