The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

An Open Letter to University of Exeter

If you lift your head out of the sand and get out of the box, you'll realize that the most prestigious Universities in the world has quite an opposite definition of „mature students “as well as admission criteria than yours; just one example is the famous Brown University with its unique open curriculum and their RUE program. If you didn't hear about it, check it here :
https://www.brown.edu/admission/undergraduate/apply/resumed-undergraduate-applicants/eligibility-requirements

Or, Yale's Eli Whitney Students Program, as well as Columbia University with The School of General Studies especially for non -traditional mature students.

And you rejected me just because „I didn't study in the last 3 years", completely ignoring the fact that I'm currently enrolled in an online course „Marine and Antarctic Science”, provided by the University of Tasmania which I specifically emphasized in my previous e-mails to your Admission Office.

Not to mention its' very unlikely that my untraditional education and reading a lot of scientific articles, books, and authors such as Steven Pinker, Richard Dawkins, Frans de Waal, Richard Lippa, Matt Ridley, Daniel Dennett and many more, are less valuable than your school leavers who's education not going very far from the elementary definitions like „Cells are the basic building blocks of all living things“.
However, I can't say I'm disappointed after all because I don't want to study in such an unfriendly environment with ridiculously rigorous and discriminating criteria. I'm going to prove that you were wrong, and in the meantime; I know you like to think of yourself as a “high league” and I hope that you'll become the part of the worlds' top universities mentioned above you should start your journey now. It's a long way to catch them!
Kind regards,

Scroll to see replies

You do realise they are very unlikely to read this?
It would be normal to write to them directly.

A university is allowed to have its own admissions policy. It is quite common for unis to require you to have been involved in formal education recently. That wouldnt just be Exeter..

Were you aware of the policy beforehand? It would seem strange to apply if it was such a big issue for you?

Our decision

We recognise that mature students may offer different qualifications and experience, which will be taken into account when we assess your application, it is important that you have adequate experience and/or qualifications to allow you to cope with academic demands of your course. It is normally recommended that you should have undertaken some recognised systematic course of study (eg, Access, Open University credits, or GCE A levels) within the last three years.

Where an applicant has not undertaken any recognised form of systematic study within the last three years, the application may be referred to the Admissions Tutor for consideration. We advise that full details of any relevant work experience or other relevant information is provided within the application. We may also ask applicants who fall into this category to attend an interview to ensure that they are suitable for entry into a particular programme of study.

If you have any queries concerning entrance requirements, please contact the Admissions Office who will be happy to advise accordingly. Official notification of our decision will be made through UCAS.
(edited 5 years ago)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
It seems you don't know much about the entry requirements policy for the mature students at the universities around the world, especially the best ones. And no, it's not "quite common" to require formal education recently - you would realize that if you read my previous post carefully.
Original post by Galjinocka
It seems you don't know much about the entry requirements policy for the mature students at the universities around the world, especially the best ones. And no, it's not "quite common" to require formal education recently - you would realize that if you read my previous post carefully.

you weren't good enough to make the cut, get over it and move on. As 999tigger said, they are unlikely to see this and even if they did they'd probably laugh it off.
Reply 4
If you lift your head out of the sand and get out of the box, you'll realize that the most prestigious Universities in the world has quite an opposite definition of „mature students “as well as admission criteria than yours; just one example is the famous Brown University with its unique open curriculum and their RUE program. If you didn't hear about it, check it here :
https://www.brown.edu/admission/undergraduate/apply/resumed-undergraduate-applicants/eligibility-requirements

Or, Yale's Eli Whitney Students Program, as well as Columbia University with The School of General Studies especially for non -traditional mature students.

And you rejected me just because „I didn't study in the last 3 years", completely ignoring the fact that I'm currently enrolled in an online course „Marine and Antarctic Science”, provided by the University of Tasmania which I specifically emphasized in my previous e-mails to your Admission Office.

Not to mention its' very unlikely that my untraditional education and reading a lot of scientific articles, books, and authors such as Steven Pinker, Richard Dawkins, Frans de Waal, Richard Lippa, Matt Ridley, Daniel Dennett and many more, are less valuable than your school leavers who's education not going very far from the elementary definitions like „Cells are the basic building blocks of all living things“.
However, I can't say I'm disappointed after all because I don't want to study in such an unfriendly environment with ridiculously rigorous and discriminating criteria. I'm going to prove that you were wrong, and in the meantime; I know you like to think of yourself as a “high league” and I hope that you'll become the part of the worlds' top universities mentioned above you should start your journey now. It's a long way to catch them!
Kind regards,

Do you have offers from Brown, Yale and Columbia?
:beard:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes, some uni's are ******s and some are not. It's funny that UEA discriminated, and Durham did not, cannot say I care anymore though, UEA is a POS in comparison.
Original post by student_2018
you weren't good enough to make the cut, get over it and move on. As 999tigger said, they are unlikely to see this and even if they did they'd probably laugh it off.

It 's not the question here am I good enough or not, the problem is the discriminatory policy of the Exeter and all other universities with the same requirements.

It's the same as I don't want to hire you because you finished your BA 5 years ago and not 3. Where do you see the logic here?

And the problem is definition itself because „mature student“ is not just 21 old, but 32 and 45…

And please don't patronize me. I know very well why I opened this thread. Ok? 😊

Original post by Doonesbury
Do you have offers from Brown, Yale and Columbia?
:beard:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They have no offers. After you apply for the US university, you are waiting for a decision, and you are admitted or not. I didn't apply because I was stupid thinking it would be better to apply to Exeter.
Reply 7
They have no offers. After you apply for the US university, you are waiting for a decision, and you are admitted or not. I didn't apply because I was stupid thinking it would be better to apply to Exeter.

You knew exactly what I meant...

Why is Exeter better than Yale/Brown/Columbia?

And do you know what the enrollment rates are for Ivies? There's absolutely no guarantee you'd get a place just by meeting their requirements. So, you figured you stood a better chance at Exeter... you were wrong.

By the way, out of 12,000+ undergrads at Yale just 18 students are over the age of 30...
https://www.collegetuitioncompare.com/edu/130794/yale-university/enrollment/

At Brown it's 20 out of 9,500
https://www.collegetuitioncompare.com/edu/217156/brown-university/enrollment/
(edited 5 years ago)
Why is Exeter better than Yale/Brown/Columbia? It's obviously not, that is the point. Btw, do you know how many students at age 65 are studying at Exeter? Let me guess - probably none!
How many students of age 30 - 50 studying at Exeter? 10 or 20?
Comparing to Brown, Exeter's politics for mature students is nothing but hard discrimination.
Reply 9
Why is Exeter better than Yale/Brown/Columbia? It's obviously not, that is the point. Btw, do you know how many students at age 65 are studying at Exeter? Let me guess - probably none!
How many students of age 30 - 50 studying at Exeter? 10 or 20?
Comparing to Brown, Exeter's politics for mature students is nothing but hard discrimination.

11% of Exeter undergrads are mature. 76% of them achieve a 2:1+.

Source: OFFA agreement
https://www.offa.org.uk/agreements/University%20of%20Exeter%201718.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
11% of Exeter undergrads are mature. 76% of them achieve a 2:1+.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah right... and the oldest is 25
Reply 11
Yeah right... and the oldest is 25

Well there's at least one over 30:
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/life/maturestudents/
"I’m studying Sport and Health Sciences. I’m 31, so a mature student. I’m a mum and I have a disability. I previously had a successful career but when I became seriously ill and disabled almost five years ago, I was medically retired. I have had to learn to walk, talk and move again and am learning on my course the massive benefits of exercise interventions for health and would love to work within this area.
All the staff on my course are supportive and accommodating with my disabilities, and work with me to help me juggle full-time study and parenthood. I also receive weekly one-to-one sessions from both the wellbeing and study skills departments who have also been fantastic. I am really enjoying my time at Exeter as a student considerably older than most. I hope to represent mature students as a student ambassador for the University, and I hope to go on to study for a Masters too."
Reply 12
I'm currently enrolled in an online course „Marine and Antarctic Science”, provided by the University of Tasmania

Is this their free course? It doesn't carry any formal academic credits.

"If you pass this course you'll receive a Certificate of Achievement. While this certificate isn't a formal qualification or credit, you can use it to demonstrate your interest in learning about this area to potential employers or educational institutions."
(edited 5 years ago)
Well there's at least one over 30:
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/life/maturestudents/
"I’m studying Sport and Health Sciences. I’m 31, so a mature student. I’m a mum and I have a disability. I previously had a successful career but when I became seriously ill and disabled almost five years ago, I was medically retired. I have had to learn to walk, talk and move again and am learning on my course the massive benefits of exercise interventions for health and would love to work within this area.
All the staff on my course are supportive and accommodating with my disabilities, and work with me to help me juggle full-time study and parenthood. I also receive weekly one-to-one sessions from both the wellbeing and study skills departments who have also been fantastic. I am really enjoying my time at Exeter as a student considerably older than most. I hope to represent mature students as a student ambassador for the University, and I hope to go on to study for a Masters too."

One? ONE???? OMG, that's fantastic! This UNI is really open-minded, cherishing diversity and giving the same chance to all no matter how old they are. Hahahha! Blah.🤢
Thank you, you pointed out the problem very well!
Reply 14
One? ONE???? OMG, that's fantastic! This UNI is really open-minded, cherishing diversity and giving the same chance to all no matter how old they are. Hahahha! Blah.🤢
Thank you, you pointed out the problem very well!

I said "at least one"... there may be 100. You said there weren't any over 25, and that is clearly wrong.
I said "at least one"... there may be 100. You said there weren't any over 25, and that is clearly wrong.

Hm ok, let's be transparent here. Maybe, just maybe it's not just one. Two or three.. or even five?
What are you - Exeter's official advocate? Be more careful, statistics is a cruel discipline especially if numbers are not on your side.
Reply 16
Hm ok, let's be transparent here. Maybe, just maybe it's not just one. Two or three.. or even five?
What are you - Exeter's official advocate? Be more careful, statistics is a cruel discipline especially if numbers are not on your side.

Nope. But you are advocating an admissions process that has resulted in eighteen age 30 admittances at Yale or 20 at Brown with no evidence that Exeter has fewer such students.

The onus is on you to support your assertions with evidence.

By the way, I'm a parent not a student. And have zero direct connection with this university.
(edited 5 years ago)
Is this their free course? It doesn't carry any formal academic credits.

"If you pass this course you'll receive a Certificate of Achievement. While this certificate isn't a formal qualification or credit, you can use it to demonstrate your interest in learning about this area to potential employers or educational institutions."

So what? Do you think that I'm the ignorant only because my "formal academic credits" are older than 3 years? Nice try.Goodbye.
Nope. But you are advocating an admissions process that has resulted in eighteen age 30 admittances at Yale or 20 at Brown with no evidence that Exeter has fewer such students.

The onus is on you to support your assertions with evidence.

By the way, I'm a parent not a student. And have zero direct connection with this university.

Admission policy of Exeter for mature students is extremely discriminatory. And you can spend two more days and nights trying to find more than "one mature student at age 31" but you won't succeed. Sorry.
Reply 19
So what? Do you think that I'm the ignorant only because my "formal academic credits" are older than 3 years? Nice try.Goodbye.

It's not uncommon for a university (not just Exeter) to require formal evidence of recent academic study. A free online course wouldn't normally be suitable evidence.

But not all do, including the Open University. There are many routes to higher education. Good luck in your future studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending