The Student Room Group

Parents won’t let me go to the uni I want :(((

So alas I live in London and don’t want to go to uni here. Instead I want to go to uni in Scotland. However my parents want me to stay in London and apply to a uni here. I don’t want to end up doing a degree I hate just to please them. I know that I’ll be an adult when applying and I can do whatever (I’m 16 and am starting sixth form this September 2018). But I want to know what I can actually do when applying and what not? I want to go to the uni of Dundee to do forensic anthropology. Unfortunately I am yet to find a university I’d like to go to in London that offers the same course. I believe King’s offers forensic science but only as postgrad. Most well actually all of the unis I’ve been looking at have been out of London; Nottingham Trent, Huddersfield, etc. My parents aren’t the type to be easily persuaded, in fact they’re not the type to be persuaded at all. I don’t have the support of either parent and I feel like this is just going to make applying to uni just 100x harder. I won’t be allowed to go to any open days either. I’m in quite the dilemma and just need some advice on how applying to uni will be as I’m pretty sure I’d be putting myself through uni with no financial support from my parents.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

what are they gonna do

frog march you into london university?

lol
Are your parents providing money to you or something similar?
Reply 3
Original post by whatsprogressive
Are your parents providing money to you or something similar?

No I don’t get an allowance or anything but have been applying for some jobs as of late.
Original post by Lubz_04
No I don’t get an allowance or anything but have been applying for some jobs as of late.

If you're on third party finances then just leg it and take the "you are being harmful and controlling" approach. They shouldn't do much as long as you don't flunk your uni education. (I have Hindu Indian parents, though obviously stereotyping is wrong and can lead to misidentifications).
(edited 5 years ago)
If you're on third party finances then just leg it and take the "you are being harmful and controlling" approach. They shouldn't do much as long as you don't flunk your uni education. (I have Hindu Indian parents).

What is third party finances?
Original post by melliottme
What is third party finances?

A uni loan or some other form of funding. i.e. the money isn't being provided by your parents or anything related to your parents.
A uni loan or some other form of funding. i.e. the money isn't being provided by your parents or anything related to your parents.

Thats hard as if it depends on parents you need to be estranged for a year or two or wait until I think 25 years old for mature status.
Original post by Lubz_04
So alas I live in London and don’t want to go to uni here. Instead I want to go to uni in Scotland. However my parents want me to stay in London and apply to a uni here. I don’t want to end up doing a degree I hate just to please them. I know that I’ll be an adult when applying and I can do whatever (I’m 16 and am starting sixth form this September 2018). But I want to know what I can actually do when applying and what not? I want to go to the uni of Dundee to do forensic anthropology. Unfortunately I am yet to find a university I’d like to go to in London that offers the same course. I believe King’s offers forensic science but only as postgrad. Most well actually all of the unis I’ve been looking at have been out of London; Nottingham Trent, Huddersfield, etc. My parents aren’t the type to be easily persuaded, in fact they’re not the type to be persuaded at all. I don’t have the support of either parent and I feel like this is just going to make applying to uni just 100x harder. I won’t be allowed to go to any open days either. I’m in quite the dilemma and just need some advice on how applying to uni will be as I’m pretty sure I’d be putting myself through uni with no financial support from my parents.

If you decide to ignore them, such as going to open days on your own and actually applying to the course outside London, how do you think they will react? As they cannot controll where you apply directly, but you could face other negative consequences of your parents are really controlling and ignorant. If you are still worried in a few weeks maybe you should talk to a trusted teacher or a close friend about it? Also i think it’s really important to go where you want to go as you don’t want to be unhappy for years afterwards.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Lubz_04

I'm from London and my parents were livid when they found out I'd firmed St Andrews in Scotland instead of Durham. now they're more obsessed with my alma mater than i ever was and think it was the most wonderful decision to go.
Reply 10
Original post by Robsmith00
If you decide to ignore them, such as going to open days on your own and actually applying to the course outside London, how do you think they will react? As they cannot controll where you apply directly, but you could face other negative consequences of your parents are really controlling and ignorant. If you are still worried in a few weeks maybe you should talk to a trusted teacher or a close friend about it? Also i think it’s really important to go where you want to go as you don’t want to be unhappy for years afterwards.

There’s no way I could go to open days as I’m already not allowed to leave the house at all unless it’s for school. I am currently on my summer holiday as I finished GCSEs this Thursday. I will try to talk to a teacher once I start sixth form though. If I was to just go off to an open day and i returned home later that day I’d have to face really harsh consequences. I don’t really want to make everything even harder for myself I guess
Reply 11
If you're on third party finances then just leg it and take the "you are being harmful and controlling" approach. They shouldn't do much as long as you don't flunk your uni education. (I have Hindu Indian parents, though obviously stereotyping is wrong and can lead to misidentifications).

Well keep in mind I’d have to give my parent’s annual income when applying for loans so
Original post by Lubz_04
Well keep in mind I’d have to give my parent’s annual income when applying for loans so

I actually meant whether your parents were paying for uni. If they aren't then just leg it. They fundamentally care about your future or should be labelled as being harmful - so just don't flunk uni.
Reply 13
Original post by CollectiveSoul
I'm from London and my parents were livid when they found out I'd firmed St Andrews in Scotland instead of Durham. now they're more obsessed with my alma mater than i ever was and think it was the most wonderful decision to go.

I know my parents would never be supportive unfortunately :frown: though I am glad that you got to go to the uni you wanted!
Reply 14
I actually meant whether your parents were paying for uni. If they aren't then just leg it. They fundamentally care about your future or should be labelled as being harmful - so just don't flunk uni.

Well if you read my post I said I would NOT receive any financial support from parents hence I would be putting myself through uni
Original post by Lubz_04
There’s no way I could go to open days as I’m already not allowed to leave the house at all unless it’s for school. I am currently on my summer holiday as I finished GCSEs this Thursday. I will try to talk to a teacher once I start sixth form though. If I was to just go off to an open day and i returned home later that day I’d have to face really harsh consequences. I don’t really want to make everything even harder for myself I guess

You’ve got a year till you apply at least, so that gives you time. There isn’t really an excuse for this kind of pressure and restrictions that your parents are putting on you. You shouldn’t have to feel a threat of consequences for just going to the university you really want to go to. Definitely talk to a trusted teacher and maybe over the the next few moths try to understand better why your parents want you to live in London so much. It may be because they aren’t just really worried about you leaving for Scotland and their affection is just backfiring really badly.
Original post by Lubz_04
Well if you read my post I said I would NOT receive any financial support from parents hence I would be putting myself through uni

Your post doesn't actually say whether there's a possibility that your parents would fund you if you went to their university choice.

In a situation where they would fund you if you took their choice, weigh up how controlling they are and whether you would be better off being independent.

If you qualify for third party funding and have no need for your parents, then go it alone and leg it to Scotland. You just need to prove that you won't do badly at uni and they'll eventually forgive/forget.
Parents like that deserve to drink bleach.

Unless you require their financial assistance, they obviously can’t stop you.
Reply 18
Original post by Thomazo
Parents like that deserve to drink bleach.

Unless you require their financial assistance, they obviously can’t stop you.

Me too (:

Obviously I will try to apply for a scholarship and what not. But I would like know if there is a process for applying for financial support without including my parents
Reply 19
Your post doesn't actually say whether there's a possibility that your parents would fund you if you went to their university choice.

In a situation where they would fund you if you took their choice, weigh up how controlling they are and whether you would be better off being independent.

If you qualify for third party funding and have no need for your parents, then go it alone and leg it to Scotland. You just need to prove that you won't do badly at uni and they'll eventually forgive/forget.

I personally obviously don’t want to go to a uni or their choice hence that option is automatically ruled out for me. I want to know how I would qualify for said third party funding?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending