The Student Room Group

AAA and Medicine?

Unfortunately my school won't budge. They refuse to give me A* in just 1 of the subjects even though I know personally I'm capable of it, and that Ive been getting the best grades possible throughout my year, even with doing more than 4 AS grades (dropping most to a 3), however they are fixing my entire prediction based of just 1 exam (My final end of year) which is a bummer.

However I want to do medicine, and I heard u need A*AA to do it atleast.

I mean I've got all the work experiences and things to write down (care home, NHS, read some books, went to some conferences, some articles, etc), but i feel like this grade will bring me down.

I'm thinking of unis like Manchester, Nottingham, Newcastle, St. Andrews, etc. (Not oxford or the high level imperial and ****)

Can i still get in? Thx.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nottingham says AAA on the course page. Your predicted grades might still change later this year.
Original post by Sinnoh
Nottingham says AAA on the course page. Your predicted grades might still change later this year.

That's what I thought. A lot said "you can convince them and etc" but I spoke to my head of year, and she is literally REFUSING to budge. She said she won't change it and that it's final. I've spoken to some years above and they've said no one has had it changed.
Yes, of course you can still get in! Your school sound like pricks. Google the med schools pdf, and look at the requirements for each uni, i wouldnt recommend applying to the unis with a*aa requirements. Make sure you do ok or well in the ukcat and/or bmat, and apply strategically, and you should be fine.
Original post by Volibear
Have you looked at the entry requirements for these medical schools? They tell you if they want A*AA or AAA.

All the ones I've mentioned said AAA, but apparently most who apply there said they have A*AA
I'm worrying about this too. I know none of my teachers will predict me A*, even if I get an A on the end of year. But tbh, I'm more than happy with AAA. I'm just worried I won't get in with it.
Is it just that your school won’t give anyone an A* or you specifically? Quite a lot of schools don’t predict A* as a policy, and I’ve been to uni talks that say that it won’t affect your prospects of getting in, provided the school say you have the ability in your reference
Original post by RickHendricks
Unfortunately my school won't budge. They refuse to give me A* in just 1 of the subjects even though I know personally I'm capable of it, and that Ive been getting the best grades possible throughout my year, even with doing more than 4 AS grades (dropping most to a 3), however they are fixing my entire prediction based of just 1 exam (My final end of year) which is a bummer.

I mean I've got all the work experiences and things to write down (care home, NHS, read some books, went to some conferences, some articles, etc), but i feel like this grade will bring me down.

I'm thinking of unis like Manchester, Nottingham, Newcastle, St. Andrews, etc. (Not oxford or the high level imperial and ****)

Can i still get in? Thx.

Funny story

I applied with 4A* predictions at one university (Imperial) and another person I know applied with AAA. They ended up getting an offer and I didn't lol.

All you need is AAA, usually applicants have better, but that doesn't mean the school is going to pick them over you.

80% of medical schools only require AAA.
Original post by tomcowell99
Is it just that your school won’t give anyone an A* or you specifically? Quite a lot of schools don’t predict A* as a policy, and I’ve been to uni talks that say that it won’t affect your prospects of getting in, provided the school say you have the ability in your reference

They will but very strict.

Like they only gave A* predictions to 6 people last year.

Funny thing is, before that year, 4 people were given A* prediction in chemistry, and only 2 of them got A*, but like 7 more who got predicted A got A* (and some even got A* when predicted B)
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Funny story

I applied with 4A* predictions at one university (Imperial) and another person I know applied with AAA. They ended up getting an offer and I didn't lol.

All you need is AAA, usually applicants have better, but that doesn't mean the school is going to pick them over you.

80% of medical schools only require AAA.

Thank i'll try and apply and see how it goes. I've got plans on sweating out the UKCAT and BMAT as well.
They will but very strict.

Like they only gave A* predictions to 6 people last year.

Funny thing is, before that year, 4 people were given A* prediction in chemistry, and only 2 of them got A*, but like 7 more who got predicted A got A* (and some even got A* when predicted B)

Maybe you could try to get them to say you have the potential in your reference?
Thank i'll try and apply and see how it goes. I've got plans on sweating out the UKCAT and BMAT as well.

Yeah, be careful with Imperial though - they'll consider AAA, but offers will be A*AA, with A* in Bio or Chem.

UCL, Oxbridge won't consider anyone with less than A*AA. Leeds and Lancaster are the other two BMAT unis that will consider AAA last time I checked.
Reply 12
Having predictions that exceed a med school's minimum requirements (whether it be AAA or A*AA) usually doesn't benefit applicants for most med schools. Some take them into account like Exeter but a lot don't care as long as you meet their minimum so I wouldn't worry
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Yeah, be careful with Imperial though - they'll consider AAA, but offers will be A*AA, with A* in Bio or Chem.

UCL, Oxbridge won't consider anyone with less than A*AA. Leeds and Lancaster are the other two BMAT unis that will consider AAA last time I checked.

Yeah not an issue. I'm not applying there at all :P

The ones I've got in my mind are: Liverpool, St. Andrews, Newcastle, Southampton, and maybe Dundee and Lancaster.
Reply 14

Can i still get in? Thx.

Even if people have better predicted grades than you, it doesn't mean they have a better chance. Remember that your application is also made up of your UKCAT score as well as your personal statement, and if these two are really good then you have a very good chance of getting in.

Can i still get in? Thx.

At least you get As. Teachers here are giving me BBB.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
At least you get As. Teachers here are giving me BBB.

Ah I hope it goes well for you :frown:

What course?
Ah I hope it goes well for you :frown:

What course?

English or Psychology.

Quick Reply

Latest