The Student Room Group

STEP 2018 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
If you get the right answer but the wrong method in a STEP question but the wrong method, and it isn't a 'show that' question, do you get all the marks?
For the last part of q1 I thought that the range of Beta values was unchanged, and so Beta is less than or equal to one, so g(Beta) max is 3, which is the right result but wrong method.
Original post by mas252
If you get the right answer but the wrong method in a STEP question but the wrong method, and it isn't a 'show that' question, do you get all the marks?
For the last part of q1 I thought that the range of Beta values was unchanged, and so Beta is less than or equal to one, so g(Beta) max is 3, which is the right result but wrong method.

Unfortunately you wont really be getting any of the marks, if you look at markschemes they do have M marks and A marks, and you cant get A marks unless the method is there
Original post by Integer123
Paper 2, Question 12

Spoiler

It seems to me you made somewhat heavy weather over the maximization here (by not using the fact that h is an integer):

Spoiler

Original post by DFranklin
It seems to me you made somewhat heavy weather over the maximization here (by not using the fact that h is an integer):

Spoiler

Would solving the inequality (h+1)ph+1hph(h+1)p^{h+1} \geq hp^h giving hNh \leq N and then stating the maximum must occur at h=N be fine?
If anyone wants a tenner just scan the STEP III paper and PM me it to me. I really wanna have a go '-'
Reply 225
Original post by A02
Does this mean that those who didn't sit the paper won't have access to it for several months?

Yes.

Original post by JudeH2001
How bad is it that I think STEP I was bad if I am year 12 (I'm actually year 13 in northern Ireland but our year 13 is equivalent to the English year 12). I was scoring 1 or S in most of my past papers but I doubt I got higher than a 2 in this paper. Will this reflect badly on an application to Oxford considering I had not learned the entire maths A level course so parts were self taught?

The fact that you sat it early and didn't learnt all the relevant material is squarely on you, universities won't care - if you sat the exam, they (or at least Cambridge) presume that you were ready for it and treat you as such. I don't know how Oxford works, but it would certainly detract from a Cambridge application.
Original post by Sequin Rugby
If anyone wants a tenner just scan the STEP III paper and PM me it to me. I really wanna have a go '-'

Better off paying to go lose ur virginity mate
Reply 227
Original post by I hate maths
Yeah I'm in year 13 with an offer. I did all right in step 2, I'll just mention the bits of the questions I didn't do. Of the six questions I did, I didn't do the last part of q4 (think I might have got a quadratic which I didn't solve), didn't explain my sketch in q2 stem (did have a sketch though, rest of q was ok), didn't do n=6 for q6, didn't find sufficient conditions in q1 (though I had working towards it I think?). Q5 and q8 should hopefully be around 20.

Step 3... I don't think I had a single full to be honest. Had decent jabs at q1, q4, q5, did some stem stuff and part i integral for q8 and had a little bit of working for the latter "deduce" bit of stem, awful partials on q2 and q3 even though I thought these questions would be all right. Wish I did q7 instead of one of these, I felt lured lol.

Basically I don't think I'm getting in, but hey nought I can do about that now.

Post 184 by Integer has a solution to q8.

I also have a very small hope that I got an S in step 2, if the holes I had are small enough and people found it hard enough so hope and pray for me as well! But at this point, I've resigned myself to my impending doom on results day.

I was identical to this two years ago (although worried about STEP II and hopeful for an S in III), spent ages looking at stats and hoping for a 2,S and hoping I'd get taken in anyway. It all worked out fine and I got a 1,1. My STEP II grade was about 20 marks higher than I expected; I don't think I had a proper full solution in that as well. Basically, I think you're in a weakly isomorphic position to me, would be very surprised to hear you didn't get in.
Original post by Zacken
I was identical to this two years ago (although worried about STEP II and hopeful for an S in III), spent ages looking at stats and hoping for a 2,S and hoping I'd get taken in anyway. It all worked out fine and I got a 1,1. My STEP II grade was about 20 marks higher than I expected; I don't think I had a proper full solution in that as well. Basically, I think you're in a weakly isomorphic position to me, would be very surprised to hear you didn't get in.

You're far too kind - but I very much appreciate your thoughtful post.
Reply 229
You're far too kind - but I very much appreciate your thoughtful post.

I had plenty of people telling me, back then, that I'd underestimated myself and it'd all work out. Was kind of annoying at the time because I thought I knew how I did, I'm sure you're feeling something similar. Just try to enjoy your summer and you can buy me a drink when you come to Cambridge in October. :tongue:
Original post by carpetguy

STEP III 2018 Q4

The question went something like:

P(asecθ,btanθ)P(a\sec\theta,b\tan\theta) is a general point on the hyperbola x2a2y2b2=1\frac{x^2}{a^2} - \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1.

Firstly, show that the equation of the tangent to the hyperbola at P is bxaysinθ=abcosθbx - ay\sin\theta = ab\cos\theta.

Next, find the two coordinates (and/or their midpoint) where this tangent meets the lines xa=±yb\frac{x}{a} = \pm\frac{y}{b}.

Then, the tangents to the hyperbola at PP and Q(asecϕ,btanϕ)Q(a\sec\phi,b\tan\phi) are perpendicular. Find xx and yy as the coordinates of the intersection of these tangents in terms of a,θ,ϕa,\,\theta,\,\phi only.
Lastly, show that x2+y2=a2b2x^2 + y^2 = a^2 - b^2.

I'll start assuming the first result was reached and the midpoint of the two meeting points was shown to be at PP.
So we have the equation of the tangent to the hyperbola at PP is bxaysinθ=abcosθbx - ay\sin\theta = ab\cos\theta and by similarities we reach the tangent at QQ being bxaysinϕ=abcosϕbx - ay\sin\phi = ab\cos\phi.

From the perpendicular requirement, basinθ×basinϕ=1\frac{b}{a\sin\theta} \times \frac{b}{a\sin\phi} = -1
b2=a2sinθsinϕ\therefore b^2 = -a^2\sin\theta\sin\phi

Subtracting the two tangent equations from each other and rearranging:
y=b(cosϕcosθ)sinθsinϕ=a2sinθsinϕ(cosϕcosθ)sinθsinϕ[br]y = \frac{b\,(\cos\phi \,-\, \cos\theta)}{\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi} = \frac{\sqrt{-a^2\sin\theta\sin\phi}\,(\cos \phi \,-\, \cos\theta)}{\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi}[br]

Multiplying the tangent equation for PP by sinϕ\sin\phi and the tangent equation for QQ by sinθ\sin\theta, subtracting the two new equations and rearranging:
x=a(cosϕsinθcosθsinϕ)sinθsinϕx = \frac{a\,(\cos\phi\sin\theta \,-\, \cos\theta\sin\phi)}{\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi}

x2+y2=a2(sinθsinϕ)2{(cosϕsinθcosθsinϕ)2sinθsinϕ(cosϕcosθ)2}\therefore x^2 + y^2 = \frac{a^2}{(\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi)^2}\,\{(\cos\phi \sin \theta \,-\, \cos\theta\sin\phi)^2 \,- \, \sin\theta\sin\phi\,(\cos\phi \,-\, \cos\theta)^2 \}

Now yeah that does look ugly, but you can see that the 2cosϕcosθsinϕsinθ-2\cos\phi\cos\theta\sin\phi\sin \theta term is generated from both squares and is cancelled out - so inside the big bracket you're left with:
cos2ϕsin2θ+cos2θsin2ϕsinθsinϕcos2ϕsinθsinϕcos2θ\cos^2\phi\sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta\sin^2\phi - \sin\theta\sin\phi\cos^2\phi - \sin\theta\sin\phi\cos^2\theta

Note that this can be factorised to:
(sinθsinϕ)(cos2ϕsinθcos2θsinϕ)(\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi)(\cos^2\phi\sin\theta \,-\, \cos^2\theta\sin\phi)

and so x2+y2=a2(sinθsinϕ)(cos2ϕsinθcos2θsinϕ)x^2 + y^2 = \frac{a^2}{(\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi)}\,(\cos^2\phi\sin \theta \,-\, \cos^2\theta\sin\phi)

Apply trig Pythagoras' and this becomes a2(sinθsinϕ)(sinθsinϕ+sin2θsinϕsin2ϕsinθ)\frac{a^2}{(\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi)}\,(\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi \,+\, \sin^2\theta\sin \phi \,-\, \sin^2\phi\sin \theta)

x2+y2=a2(sinθsinϕ)(sinθsinϕ)(1+sinθsinϕ)\therefore x^2 + y^2 = \frac{a^2}{(\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi)}\,(\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi)(1 + \sin\theta\sin\phi)

=a2+a2sinθsinϕ=a2b2= a^2 + a^2\sin\theta\sin\phi = a^2 - b^2

Phew! You could probably introduce some shorthand or something if you wanted to save on the writing but that's pretty much a slog.
(edited 5 years ago)
how many marks would i get for Q8 STEP III for doing everything apart from the last integral (integral from 0 to 1 of fractional part of 2x^-1, all over x^2+1)?
Original post by mas252

I don't think you'll get marks for the last part, because it is based on incorrect maths.
Original post by memequeen69
how many marks would i get for Q8 STEP III for doing everything apart from the last integral (integral from 0 to 1 of fractional part of 2x^-1, all over x^2+1)?

Depends, I think there are 4 or so marks on it.
Step II Q11

Let the (forward) friction and normal reaction at the rear wheel have magnitudes FF and NN respectively. Let the normal reaction at the front wheel be RR, and the forward acceleration of the bike be aa.

(i) Resolving vertically: N+R=mgN+R=mg

(ii) Resolving horizontally: F=maF=ma

(iii) Moments about the centre of mass: Fh+RdN(bd)=0Fh+Rd-N(b-d)=0

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 235
STEP II, all in one file...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 236
Is it necessary to do a bit of maths during the summer before uni starts? If so, what kind of material would that be?
Reply 237
Original post by mas252
Is it necessary to do a bit of maths during the summer before uni starts?

No.
STEP I Q7(i)

"Invert, always invert."

x=pz+qz+1z=xqxpx=\dfrac{pz+q}{z+1}\Rightarrow z=-\dfrac{x-q}{x-p}. This suggests the following line of attack.

Spoiler

Is anyone ever going to upload this paper? lol :sleep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending