The Student Room Group

Thousands March in London demanding final Brexit deal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44586638

Campaigners have marched through central London to demand a final vote on any UK exit deal. Thousands of people joined the march to Parliament, on the second anniversary of the UK voting to leave the EU.

The organisers, People's Vote, say Brexit is "not a done deal" and people must "make their voices heard". It comes as senior Cabinet ministers, including Liam Fox and David Davis, insist the UK is prepared to walk away from talks without an agreement.

The protest is part of a "summer of action" by campaign groups designed to increase pressure on Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn.

Also in London, hundreds of people are attending a counter-protest, the UK Unity and Freedom march, where demonstrators are chanting "we want our country back" and "what do we want? Brexit. When do we want it? Now."

Scroll to see replies

inb4 "Xenophobic, racist, ignorant" etc words on this thread
What a mess it all is. They have a point, but you would then have to ignore the referendum, which is not on.
Fact is we voted to leave, but what leave meant in terms of the details was unknown.
I will be fla when it is all over and we get to see whether it was a good move or a very bad one for the economy.
Reply 3
what good does voting do if people don't know what they're voting for? just saying people are as ignorant on the issues as they were two years ago.
Reply 4
I'd quite like this sort of thing to be applied to football matches. If my side doesn't win, just start the match again.

Seems fair.
Original post by Neilos
I'd quite like this sort of thing to be applied to football matches. If my side doesn't win, just start the match again.

Seems fair.

Tbh, that scenario doesn't make sense because the opinion of the public can change over time, (few months) doubt the quality of team does in 90 minutes.

But regardless, I think what they're asking is a vote for the deal at hand and not to leave Brexit. As long as the vote isn't used as a purposeful, indefinite delay of Brexit, I don't have a problem with it.
I'm generally supportive of freedom-of-movement among developed countries, while developing countries should be slowly integrated to avoid a situation where mass immigration overloads the developed world, but I have some issues with the demographics of Europe eventhough I am aware that the UK is already quite bad and that it will get far worse.
Reply 7
Original post by Atlas_Shrugged
In 2016 the British made it clear that we will take back our soerignity from the tyrannical EU.

1] Whilst leave won by a nose the fact remains more people did not vote to leave than did.
2] Do you actually know what "tyrannical" means?

What do these idiots think marching against the democratic decision of the British will achieve?

It's called using their democratic right to protest. Something you should be all for but for some reason don't approve of, how bizarre :rolleyes:

Waste of police resources, waste of council resources. Not that that will bother these people, most of them look like they've never worked or payed taxes in their lives.

It speaks volumes about your argument and you as a person that the best you can come up with is a personal attack on those people, quite quaint really.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Remoaners like always, why can't the police just look these idiots up and put them in jail for a few months? I know it's freedom of speech and to protest and all that but this is getting really annoying, we are leaving end of. Don't like it? You are free to leave the UK anytime with good retirement money as well
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44586638

Campaigners have marched through central London to demand a final vote on any UK exit deal. Thousands of people joined the march to Parliament, on the second anniversary of the UK voting to leave the EU.

The organisers, People's Vote, say Brexit is "not a done deal" and people must "make their voices heard". It comes as senior Cabinet ministers, including Liam Fox and David Davis, insist the UK is prepared to walk away from talks without an agreement.

The protest is part of a "summer of action" by campaign groups designed to increase pressure on Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn.

Also in London, hundreds of people are attending a counter-protest, the UK Unity and Freedom march, where demonstrators are chanting "we want our country back" and "what do we want? Brexit. When do we want it? Now."

It was a great march, absolutely huge turnout and masses of happy people peacefully but loudly demanding what we all now really need - a second referendum and a right to decide on any final Brexit deal if that is to be forced on us by a small group of extremist ideological Tories.

It was great to be part of such a powerful surge and it can only move forwards now. As the Brexiteers look more and more indifferent to the welfare of the country and our economy, the only alternative is another vote.
There is almost no price that is not worth paying to be free of the EU.

I would reckon a great many people on that march are not so much in favour of the EU but have some vague idea that they are “against racism”.
Original post by Trinculo

I would reckon a great many people on that march are not so much in favour of the EU but have some vague idea that they are “against racism”.

I think it's more that we realise that something so ardently supported by people like Liam Fox, Jacob Rees-Mogg and Nigel Farage probably has something a bit wrong with it.

We are also astute enough to see a plot coordinate by offshored finance capital and Russian oligarchs when we see one.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Tbh, that scenario doesn't make sense because the opinion of the public can change over time, (few months) doubt the quality of team does in 90 minutes.

But regardless, I think what they're asking is a vote for the deal at hand and not to leave Brexit. As long as the vote isn't used as a purposeful, indefinite delay of Brexit, I don't have a problem with it.

It clearly is, though... you’re an idiot if you think otherwise.
Really tragic what’s happening in the UK... and it’s all, well, mostly, down to Remain’s hypocrisy.

All that talk about how standing together is the best solution, yet here you are, dividing us. Pathetic.

I couldn’t care less about what you have to say about it, I know that deep down, you know it’s true.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It was a great march, absolutely huge turnout and masses of happy people peacefully but loudly demanding what we all now really need - a second referendum and a right to decide on any final Brexit deal if that is to be forced on us by a small group of extremist ideological Tories.

It was great to be part of such a powerful surge and it can only move forwards now. As the Brexiteers look more and more indifferent to the welfare of the country and our economy, the only alternative is another vote.

i'm not against another vote. my fear is that the issues are so complicated that the ordinary person wouldn't be able to make a sound decision. it's like asking a five year old how to solve the national debt.

if we did have a second referendum, i reckon a large percent of the population would decide the same way as last time -- vote to stick it to the establishment(!) rather than make a smart decision. (which is why we should have never asked the public on such matters in the first place.)

also, i think a large percent wouldn't want a second referendum because then they would have to take more responsibility when we get a sh*tty deal. no referendum, then we can only blame the government (yay!). not like i don't blame the gov for getting us into this mess in the first place. anyway, just my thoughts.
Original post by Trinculo

So you'd pay 50 billion? That was the going price last time I checked.Why exactly? What was so bad about the EU?
Original post by Occitanie
Really tragic what’s happening in the UK... and it’s all, well, mostly, down to Remain’s hypocrisy.

All that talk about how standing together is the best solution, yet here you are, dividing us.

Remainers are dividing us? Is the dogma really that ingrained in you? The Leave campaign is the divisive one, as uh y'know, they want to give the birdie to the EU. It's the Remain campaign that wants to avoid the split or at the very least try their best to not come out of this with a *****y deal just becase "No deal is better then a bad deal, herp derp".

I'm a Remainer. I don't want a 2nd referendum, but I do want to vote on whatever deal comes to the table. Whichever side a person is on, I can guarantee they think at least one of the sides is negotiationg unfairly; so why not let the public vote?
LEts just hope Brexit flops so we can get back to rejoining the EU. Suffer now to prevent worse things for the future
Original post by Occitanie
It clearly is, though... you’re an idiot if you think otherwise.

Such a London Met answer lol
"What do we want ?"

"A world beating trade deal with the people with whom we had a world beating trade deal until recently"

"When do we want it ?"

"By 11pm UK time on Friday 29 March, 2019 AD"

"or maybe a few years later"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending