The Student Room Group

Just a bit of a rant

So in an absolute **** show of a situation right now trying to find a house to live in.

So I finally managed to get some part time employment (and have savings so I am financially secure for at least 12 months) and as such could finally start looking for a house with some friends to rent...

That was nearly 2 months ago now. We have had houses constantly fall through for various reasons. Let before we even viewed it, landlord changed their mind and decided to sell instead of rent, Landlord not responding to any messages and Landlord increasing rent by several thousand pounds for no good reasons etc.

Anyway we finally have a house that looks like it may go through, we are just waiting on pre-approval from the landlord before we are referenced and credit checked. And here in lies the problem.

My credit score is garbage because I have no credit history. So here is a warning for pretty much all young people. Start building credit early, so you don't have problems like this. So now I'm looking to get a guaranteed approval credit card to boost my score asap (and since I never send money i don't have it would only ever be used responsibly).

But this comes with another problem. Legally speaking I am currently homeless. I moved out of my last house a couple of months ago and my mum moved out of the old family home and into a 1 bed due to bedroom tax the month before. Everything from my bank to my electoral role was registered at my mums old address. I'm living with my sister currently and have just changed my electoral role to here, but that may take a few days to go through. And before I can apply for the credit card I need to change my bank account address to my sisters as well. Which again may be a problem as I have no proof of address here and it seems 50/50 as to whether they will ask for proof of address. Hopefully they don't because, I literally have nothing to show them tied to this or any address at all.

All this hassle and stress to be able to move into a house I know I and my fellow future housemates can easily afford between us.

I understand why these systems are in place but the complete lack of any sort of flexibility really ****s people like me over.

Anyway rant over, please feel free to share similar stories or problems.
Original post by SophieSmall
So in an absolute **** show of a situation right now trying to find a house to live in.

So I finally managed to get some part time employment (and have savings so I am financially secure for at least 12 months) and as such could finally start looking for a house with some friends to rent...

That was nearly 2 months ago now. We have had houses constantly fall through for various reasons. Let before we even viewed it, landlord changed their mind and decided to sell instead of rent, Landlord not responding to any messages and Landlord increasing rent by several thousand pounds for no good reasons etc.

Anyway we finally have a house that looks like it may go through, we are just waiting on pre-approval from the landlord before we are referenced and credit checked. And here in lies the problem.

My credit score is garbage because I have no credit history. So here is a warning for pretty much all young people. Start building credit early, so you don't have problems like this. So now I'm looking to get a guaranteed approval credit card to boost my score asap (and since I never send money i don't have it would only ever be used responsibly).

But this comes with another problem. Legally speaking I am currently homeless. I moved out of my last house a couple of months ago and my mum moved out of the old family home and into a 1 bed due to bedroom tax the month before. Everything from my bank to my electoral role was registered at my mums old address. I'm living with my sister currently and have just changed my electoral role to here, but that may take a few days to go through. And before I can apply for the credit card I need to change my bank account address to my sisters as well. Which again may be a problem as I have no proof of address here and it seems 50/50 as to whether they will ask for proof of address. Hopefully they don't because, I literally have nothing to show them tied to this or any address at all.

All this hassle and stress to be able to move into a house I know I and my fellow future housemates can easily afford between us.

I understand why these systems are in place but the complete lack of any sort of flexibility really ****s people like me over.

Anyway rant over, please feel free to share similar stories or problems.

Can you have a word with the LL

They just want to know you dont have loads of debts.

A credit check might not show much activity but it will also show you dont have debts.

Can you offer him a larger deposit or rent insurance?

Sorry dont have my thinking head on at the moment.
Original post by 999tigger
Can you have a word with the LL

They just want to know you dont have loads of debts.

A credit check might not show much activity but it will also show you dont have debts.

Can you offer him a larger deposit or rent insurance?

Sorry dont have my thinking head on at the moment.

No, unlike 95% of rentals, it's all through an letting agency. Can't contact the landlord directly until after fees have been paid. Pretty standard practice. But I am going to discuss this with the lettings agency tomorrow.

I'm just angry and sick of all the hoops and being constantly let down. We should have moved into a house a month ago.
No, unlike 95% of rentals, it's all through an letting agency. Can't contact the landlord directly until after fees have been paid. Pretty standard practice. But I am going to discuss this with the lettings agency tomorrow.

I'm just angry and sick of all the hoops and being constantly let down. We should have moved into a house a month ago.

The letting agency can pass on the message for you. They can pass that on without fees.
What a stupid process and unnecessary, stressful experience. I hope it works out in the end, and fairly soon.
The letting agency can pass on the message for you. They can pass that on without fees.

Aye that's what I'm trying to do. Though I've had nothing but bad experiences with basically every letting agency so far.
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
What a stupid process and unnecessary, stressful experience. I hope it works out in the end, and fairly soon.

Thanks, me too.
Aye that's what I'm trying to do. Though I've had nothing but bad experiences with basically every letting agency so far.

Did you get a resolution to this?
Did you get a resolution to this?

Hey :smile:

Yeah, it's almost sorted now. Need to talk to the letting agency again tomorrow about who can pick up keys for the house for us to hopefully more in this weekend.

They're being a bit ridiculous and saying move in date has to be friday, but also that only the two tenants who have been referenced can pick up the keys. But they are completely failing to acknowledge that people have jobs and can't just come in at the drop of a hat, and since we are all legally named tenants we should all have the right to pick up keys.

I'm going to kick up one hell of a fuss tomorrow if they don't agree to let me pick up the keys, it's been about a month now of negotiations/red tape. It started to take the piss about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for asking. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending