The Student Room Group

Do you like London?

Poll

London!?

Where you live may influence your answer to this most important question:

DghkzRGX0AALIjW.jpg

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2018/06/25/where-london-most-and-least-popular/

Vote in the poll, and then mention your location.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I mean it’s expected right? The north is less accepting of London since they feel neglected by the government focus on the south compared to up north.
London is the best place to live in the UK (albeit I would never live in East London) but I think that most of Continental Europe and pretty much the New World, and maybe a lot of Asia, has better standard of living. Everything in London is so old that we need to demolish it all and rebuild it. In Europe they took care to develop everything but in the UK it's been up to private owners and mos t of them haven't given a damn. London basically has the cost-of-living of Paris but without the native culture or the infrastructure , nor the low taxes of a US city. It's also got the worst racial makeup of any non-EU developed city.

Everything here is old, expensive and god damn expensive. It's culture is basically that it gets more of Hollywood than the rest of the world, but that isn't something you'd care about if you lived somewhere else.It's getting really dominated by Muslims now and isn't such a hotsport for multiculturalism now that Indians are really spread out. It's basically a horrid place to live on a global scale.
It's not London that is the problem, it's the people that reside there. They have no manners.
Reply 4
yes i really do. well, i've only spent 2 weeks there total, but when i first moved here i landed in London and had a big-ass heavy suitcase and every tube station i hit someone always asked to help out. that would never ever happen in Toronto. Toronto is mean AF. tbh the tube rocks in general. best transport i've ever experienced and i've travelled a lot.
Reply 5
Original post by ProRoadman
I mean it’s expected right? The north is less accepting of London since they feel neglected by the government focus on the south compared to up north.

Is Cornwall in the north?
Original post by Doonesbury
Is Cornwall in the north?

FFS I think you'll find that nowhere outside London gets investment. The high cost-of-living eats up any high salaries in the South too. We're in the same **** as the rest of the Uk.
Rather live here than up north where they feed chickens and shear sheep for fun.
As cities go, its pretty good. Great place to visit and spend a few days - also a great place to be a student.

To live though? no chance, unless your rich its a huge waste of money, and for me personally it lacks a huge amount of the things that I want out of a place to call home.

No easy access to beaches/the sea, no great wildlife/countryside, no outdoor activities etc. But these are not criticisms of London specifically, but most large cities.
Original post by fallen_acorns
As cities go, its pretty good. Great place to visit and spend a few days - also a great place to be a student.

To live though? no chance, unless your rich its a huge waste of money, and for me personally it lacks a huge amount of the things that I want out of a place to call home.

No easy access to beaches/the sea, no great wildlife/countryside, no outdoor activities etc. But these are not criticisms of London specifically, but most large cities.

Most large cities actually are by the sea (NY, Tokyo, Rome, Qatar, LA, etc...) and most of them have access to the countryside too. London and Paris are unique but Paris has been better governed.
Original post by iwininmyroom
Most large cities actually are by the sea (NY, Tokyo, Rome, Qatar, LA, etc...) and most of them have access to the countryside too. London and Paris are unique but Paris has been better governed.

Being by the sea and having good access to the sea are not the same though. Recently I was in shanghai - which is very near the sea.. but you wouldn't go there to sit on a beach or for a swim.

Countryside proximity is more about how you define what is close and what isn't. Londoners can drive half an hour to get into some beautiful countryside, or take public transport.. but that's not the same as being able to walk outside your front door, stroll 5 minutes down the road and be in fields/rivers/woods (as was the case in the places I grew up in)
Reply 11

The Thames is tidal (and salty) in London and there's a beach in West London...
https://secretldn.com/beaches-near-london-seaside/

Also it has a huge amount of green space. :smile: Including deer in Richmond Park (amongst others).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Being by the sea and having good access to the sea are not the same though. Recently I was in shanghai - which is very near the sea.. but you wouldn't go there to sit on a beach or for a swim.

Countryside proximity is more about how you define what is close and what isn't. Londoners can drive half an hour to get into some beautiful countryside, or take public transport.. but that's not the same as being able to walk outside your front door, stroll 5 minutes down the road and be in fields/rivers/woods (as was the case in the places I grew up in)

I think you'd find that most of China has horrid beaches though since factories aren't concentrated in China - it's only a few places like Hong Kong that have good beaches. Tokyo, LA, NY, Qatar, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Vancouver, Montreal, Bueno Aries, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taipei, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, any Australian city, etc...
Alright for a holiday but wouldn't live there even if I got a bankers salary... Too many people, not enough nature, too expensive etc
According the the graph I'm in a very pro-London area, can't stand it myself though. Overcrowded, expensive, full of rude people. Some areas are alright for a day out if you fancy a bit of bustle, but I'd hate to live their.
Original post by Doonesbury
The Thames is tidal (and salty) in London and there's a beach in West London...
https://secretldn.com/beaches-near-london-seaside/

Also it has a huge amount of green space. :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

The closest proper beach on your list was still an hours train ride away. Its not the same for me as living in a popper coastal town or city where you can walk to the sea. In the southwest where I grew up, we would walk around the beaches after school, have bonfire parties on the beach in the summer etc. all things that kids in london just can't do. The beach is a trip for Londoners, rather then a part of life.

+ I would say it has a huge amount of green space *for a big city - for anyone from rural Brittan, its still incredibly developed and built up.

- As I said before though, these problems are not exclusive to London, they are the reason I don't like a lot of major cities, and wouldn't want to live in them.
I like multiculturalism things they got going on in there. Although you get that in northern cities as well so...

It does feel like London is trying to tell me to **** off with it's expensive cost of living. Also I like country side with peaks and mountains and the south just don't have that.

Also not talking to each other is not something to be proud of.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
I love it. Lively city with lots to do.
Awwww

awwww.JPG

poor little Rutland doesn't even get a say.
Reply 19
The closest proper beach on your list was still an hours train ride away. Its not the same for me as living in a popper coastal town or city where you can walk to the sea. In the southwest where I grew up, we would walk around the beaches after school, have bonfire parties on the beach in the summer etc. all things that kids in london just can't do. The beach is a trip for Londoners, rather then a part of life.

+ I would say it has a huge amount of green space *for a big city - for anyone from rural Brittan, its still incredibly developed and built up.

- As I said before though, these problems are not exclusive to London, they are the reason I don't like a lot of major cities, and wouldn't want to live in them.

Don't get me wrong, I was brought up beside the sea and do miss it :smile:

Also I do prefer to be reasonably close to London, but not actually in it...

Quick Reply