The Student Room Group

IGCSEs VS GCSEs

Let's settle this once and for all TSR, which one is harder? Why?
Edexcel's IGCSE further maths is the hardest you can get at that level - much harder than OCR's GCSE Additional Maths
Original post by 3pointonefour
Edexcel's IGCSE further maths is the hardest you can get at that level - much harder than OCR's GCSE Additional Maths

I've sat the Additional Maths exam and that almost blew my brains out. Not going to lie, I've heard that further maths is really hard though. What kinds of topics do you get?
Reply 3
Original post by TotallyWilde
Let's settle this once and for all TSR, which one is harder? Why?

there's no broad difference between the two. Each individual specification is different.
I've sat the Additional Maths exam and that almost blew my brains out. Not going to lie, I've heard that further maths is really hard though. What kinds of topics do you get?

Well I don't take the exam myself but here's the past papers to it:
http://www.igcse2009.com/igcse-mathematics/edexcel-further-pure-mathematics-pastpapers/
Well I don't take the exam myself but here's the past papers to it:
http://www.igcse2009.com/igcse-mathematics/edexcel-further-pure-mathematics-pastpapers/

nilesyy-nilez.jpg
nilesyy-nilez.jpg

Lol :biggrin:
Lol :biggrin:

8 pages in and I'm like NAH MATE
Original post by have
there's no broad difference between the two. Each individual specification is different.

A difference I've noticed is the amount and existence of coursework in IGCSEs compared to GCSEs...
Reply 9
A difference I've noticed is the amount and existence of coursework in IGCSEs compared to GCSEs...

Sure and coursework has very high grade boundaries, meaning if your teacher doesn't tell you what to write like in most schools, it's very hard getting top grades. Likewise if your teachers lose your coursework, which unfortunately happens surprisingly often, you end up losing a huge chunk of marks.
8 pages in and I'm like NAH MATE

Oh yeah, that was the old specification. The new one has some harder stuff but I think you get the point :tongue:
A-levels
In Maths, edexcel gcse is harder than igcse. CIE igcse I do not know but I’ve heard really bad things about it.

You have to know most formulae by heart for gcse whereas on igcse you get them given to you, but the questions tend to be slightly harder on average. Most people find memorising the formulae quite difficult so that’s what makes gcse harder for them. If your memory is good, igcse is even. Though gcse has a wider topic range though, and is particularly deeper in statistics, though not as deep in algebra. It also has no calculus at all. Overall it’s harder. And that’s coming from someone who did edexcel igcse 9-1 in 2018.

English, gcse is harder. Igcse is designed for fluent non-native speakers. Gcse is designed for native speakers. Enough said.

Sciences, I think they are pretty much even.

Don’t know anything about the others.
Original post by CoolCavy
A-levels

Lol

Quick Reply

Latest