The Student Room Group

Charity workers gang raped in India after performing anti-trafficking play

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/charity-workers-gang-raped-in-india-after-performing-anti-trafficking-play

Five activists putting on a play about the horror of human trafficking have allegedly been abducted and gang-raped at gunpoint in India's eastern state of Jharkhand this week.

The women, who work with a non-governmental organisation supported by local Christian missionaries, were staging street plays against human trafficking in Khunti, a predominantly tribal district on Tuesday, when they were attacked.

Why a young girl’s rape in India has become a political crisis

"As the play was in progress, a group of six armed men came on bikes and beat up the men accompanying them," police said on Friday.

"They then took the women away at gunpoint to the forests nearby where they were sexually assaulted."

The victims, aged between 19 and 35, were later released.

They filed a police complaint on Wednesday. Police arrested one of the suspects on Thursday and detained several more for questioning.
Medical tests to confirm the sexual assault were being conducted.

Police said the attackers were supporters of Pathalgadi, a tribal system that considers the village council the sole authority governing the village and which does not recognise the state's authority.

"The heinous crime was committed apparently by supporters of this movement who wanted to send a message to NGOs and government agencies to stay clear of their villages," the police officer said.

Media reports said the rapists made a video and used it to threaten the women with exposure if they complained.

India has been in the global spotlight since the 2012 gang rape and murder of a woman on a New Delhi bus sparked angry protests.
But the number of sex attacks has grown since then with some 39,000 rape cases reported nationally in 2016.

Jharkhand has been in the spotlight in particular after three teenagers were raped and burnt alive in separate incidents last month.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Absolutely disgusting.
Reply 2
Why can't India control it's people and create a new culture that doesn't allow these tribalistic ways of life? It's bloody ridiculous that the rape numbers are so high and they just sit on their hands. It's a corrupt country that needs sorting out.
Original post by iAngely
Why can't India control it's people and create a new culture that doesn't allow these tribalistic ways of life? It's bloody ridiculous that the rape numbers are so high and they just sit on their hands. It's a corrupt country that needs sorting out.

@iAngely whenever I go over this disgusting headlines I feel so depressed about my country. Yeah you are true rape figures are rapidly increasing few weeks ago 6 year old girl was abducted in wedding by waiter and brutally raped😢 this is so fu****g disgusting and there is no end to this they are many horrific cases from past Delhi gang rape in 2012. You know who is the big problem?? It law!!! iAngely no one flippin cares after doing crime because they can easily bribe police and lawyers maybe judge too😒 These people who do this stuff should be brought on streets and should be beaten up by people to death or they should be executed in some way or other. Until then this will never ever stop!! In India. I don’t know i am just crying howw can you freakingg rape 6 years old girl or anyone else mothers or sisters?? I look my own 5 years old sister in her eyes and just imagine how fuc***g broke we feel, those victims can be someones sister too
Reply 4
Original post by M_student
@iAngely whenever I go over this disgusting headlines I feel so depressed about my country. Yeah you are true rape figures are rapidly increasing few weeks ago 6 year old girl was abducted in wedding by waiter and brutally raped😢 this is so fu****g disgusting and there is no end to this they are many horrific cases from past Delhi gang rape in 2012. You know who is the big problem?? It law!!! iAngely no one flippin cares after doing crime because they can easily bribe police and lawyers maybe judge too😒 These people who do this stuff should be brought on streets and should be beaten up by people to death or they should be executed in some way or other. Until then this will never ever stop!! In India. I don’t know i am just crying howw can you freakingg rape 6 years old girl or anyone else mothers or sisters?? I look my own 5 years old sister in her eyes and just imagine how fuc***g broke we feel, those victims can be someones sister too

I won't pretend to know what it's like living in India but it's disgraceful that the government isn't governing the people like it should. It's bad that policemen can be easily bribed and something should be done about it. The infrastructure needs to be changed and India is rich enough to do it. Let's hope nothing happens to you or your sister.

There needs to be an intervention by the people otherwise nothing will change.
Original post by iAngely
I won't pretend to know what it's like living in India but it's disgraceful that the government isn't governing the people like it should. It's bad that policemen can be easily bribed and something should be done about it. The infrastructure needs to be changed and India is rich enough to do it. Let's hope nothing happens to you or your sister.

There needs to be an intervention by the people otherwise nothing will change.

I hope nothing happens Inshallah’ btw I live in London(brit asian) so its better here Allhamdulilah

Yeah they need proper fix up and this can only be done if Government change their policies and remove worst politicians
Reply 6
That's awful, but I do have to ask, who on earth thought that anything good would come from having women antagonise sex traffickers on their home turf in a country that has a rape culture and the legal system don't do anything about it? Unless they are some sort of sacrifice in an extreme publicity stunt to finally get the Indian government to do something?
Isn't this one of those states that are majority East Asian? Anyway, it's actually foriegn influence that causes these problems, because the more traditional south is better towards women.
Reply 8
Original post by iwininmyroom
Isn't this one of those states that are majority East Asian? Anyway, it's actually foriegn influence that causes these problems, because the more traditional south is better towards women.

I would have thought a tribal system would be the most traditional.
Original post by ThomH97
I would have thought a tribal system would be the most traditional.

I don't think India has had a tribal system since ever. It's one of the founding civilisations and most of the per-anceint culture is undiscovered - for example they only recently dug up the oldest Indian city in Tamil Nadu a couple of years ago.
Original post by ThomH97
That's awful, but I do have to ask, who on earth thought that anything good would come from having women antagonise sex traffickers on their home turf in a country that has a rape culture and the legal system don't do anything about it? Unless they are some sort of sacrifice in an extreme publicity stunt to finally get the Indian government to do something?

Cuz that's how change starts when women wanted the vote they had to do it in a time where men weren't as liberal. When coloured people wanted equality they had to do it at a time when white people were very racist using the bible as justification. Movement and change has to start somewhere, it's just disgusting that this is what's happening
I don't think India has had a tribal system since ever. It's one of the founding civilisations and most of the per-anceint culture is undiscovered - for example they only recently dug up the oldest Indian city in Tamil Nadu a couple of years ago.

I'm not sure what you're saying here apart from that nobody knows India's history?

Admittedly I'm going on the media and wikipedia, but the Khunti region is described as tribal, and I doubt that tribal behaviour just magically appears.
Original post by Bakuwinx12
Cuz that's how change starts when women wanted the vote they had to do it in a time where men weren't as liberal. When coloured people wanted equality they had to do it at a time when white people were very racist using the bible as justification. Movement and change has to start somewhere, it's just disgusting that this is what's happening

So you think the women were used as a sacrifice for publicity?
Honestly, India's such an advanced country in terms of technology and education but its treatment towards women and minorities is disgusting. Police can be bribed, judges and lawyers too. Anything will be done to just sweep the incident under a rug. When we go to India I have to stay with my Dad and Mum whilst holding their hands. I am a 16-year-old - yet I have to hold their hands so I will be kept safe. India is a corrupt country that needs to change but never will because of it's repeating the cycle in its government that is full of corruption. I'm so done with the country, trying to reason with them is impossible, even my own Uncles and Aunts. It's a patriarchal system which has built itself on female submission and mutilating the female sex ( it is ILLEGAL to know the sex of your baby before birth because of female fetus Genocide in India)
Original post by ThomH97
I'm not sure what you're saying here apart from that nobody knows India's history?

Admittedly I'm going on the media and wikipedia, but the Khunti region is described as tribal, and I doubt that tribal behaviour just magically appears.

Wikipedia is really biased and left-wing so has a racist angle in favour of Muslims. Even asking on biased Reddit would provide answers saying that Wikipedia was biased and we all know how left-wing Reddit is.
Original post by Bakuwinx12
Honestly, India's such an advanced country in terms of technology and education but its treatment towards women and minorities is disgusting. Police can be bribed, judges and lawyers too. Anything will be done to just sweep the incident under a rug. When we go to India I have to stay with my Dad and Mum whilst holding their hands. I am a 16-year-old - yet I have to hold their hands so I will be kept safe. India is a corrupt country that needs to change but never will because of it's repeating the cycle in its government that is full of corruption. I'm so done with the country, trying to reason with them is impossible, even my own Uncles and Aunts. It's a patriarchal system which has built itself on female submission and mutilating the female sex ( it is ILLEGAL to know the sex of your baby before birth because of female fetus Genocide in India)

Where do you live though? A lot of India is generally progressive but the media is heavily dominated by certain regions such as Mumbai and Delhi.
Wikipedia is really biased and left-wing so has a racist angle in favour of Muslims. Even asking on biased Reddit would provide answers saying that Wikipedia was biased and we all know how left-wing Reddit is.

So, give me a right wing source that says the Khunti region never had tribes? It's a rather obscure topic for me to find much detail about.
Original post by ThomH97
So, give me a right wing source that says the Khunti region never had tribes? It's a rather obscure topic for me to find much detail about.

You're still forgetting that India has some of the oldest civisations in the world and more importantly that these civilisations have been in continuous development till now. A lot of Hinduism was formed before Ancient Egypt and China.
You're still forgetting that India has some of the oldest civisations in the world and more importantly that these civilisations have been in continuous development till now. A lot of Hinduism was formed before Ancient Egypt and China.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. Give me a source that isn't your say-so.
Original post by ThomH97
Perhaps I should have been more specific. Give me a source that isn't your say-so.

I'm not quite sure what you're arguing though. I'm not saying the tribe didn't exist, but that ancient civilisations existed too. India has many tribal groups.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending