The Student Room Group

Help.

Attachment not found

Scroll to see replies

Which part are you struggling on?
What have you tried so far?
Do you understand transformations of graphs?
Reply 2
That is a very beautiful question
Reply 3
Original post by Ndanji678
Attachment not found

1)expand the brackets and plot the quadratic curve
2)transform the graphs- if you can’t then you’ll need to learn that first
3)then just find the equations of the new curves
Reply 4
Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths

I’ll look into transformations,I need help for b and c.
Original post by Pizza32

You don’t need to expand the brackets for part a unless they want the turning point too
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6

No I don’t
I’ll look into transformations,I need help for b and c.

If you look at transformations of graphs you can easily answer part b. Then once you have sketched them work out the new equation of the curve
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
If you look at transformations of graphs you can easily answer part b

Thanks a lot.
Reply 9
Original post by Pizza32

So how do I find the graph of the vertical translation?
Reply 10
If you look at transformations of graphs you can easily answer part b. Then once you have sketched them work out the new equation of the curve

I managed to plot the graph for the horizontal translation but need help on how to plot the vertical translation.
I managed to plot the graph for the horizontal translation but need help on how to plot the vertical translation.

f(x)+2 means the graph translates upwards by 2 units. This can be achieved by isolating specific points on the graph and moving them 2 places upwards then redrawing the graph. Essentially you are just adding 2 to each y coordinate
Reply 12
f(x)+2 means the graph translates upwards by 2 units. This can be achieved by isolating specific points on the graph and moving them 2 places upwards then redrawing the graph. Essentially you are just adding 2 to each y coordinate

So that’s how they got this?0E5D72F2-1878-4C8B-AEFF-DA2653E7D16C.jpg.jpeg
So that’s how they got this?0E5D72F2-1878-4C8B-AEFF-DA2653E7D16C.jpg.jpeg

Looks correct to me.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Looks incorrect to me. f(x)+2 does not effect your x coordinates therefore the roots of the curve should still be at (-2,0) and (1,0) which is not the case in that diagram

Thanks a lot,I got the same points but was comparing to the answer in this edexcel book making me feel like I got it incorrect.
Thanks a lot,I got the same points but was comparing to the answer in this edexcel book making me feel like I got it incorrect.

Edit: I have a strange feeling I’ve been taught this wrong. I believe they got that answer in the diagram by multiplying out the brackets, adding 2 to the result then factorising again to get the new roots. I believe this is the way it’s been done and is the correct way. Sorry for the hassle, I blame my teacher 😞.

CORRECT METHOD:
Expand f(x) to get x^2 x -2. You then need to add 2 since it wants the function of x and 2 more. This now cancels to get x^2 x. We set this to zero if we want the roots. We factorise to get x(x 1)=0 giving us roots of (0,0) and (-1,0).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
Sorry mate I’m a bit confused now. f(x) + a means a translation in the y direction by a vector (0,a) so you add ‘a’ amounts to each y coordinate. But when I used my graphical calculator I get the same graph you provided in the diagram so I’m confused now mate, sorry

I’m confused as well mate,maybe you know some people who can help? Or will you be able to get the answer?
I’m confused as well mate,maybe you know some people who can help? Or will you be able to get the answer?

Read my edited post ^ sorry for the hassle
Reply 18
Sorry mate I’m a bit confused now. f(x) a means a translation in the y direction by a vector (0,a) so you add ‘a’ amounts to each y coordinate. But when I used my graphical calculator I get the same graph you provided in the diagram so I’m confused now mate, sorry.

Edit: I have a strange feeling I’ve been taught this wrong. I believe they got that answer in the diagram by multiplying out the brackets, adding 2 to the result then factorising again to get the new roots. I believe this is the way it’s been done and is the correct way. Sorry for the hassle, I blame my teacher 😞.

CORRECT METHOD:
Expand f(x) to get x^2 x -2. You then need to add 2 since it wants the function of x and 2 more. This now cancels to get x^2 x. We set this to zero if we want the roots. We factorise to get x(x 1)=0 giving us roots of (0,0) and (-1,0).

Thanks a lot bruv.
Thanks a lot bruv.

No worries! Boy am I glad this type of transformation didn’t come up on our exam because our teacher taught us it incorrectly! As if!

Quick Reply

Latest