The Student Room Group

Rats everywhere in London

Rats of all types and sizes are infesting the whole London, they are everywhere creeping and climbing which makes everyone feel sick and scared. The overdue rubbish in bins rotting and stinking is encouraging the rats to ventures out to feed and enjoy themselves. East London seems worst but the councils do not seem to care! It is a terriying sight and I hope tourist will not see them otherwise it will be an international shame!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Virtually every major city has rats, no tourist will care. We're just used to less because of our usually fairly temperate climate.
Reply 2
i have travelled to 56 countries and lived in australia, canada, italy, US and new zealand. I never saw one single rat in melbourne for two years I lived there nor any in auckland. In Italy if they find a rat in any public and private building, the coucil closes down the whole place until the rat is caught and destroyed! In Toronto I could not find even a mouse for six months there. London, though, is the home of rats, they are in every house chewing everything, they creep in and out of rubbish bins as if they are in an amusement park. And, these rats are growing in size now! Some of latest ones I have seen are almost the size of a kitten. It was these rats which caused the Black Death in London in 16th century. It is said rats outnumber humans in London.
Reply 3
Original post by Kevin70
i have travelled to 56 countries and lived in australia, canada, italy, US and new zealand. I never saw one single rat in melbourne for two years I lived there nor any in auckland. In Italy if they find a rat in any public and private building, the coucil closes down the whole place until the rat is caught and destroyed! In Toronto I could not find even a mouse for six months there. London, though, is the home of rats, they are in every house chewing everything, they creep in and out of rubbish bins as if they are in an amusement park. And, these rats are growing in size now! Some of latest ones I have seen are almost the size of a kitten. It was these rats which caused the Black Death in London in 16th century. It is said rats outnumber humans in London.

really?? i lived in Sydney Aus, and Toronto Can. saw lots of rats in both places (not in homes, just out and about). maybe we lived in different parts of T.O.
Reply 4
Original post by Kevin70

I've been to a lot of those places; saw rats in Milan, Rome, Bari, Toronto. I can only assume, as is common human nature, your memory of these places is through rose tinted glasses.

https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/rat-emergency-in-rome.html

"Italy's health minister Beatrice Lorenzin has ordered a special health protection unit of thecarabinieri to "clean up Rome" as the city's rat problem escalates."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-to-formulated-rat-infestation-strategy-1.4637567

"City council has voted to order staff to come up with a plan to deal with rats as more reports of rodent sightings surface this time in the Bloordale area."

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/08/melbourne-rat-plague-unleashed-after-rail-works-disturb-habitat

"The City of Melbourne council has hired pest control contractors to help control the “rat plague”."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/23/new-zealand-hot-summer-leads-to-a-ten-fold-explosion-in-rat-population

“We’ve had experience where we’ve had bird populations completely wiped out from high rat numbers"

Once again, there is nothing unusual about the number of rats in London; it happens in virtually every large city.

Oh, and the Black Death also affected most of Europe.
(edited 5 years ago)
You are about 160ft away from a rat. The 6ft myth was debunked a long time ago.
Original post by Kevin70

In the UK people outnumber rats at about 6 to 1.
Reply 7
Escapism will not reduce the number of rats and dirt in London, this is what the councils have been doing to cover up the severity of rats infestation in London. Melbourne, Toronto, Italy and New Zealand are not compareable to London in the slightest. Auckland and Melbourne are so clean and tidy that you think you are on a different planet. Northern Italy is so clean that you cannot even find a mosquito there let alone rats. Sanitation condition in London reminds me of Cairo and Calcutta. Councils must join forces and pull their resouces to deal with the sanitation condition of London otherwise in a few years’ time the Londoners will find themselves in the grip of all types of bacterial infections specially as TB is still a big rampant problem in UK.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Kevin70
Escapism will not reduce the number of rats and dirt in London, this is what the councils have been doing to cover up the severity of rats infestation in London. Melbourne, Toronto, Italy and New Zealand are not compareable to London in the slightest. Auckland and Melbourne are so clean and tidy that you think you are on a different planet. Northern Italy is so clean that you cannot even find a mosquito let alone rats. Sanitation condition in London reminds me of Cairo and Calcutta. Council must join forces and pull their resouces to deal with the sanitation condition of London otherwise in a few years’ time the Londoners will find themselves in the grip of all types of bacterial infections specially as TB is still a big problem in UK.

You've been comprehensively proven wrong on every count. Simply repeating it is moronic and indicative of a troll.

From what I've shown it should be clear to anyone else who stumbles upon this thread that you are either deluded or a liar so my work here is done. Ciao.
Reply 9
Original post by Kevin70
In Toronto I could not find even a mouse for six months there.

http://www.chch.com/oh-rats-hamilton-named-canadas-5th-rattiest-city/

"Orkin Canada has named Hamilton the fifth “rattiest” city in the country for the second year in a row.
Toronto tops the list, followed by Ottawa, Mississauga and Scarborough."
I can’t say I’ve ever seen a rat when walking around London.
Reply 11
Responsibility of cleaning up London and improving santation conditions specially in East London lies with the councils and governments. Westminister should spend more time on dealing with environmental issues than beating the war drum with Russia and EU. People deserve clean and tidy habitat and the dire sanitation condition in London is a breach of their human rights. Besides, the tourists who come to London and may venture out to other boroughs will develop a low opinion of London and UK. Of courde, overpopulation, chaotic public transport, widespread homelessness and lack of social intergrity are also big problems but first things first which means an inhabitable clean and healthy environment. It is a shame to see rats and rodents everywhere in London, this is in breach of all health regulations and WHO should also step in to alleviate this big problem. Also, one reason why bed bug is such a huge problem in London goes back to poor sanitation and hygiene. Bed bugs can transfer all types of contagious illnesses. One big source of bed bugs is the underground train seats which do not get cleaned once in a decade.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Kevin70
TB is still a big rampant problem in UK.

TB is in decline in the UK.
https://www.tbalert.org/about-tb/statistics-a-targets/uk-stats-and-targets/
Original post by Kevin70
Rats of all types and sizes are infesting the whole London, they are everywhere creeping and climbing which makes everyone feel sick and scared. The overdue rubbish in bins rotting and stinking is encouraging the rats to ventures out to feed and enjoy themselves. East London seems worst but the councils do not seem to care! It is a terriying sight and I hope tourist will not see them otherwise it will be an international shame!

DiD yOu KnOw tHaT tHeRe ArE aLsO rAtS iN EsSEx
Reply 14
Does anyone recognise this guys typing style? Because it's fairly clearly just a throwaway troll account.
Reply 15
Essex has also been suffering from rats but situation there is in no way comparable to London. Essex is still much more cleaner than London with less pollution and traffic. However, there is still plenty of room for improvement to get Essex to the same level as Kent and Norwich.
Reply 16
Responsibility of cleaning up London and improving santation conditions specially in East London lies with the councils and governments. Westminister should spend more time on dealing with environmental issues than beating the war drum with Russia and EU. People deserve clean and tidy habitat and the dire sanitation condition in London is a breach of their human rights. Besides, the tourists who come to London and may venture out to other boroughs will develop a low opinion of London and UK. Of courde, overpopulation, chaotic public transport, widespread homelessness and lack of social intergrity are also big problems but first things first which means an inhabitable clean and healthy environment. It is a shame to see rats and rodents everywhere in London, this is in breach of all health regulations and WHO should also step in to alleviate this big problem. Also, one reason why bed bug is such a huge problem in London goes back to poor sanitation and hygiene. Bed bugs can transfer all types of contagious illnesses. One big source of bed bugs is the underground train seats which do not get cleaned once in a decade.
Reply 17
Councils and councillors admit that hygiene and sanitation in London are very poor but their admission is not enough, action is needed. When it comes to action, they say they aim to improve sanitation in the capital but their hands are tied because of budget shortage and government cuts, therefore, pressure must be put on Westminister to wake up and do something before infectious diseases get out of control completely.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kevin70

And there we have it...
Original post by Kevin70

I love rats!!! ❤🐁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending