The Student Room Group

GCSE Chemistry Hydrocarbons

I have attached the question about hydrocarbons.
I don't know how to name the haloalkenes.
Is there a rule for naming it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Sahba7413
I have attached the question about hydrocarbons.

15300412161221829646283.jpg
15300412161221829646283.jpg

a) Look at the longest carbon chain, you know that is only one carbon hence it is associated with 'methane'. You also know that a chlorine is attached in place of an hydrogen in the compound. Putting methane at the end and adding the chlorine group to the front, what name do you get?
Rules for other questions:
1) When you have more than chlorine or bromine or water, you do di for 2, tri for 3, tetra for 4 etc.
2) When you have more than one carbon in the chain, this is associated with ethane, propane, butane etc.
3) Look at positions of chlorine or bromine too. You do this by checking which carbon number the chlorine group is attached to.
If you assign numbers to all the carbon atoms in the molecule containing chlorine, you start carbon 1 at the carbon which is attached to the chlorine atom.
Read up on the CIP priority rules, it'll help answer these questions.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
a) Look at the longest carbon chain, you know that is only one carbon hence it is associated with 'methane'. You also know that a chlorine is attached in place of an hydrogen in the compound. Putting methane at the end and adding the chlorine group to the front, what name do you get?
Rules for other questions:
1) When you have more than chlorine or bromine or water, you do di for 2, tri for 3, tetra for 4 etc.
2) When you have more than one carbon in the chain, this is associated with ethane, propane, butane etc.
3) Look at positions of chlorine or bromine too. You do this by checking which carbon number the chlorine group is attached to.
If you assign numbers to all the carbon atoms in the molecule containing chlorine, you start carbon 1 at the carbon which is attached to the chlorine atom.
Read up on the CIP priority rules, it'll help answer these questions.

Thanks a lot; so would the first one be chloromethane??
(edited 5 years ago)
Thanks a lot; so would the first one be chloromethane??

Yes! You've got it now, just apply that to every question. I'll check them if you post it here.
Reply 5
Yes! You've got it now, just apply that to every question. I'll check them if you post it here.

Also, in the example it says 1,1-dibromo-2-chloroethene but shouldn't it be 2,2-dibromo-1-chloroethene because of the positions?
I'll try to do the questions now,thanks for your help.
Also, in the example it says 1,1-dibromo-2-chloroethene but shouldn't it be 2,2-dibromo-1-chloroethene because of the positions?
I'll try to do the questions now,thanks for your help.

In this case you follow another CIP priority rule. You prioritise the halogen which is alphabetically lowest or nearest to a. So b is before c therefore bromine has priority. Therefore it'll be 1,1-dibromo-2-chloroethane.
Reply 7
In this case you follow another CIP priority rule. You prioritise the halogen which is alphabetically lowest or nearest to a. So b is before c therefore bromine has priority. Therefore it'll be 1,1-dibromo-2-chloroethane.

Can you please check my answers:
b) 1,1-dimethane-1-bromomethane
c) 1,1-trichloromethane
d)1,1-trichloroethane
Can you please check my answers:
b) 1,1-dimethane-1-bromomethane
c) 1,1-trichloromethane
d)1,1-trichloroethane

For c and d, for tri chloro it is 1,1,1.
For b, you need to draw out the the two CH3's. This would mean the longest carbon chain is 3 carbon chains long. The bromine atom is attached to the second carbon atom. Therefore it is 2-bromopropane.
Reply 9
For c and d, for tri chloro it is 1,1,1.
For b, you need to draw out the the two CH3's. This would mean the longest carbon chain is 3 carbon chains long. The bromine atom is attached to the second carbon atom. Therefore it is 2-bromopropane.

That makes sense, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest