The Student Room Group

What If I failed my english exam?

English was always my worst subject. I was amazing at Literature but I was never any good at Language. All my exams went amazing but knowing how my grades for Language went up and down all the time I know that there is a chance I might have failed it. Are there any options to re-do the exam during the holidays after I get my results? I'm planning to start studying for it now in case I failed.

Are there any opportunities for me to resit my exams during the holidays? Can I only resit my Language exam or do I also have to resit Literature?
You only have to re-sit language and even if you fail you might not have to resit it at all as long as you have one English GCSE
Original post by Lau2en _
You only have to re-sit language and even if you fail you might not have to resit it at all as long as you have one English GCSE

That's great - less work for me. If I fail my English I might not be able to get into the only sixth form that I applied to. I want to redo it anyway if it's not good enough.
If it’s not good enough, I wouldn’t recommend redoing it, I’d say move on and focus on A Levels, they’re harder and more important, if you can’t get into the sixth form you applied to, you will have to go to another and work harder and they might even let you in in Year 13. Don’t dwell on it if you fail, just move on.
If it’s not good enough, I wouldn’t recommend redoing it, I’d say move on and focus on A Levels, they’re harder and more important, if you can’t get into the sixth form you applied to, you will have to go to another and work harder and they might even let you in Year 13. Don’t dwell on it if you fail, just move on.

Considering my A level options, I don't think I will struggle with them. I chose maths which I have been amazing at since I was a child, psychology which I already have an interest in and physics which I find fascinating but I will have to do revision for it. I think I could manage to redo my English.
Sorry, I thought you might be taking 4 as that seems more common (around my friends anyway) I’d retake it if you wanted to but if you passed and even if it was a low grade like a 5 or 6 I wouldn’t retake it as your a levels are time consuming anyway and you want a social life as well so I wouldn’t retake it as you seem like you don’t enjoy it either
Reply 6
Failed my GCSE English Language three times and passed on the 4th attempt. It's a requirement by most 6th forms, colleges and universities for you to pass it, depending on how strict your school/college is there is a good chance they will let you in but require you to attend extra English lessons during the week and you'll have two shots at the exam in the year, one in November and one in June.

I did the old A*-C GCSE so I'm not sure how much help this info is to you as I have heard the new English language GCSE is exam only ? Anyways it's not the end of the world if you haven't passed, just keep trying and you will eventually get there, good luck :smile:
If you don't have English language or maths GCSEs sixth forms won't get funding for you to take your course unless you are also studying English or maths GCSE, so if you haven't passed then you will have to retake it whichever sixth form you go to. You can't retake it this summer - only in November or next summer.

Personally I think it is worth a retake if you get a 4 and think you could get a 5, even though a 4 counts as a pass - some unis and employers are asking for 5s in English and Maths.
Original post by 2childmum
If you don't have English language or maths GCSEs sixth forms won't get funding for you to take your course unless you are also studying English or maths GCSE, so if you haven't passed then you will have to retake it whichever sixth form you go to. You can't retake it this summer - only in November or next summer.

Personally I think it is worth a retake if you get a 4 and think you could get a 5, even though a 4 counts as a pass - some unis and employers are asking for 5s in English and Maths.

I don't fully get the first part. Are you trying to say that if I failed either English or Maths that I have to do it next year otherwise most if not all sixth forms won't accept me or are you saying that if I fail either of them (let's say English) I can get into a sixth form as long as I study either English or maths (let's say I do maths)? You probably meant the first option but it would be great if the latter was the case. I suck at English but I'm alright at maths.
Original post by TomHey98
Failed my GCSE English Language three times and passed on the 4th attempt. It's a requirement by most 6th forms, colleges and universities for you to pass it, depending on how strict your school/college is there is a good chance they will let you in but require you to attend extra English lessons during the week and you'll have two shots at the exam in the year, one in November and one in June.

I did the old A*-C GCSE so I'm not sure how much help this info is to you as I have heard the new English language GCSE is exam only ? Anyways it's not the end of the world if you haven't passed, just keep trying and you will eventually get there, good luck :smile:

Thanks for the information. I think that it's probably the same right now since from what I heard they only made the tests "harder."
Sorry, I thought you might be taking 4 as that seems more common (around my friends anyway) I’d retake it if you wanted to but if you passed and even if it was a low grade like a 5 or 6 I wouldn’t retake it as your a levels are time consuming anyway and you want a social life as well so I wouldn’t retake it as you seem like you don’t enjoy it either

I was thinking the same thing but knowing me it will be a 4 if I'm lucky. I was going to take 4 but I think I think I might give up on studying history because the teacher at the sixth form where I'm going is kinda a bit weird and I lost interest in the subject over time.
Original post by Carolina K.
I don't fully get the first part. Are you trying to say that if I failed either English or Maths that I have to do it next year otherwise most if not all sixth forms won't accept me or are you saying that if I fail either of them (let's say English) I can get into a sixth form as long as I study either English or maths (let's say I do maths)? You probably meant the first option but it would be great if the latter was the case. I suck at English but I'm alright at maths.

If you fail English then the sixth form will only get funding for you to do the course you want to do if you also retake English. And the same is true for Maths.

So if you fail english the sixth form will make you retake it, and if you fail maths the sixth form will make you retake it.

There doesn't seem to be any sixth forms around here that will let you take A levels in anything if you haven't passed english and maths - some want a 4 and some want a 5. But that might not be true everywhere
Original post by 2childmum
If you fail English then the sixth form will only get funding for you to do the course you want to do if you also retake English. And the same is true for Maths.

So if you fail english the sixth form will make you retake it, and if you fail maths the sixth form will make you retake it.

There doesn't seem to be any sixth forms around here that will let you take A levels in anything if you haven't passed english and maths - some want a 4 and some want a 5. But that might not be true everywhere

This is true, went to two colleges with the first course lasting a year and the second lasting two years, for three years after finishing Y11 I had to study English and it was horrible, if you didn't turn up to your English lessons you would be thrown off your main course because the college wouldn't get the funding, luckily I passed in my final year and got into uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest