The Student Room Group

Hospital Work Experience

Hi,
I would like to do work experience over this summer as I have just finished my GCSEs and I want to do medicine (hopefully) after A-levels. I'm about apply to some hospitals (I know it's quite late :/ ) but they ask area of preference to do my work experience in but I have no specific preference right now so I'm not too sure, but I have to choose quickly.

So i was wondering if any of you have already done work experience in hospitals in any specific area and if you liked that specific area or would have wanted to work in another section instead? Did you learn a lot? Was it mostly shadowing?

Any other help/tips in getting hospital work experience/other medical related work experience (GPs, carehomes etc) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sara232
Hi,
I would like to do work experience over this summer as I have just finished my GCSEs and I want to do medicine (hopefully) after A-levels. I'm about apply to some hospitals (I know it's quite late :/ ) but they ask area of preference to do my work experience in but I have no specific preference right now so I'm not too sure, but I have to choose quickly.

So i was wondering if any of you have already done work experience in hospitals in any specific area and if you liked that specific area or would have wanted to work in another section instead? Did you learn a lot? Was it mostly shadowing?

Any other help/tips in getting hospital work experience/other medical related work experience (GPs, carehomes etc) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I did work experience (shadowing) in the research department (clinical trials)
Original post by Sara232
Hi,

Thanks!

Hi I have also just finished my exams (GCSE’s) I have my work experience scheduled for the 9th of July. I arranged this in April and even then I did not get the dates that I wanted. I am doing my work experience in the outpatients department as this is where they allow 16 year olds. (They probably do in other places as well though)
Reply 3
Original post by BorrusiaTeeth
I did work experience (shadowing) in the research department (clinical trials)

How did it go?
Reply 4
Original post by Lowri.frncs
Hi I have also just finished my exams (GCSE’s) I have my work experience scheduled for the 9th of July. I arranged this in April and even then I did not get the dates that I wanted. I am doing my work experience in the outpatients department as this is where they allow 16 year olds. (They probably do in other places as well though)

How did you arrange it? Good luck!
Original post by Sara232
How did you arrange it? Good luck!

I contacted my local health board, each county in the UK has one. The easiest way to find it is to google your local hospital and find a section that says volunteering/ working with us or something like work experience. My health board had a form online that I had to fill in and send of. I was told there would be a six week wait (which there was) and I received a phone call confirming the date. And then it was arranged. I also had the option to arrange it through the sixth form that I have applied to as they have connections within the hospitals. Perhaps you could ask your sixth form or just go through your local hospital.
Original post by Sara232
Hi,

The bulk of med school is bog standard general adult medicine (cardiology, respiratory medicine, endocrinology, geriatrics etc) and general surgical specialties, so you can't go wrong by spending time in any of those areas. A&E is also good, if you can get it.
Original post by Sara232
How did it go?

It was ok

Just talked to patients. I saw one of the data collection stages of the STAMPEDE and TUXEDO trials.
Reply 8
Original post by Sara232
Hi,

Thanks!

Getting work experience in hospital at that age can be quite difficult, and isn't required for a lot of medical schools - although it does help. What a lot of medical schools want is for you to do some work experience in a care home, which should be a lot easier to arrange than a hospital placement. Maybe you could talk to the work experience people in your school and ask them to help you find some work experience in a caring role.
Reply 9
It was ok

Just talked to patients. I saw one of the data collection stages of the STAMPEDE and TUXEDO trials.

Sounds good, it's always fun to speak to patients
Original post by Sara232
Sounds good, it's always fun to speak to patients

Yep, I loved it. I was very nervous to begin with but then it just gets really comfortable
Reply 11
Yep, I loved it. I was very nervous to begin with but then it just gets really comfortable

Ah I can imagine, what kind of things did you talk about?
Original post by Sara232
Ah I can imagine, what kind of things did you talk about?

Nothing too medically related we talked about football, the weather etc. It was just a normal conversation
Reply 13
Nothing too medically related we talked about football, the weather etc. It was just a normal conversation

Haha definitely shows you have the skills for it to make the conversation so social and casual! thats one thing I'm scared of
Original post by Sara232
Haha definitely shows you have the skills for it to make the conversation so social and casual! thats one thing I'm scared of

:smile: I love people I'm sure you will be fine once you get into it
Reply 15
:smile: I love people I'm sure you will be fine once you get into it

Thanks a lot :smile: are you doing a levels now?
Original post by Sara232
Thanks a lot :smile: are you doing a levels now?

nope finished a-levels already I'm on a gap year this year :/
Reply 17
nope finished a-levels already I'm on a gap year this year :/

Oh nice, what subjects did you do?
Original post by Sara232
Oh nice, what subjects did you do?

Maths, biology, physics

Only one I completed was physics lol
Reply 19
Maths, biology, physics