The Student Room Group

Final Uni Grade

Hello!I have been calcuated my final uni grade, with the years worths 10% 30% and 60% (I think this is correct?) and it has come out at 49.6%, Im gutted because I tried really hard whilst still holding down work within the army and doing the work over the evenings and weekends.I really hoped to finish with a 2:2! Is there any chance that Uni might bump me up as i'm only short by 0.4%?Its killing me with worry as I have done by 4 years and am leaving the army to try something new and was banking on having at least a 2:2.HELP!
Reply 1
Original post by MightyPlym
Hello!I have been calcuated my final uni grade, with the years worths 10% 30% and 60% (I think this is correct?) and it has come out at 49.6%, Im gutted because I tried really hard whilst still holding down work within the army and doing the work over the evenings and weekends.I really hoped to finish with a 2:2! Is there any chance that Uni might bump me up as i'm only short by 0.4%?

It will depend on exactly what the university's rules say.

If they work purely on the mathematical average, then you'll get a 3rd (assuming your calculations are right).

But they may have flexibility to look at the overall pattern of marks if you're close to a boundary.

For example, if most of your marks were at 2:2 level and your overall average was pulled down by a single particularly low mark, they may be able to conclude that you were a 2:2 student who was unlucky on one paper and give you a 2:2.
Hi!

It's pretty much as martin7 has said. Every uni has different rules about this! LJMU does bump grades up slightly if say the student is 0.5% away from a first for instance, but there are other factors as well. It can never be guaranteed and unfortunately there does have to be a cut off at some point :frown:

If your uni has given you that grade, then there is probably nothing you can do about it unless you think anything should be remarked. If you're going off what you've calculated yourself you can maybe ask the uni about their policy and make sure your maths is correct! Either way it all depends on your uni.

You should still be proud of yourself whatever the case. It shouldn't negate that you still put in hard work!

All the best of luck!
Alex (ljmu rep)
Reply 3
I have been looking at the handbook and this is stated.

"To be awarded an Honours degree for BSc/BA or BEng programmes you should have
passed 360 credits of which at least 120 are at Level 4 (Stage 1), 120 are a Level 5 (Stage 2) and a further 120 at Level 6 (Stage 4). For students who entered Stage 1 from September 2014 onwards, the Honours classification is initially based on your aggregate percentage mark normally calculated using a ratio of 1:3:6. Please note some programmes have exceptions to this; please check with your programme lead. This means that the final aggregate for a three year degree is typically calculated by applying a scale factor of 0.1 to the best 80 credits of the Level 4 marks (taken in Stage 1) 0.3 to the Level 5 marks (taken in Stage 2) and 0.6 to the Level 6 marks (taken in Stage 4)."

To me this says you need 120 credits in each year to progress, but the actual grade is only calculated from the best 4 modules presuming they are 20 credits each?

Thanks!
Original post by MightyPlym
I have been looking at the handbook and this is stated.

"To be awarded an Honours degree for BSc/BA or BEng programmes you should have
passed 360 credits of which at least 120 are at Level 4 (Stage 1), 120 are a Level 5 (Stage 2) and a further 120 at Level 6 (Stage 4). For students who entered Stage 1 from September 2014 onwards, the Honours classification is initially based on your aggregate percentage mark normally calculated using a ratio of 1:3:6. Please note some programmes have exceptions to this; please check with your programme lead. This means that the final aggregate for a three year degree is typically calculated by applying a scale factor of 0.1 to the best 80 credits of the Level 4 marks (taken in Stage 1) 0.3 to the Level 5 marks (taken in Stage 2) and 0.6 to the Level 6 marks (taken in Stage 4)."

To me this says you need 120 credits in each year to progress, but the actual grade is only calculated from the best 4 modules presuming they are 20 credits each?

Thanks!

Hmm, they don't like putting things in simple terms do they. To avoid guesswork and disappointment I would ask the uni, even in a simple email. I would agree though that it looks like they drop your worst module before giving your overall mark. That is a practice which is fairly common and also done here at LJMU.
Reply 5
Original post by Liverpool John Moores
Hmm, they don't like putting things in simple terms do they. To avoid guesswork and disappointment I would ask the uni, even in a simple email. I would agree though that it looks like they drop your worst module before giving your overall mark. That is a practice which is fairly common and also done here at LJMU.

Thanks, if every year is 120 credits and they are just taking the highest 80 thats 3 modules a year that dont really matter unless you dont pass.
This seems strange to me, I have emailed the uni and will report back!

Ever hopeful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending