The Student Room Group

Gp practice manager does not like me

As the title mentions.

I am an f2 and had a sneaky feeling that the Practice manager did not like me. Today confirmed that feeling when she accused me of not using EMIS properly and raised it to the GPS who nicely defended me and said I used it correctly as they can see the entries. She then pinpointed that I should of communicated that I documented he emteries (which I was trying to tell her when she was accusing me).

I feel like there is a lot of micro managing. Our slots went from 20mins to 10mins and sometimes we finish our slots at 15 mins and she said it’s not acceptable.

Ido t know what to do as I have been polite to her but she really is trying her best to bring me down.

I overheard her in the corridor talking about me to the receptionist and felt it was very unprofessional.
Reply 1
I used to use EMIS but the text version, not the GUI version.
I find junior doctors working in GP seem to come across a lot of hostility from practice managers which doesn't make sense since the practice get a lot of income from the deanery for hosting you in a training job, and you end up doing a lot of work for them!

10 minutes may be appropriate appointment length for a fully qualified GP but they certainly are not for an F2. I would expect you to be getting 20 minutes at least until near the end of the post.
Have a chat to your peers and find out what other practices do locally.
You are there to learn, not to worry about their workload.
Original post by Anonymous
As the title mentions.

I am an f2 and had a sneaky feeling that the Practice manager did not like me. Today confirmed that feeling when she accused me of not using EMIS properly and raised it to the GPS who nicely defended me and said I used it correctly as they can see the entries. She then pinpointed that I should of communicated that I documented he emteries (which I was trying to tell her when she was accusing me).

I feel like there is a lot of micro managing. Our slots went from 20mins to 10mins and sometimes we finish our slots at 15 mins and she said it’s not acceptable.

Ido t know what to do as I have been polite to her but she really is trying her best to bring me down.

If the other GPs have stuck up for you then presumably they're happy with your work? How does your clinical supervisor feel you're getting on?

It would have clearly been preferable if she'd brought up the EMIS thing to you in a nicer manner and used it as a learning opportunity (setting aside the fact that you were using it correctly) but there's a month left til FY2 ends - how much is it bothering you? If it were me I'd probably shrug it off, continue to be polite and professional and get through the next four weeks safe in the knowledge that I'll never have to see her again.

I overheard her in the corridor talking about me to the receptionist and felt it was very unprofessional.

What was she saying about you to the receptionist?
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
What was she saying about you to the receptionist?

Yh I’m interested too. Judging from the way she’s behaving she must hate you for no apparent reason which I’ve seen happen on numerous occasions.
Reply 5
I would make an official complaint about the practice to the TPD unless your ES nips it in the bud immediately. FY2s are not supposed to be doing 10 minutes slots and you are frankly being exploited. Stop taking it. You aren't there to provide service and this bullying attitude needs to be addressed.
Reply 6
To add, I have NEVER heard of F2s doing 10 minute slots! Most common I've heard is 30mins at the beginning of the block, 20mins later on assuming you're getting on well. It's pretty common for GPSTs to struggle with 10 minute slots at first, so the mere idea that she is criticising an F2 for not managing that pace is pretty outrageous to me
I missed the part about 10 minute slots - yeah, that's mad. I was on 30 min slots for my FY2 job and the SpRs were on 10-20 mins. Definitely take this further.
10 minutes is crazy, especially to criticise you for not managing to cope with that time slot. I started on 30 mins and went down to 15 mins, as an F2 I've never heard of being made to do 10 minute slots. I would escalate this to the person in charge of your GP rotation and also talk to your supervising GP - presumably they told discussed with you about changing it to 10 minutes and you weren't on that from the start? If you can speak to your peers in the deanery I bet none of them will be doing 10 minutes and you can use that to add some weight to your case. You could frame it that you are mostly coping with it but that 10 minute slots is not in keeping with what is usually asked of F2s in GP (as per all your colleagues), and you are also being criticised when you fail to stick to it, which is putting inappropriate pressure on you at your stage of training.

The deanery should then feed back on this to the practice which would effectively result in your practice manager also realising how inappropriate this is. There's no way they should be pressuring a trainee like that when it comes to GP.
Original post by Anonymous
As the title mentions.

Talk to the GPs/clinical supervisor, they should put an end to this asap. Do not let yourself get bullied by a practice manager. They are not your superiors/seniors, they are employed by the GP partners to run the admin of practice. Other than performing the secretarial work involved in hiring a foundation trainee, they should not be having any other input.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending